Bangladesh 20/20s

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Donald

Re: Bangladesh 20/20s

Post by Donald »

Everyone is assuming that Ervine will open. He could come in at first drop with Marumani and overlord opening.

J Campbell is very much unproven at 20/20 level but it's good for him to be around the team. We need him for the ireland test for sure

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ya I agree on paper Ervine and Gumbie are a poor combo.
I just think Marumani is better suited down the order.
Bennett would be an option?
He's done well so far, but historically he has never been a T20 player.
We're almost in a position where you have to "hide" good players because their strike rate is suspect and they take time to get going.
We so often forget that we big up guys who've anchored in a losing cause. Makes their stats look good but their slow starts, either out of necessity or its because its the way they like to play has led to problems in the first place.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ya if you look at Marumani's innings and stats it's bloody dismal. Hard to defend his continued selections, but he does have a rare skill set at domestic level. Everyone, including me, seems to think he can make the jump.
I saw in his last good innings his runs mostly came from a pick up behind square, it worked, but was quite one dimensional. It showed a lack of confidence in his ability to smack it in front of square, which is always a warning sign that someone is feeling the pinch.
This lack of support for young players is an issue.
The rumour is there are new coaches for next season. Maybe a few of the young guys will benefit from that?
We're not going to know if Wes has benefitted from the Mangongo boot camp until he gets another extended international run, which is inevitable.
Myers is about to appear and is going to get a direct entry as well.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Gumbie will end up adjusting like Chakabva did. Hopefully better than Chakabva did. Sometimes at international level you just need stability instead of a Maru type of player with all the shots but is suspect under pressure. I wouldn’t mind him rotating with Craig for a few games.

As much as I really dislike Craig playing T20s his anchor role can work. He won us that game against Sri Lanka just as much as Luke and Madande. We have history of completely crumbling up top. If Gumbie can work on getting his solid 30 runs off maybe 25 balls initially, that’s not the worst thing because we know he will score that 30 against good or mediocre opponents

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

As for Madande I like the fact that he looks like the kid who is adjusting the best to international cricket. Talent is only half the job. He has found at least one good shot to clear the ropes which is a start. If he keeps working he will play for us for a very long time

Donald

Post by Donald »

Just like when people questioned Gumbie Inclusion before he scored a big daddy century against Glamorgan and a limited over century against Pakistan Shaheens A side.

This guy has fought bloody hard to get into this set up unlike some I could mention.

Let's back the guy, Admit he had worked his socks off on his game and wish him well against Bangladesh. I have a feeling he will surprise the naysayers again.

Plus His BT ramp shot is a thing of wonder, Bit of a homage to him if you ask me 😅😃

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Donald is definitely Joylord's cousin or something.

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

Googly wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:54 pm
Ya Overlord continues to be underrated by many.
He's a fast learner. I've actually not seen any Zim player show such obvious improvement over the years. Plus he's a good keeper. I know they bat in different spots, but for me he starts before Madande every time as keeper batsman. I think I'm the only guy here who doesnt wax lyrical about Clive, dont get me wrong, he's a good player, but Ode to Joy is better in all formats. He has been Mr Reliable in getting us off to solid starts, which are imperative for us.

Faraz also puts in some decent performances. He can't clear the rope like Jongwe though, but hes not a bad batsman. He's only useful when it's swinging for him. The slower pace often is very useful in T20 as we know. I'm not sure why he's there though, decent enuf, but not international calibre for me. You'd have to think the Evans Jongwe battle will continue if Evans picks up where he left off. Well hopefully he comes back better than he was.

You can't claim Muzondo and Musekiwa have been hard done by I don't think. That Africa games stuff where they did well was not a good standard.

Where does Campbell fit in? He either replaces Burl, Jongwe, Bennett or Masakadza.

My first lineup would tentatively be
Gumbie
Ervine
Bennett
Williams
Raza
Marumani
Burl
Jongwe/Madande
Ndlovu
Muzarabani
Ngarava

2 seamers. 5 spinners, I'd definitely give Bennett a couple.
Jongwe makes it as a batsman, bowled only in desperation.
Gumbie is not suited to t20 cricket !

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

Googly wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:54 pm
Ya Overlord continues to be underrated by many.
He's a fast learner. I've actually not seen any Zim player show such obvious improvement over the years. Plus he's a good keeper. I know they bat in different spots, but for me he starts before Madande every time as keeper batsman. I think I'm the only guy here who doesnt wax lyrical about Clive, dont get me wrong, he's a good player, but Ode to Joy is better in all formats. He has been Mr Reliable in getting us off to solid starts, which are imperative for us.

Faraz also puts in some decent performances. He can't clear the rope like Jongwe though, but hes not a bad batsman. He's only useful when it's swinging for him. The slower pace often is very useful in T20 as we know. I'm not sure why he's there though, decent enuf, but not international calibre for me. You'd have to think the Evans Jongwe battle will continue if Evans picks up where he left off. Well hopefully he comes back better than he was.

You can't claim Muzondo and Musekiwa have been hard done by I don't think. That Africa games stuff where they did well was not a good standard.

Where does Campbell fit in? He either replaces Burl, Jongwe, Bennett or Masakadza.

My first lineup would tentatively be
Gumbie
Ervine
Bennett
Williams
Raza
Marumani
Burl
Jongwe/Madande
Ndlovu
Muzarabani
Ngarava

2 seamers. 5 spinners, I'd definitely give Bennett a couple.
Jongwe makes it as a batsman, bowled only in desperation.
Campbell in for Gumbie every day

Donald

Post by Donald »

secretzimbo wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:18 am
Donald is definitely Joylord's cousin or something.

I'm the wrong pigmentation for a start 🤣🤣

Joking aside he is a player who has worked his socks off and deserves a go. Its a strong squad either way. Plenty of competition.