Breaking: Franchise CEO's

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Breaking: Franchise CEO's

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

http://www.brmtaylor.com/news-150.html

I hope Hugo Ribatika's business knowledge is better than his cricket knowledge.

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: Breaking: Franchise CEO's

Post by maehara »

I was just thinking, that's Mashonaland's chances down the pan already.

One wonders what criteria ZC have applied in choosing their franchise CEOs, other than "does what he's told"...

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

maehara wrote:One wonders what criteria ZC have applied in choosing their franchise CEOs, other than "does what he's told"...
Funny you should say that. I have been told that "Tich Mataz is related to the Managing Director of ZC Ozias Bvute".

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

Colour me unsurprised. If that list is what ZC formally announce, then it makes a mockery of any claims by ZC that the franchises will be independent - all five names are blatantly ZC placemen.

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

Just a thought: what do you do if it looks like your Sports Minister is going to kick you out of your current cushy positions? Create a new tier of administration 'independent' of the current tier, and entrench yourself there. Hmmm.

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

I wouldn't say that Stanley Standdon was an in house appointment

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

This franchise system has worked greatly for South Africa and in the IPL too. I hope it will be repeated for Zimbabwe also.

bigdoggpitbull

Post by bigdoggpitbull »

if u peeps think this whole frnchise system is independent then ur fooling urselves..im not a pessimist but i know how e current crop of ZC management r control freaks..dont b surprised to c e same ol' faces jus being rotated..they maintain dead wood at e expense of professionals all in e name of loyalty..i really hope zimcricket improves but it wont wit e current board & management..

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

I don't think anyone really does expect them to be independent - a look at the names being floated is enough to prove that. Not that facts ever let ZC get in the way of talking things up...

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Zim Cricket Rings More Changes

Post by zimfan1 »

Zim Cricket Rings More Changes
Thursday, 04 June 2009 19:54

ZIMBABWE Cricket has appointed chief executives for four of the newly created five franchises in its new domestic setup.
ZC recently announced the formation of the self-administered franchises in an effort to decentralise the governing of the game following the recommendations of an International Cricket Council (ICC) task force mission to the country last November.

Advertising executive Hugo Ribatika has been appointed CEO for Northerns, the country’s largest franchise to be based in Harare.

Bulawayo Metropolitan Province chairman Stan Staddon will be in charge of Westerns, who have requested to change their name to Matabeleland Warriors and look odds on to engage former Zimbabwe captain Heath Streak as coach.

Givemore Makoni will run Southerns while Kenyon Ziehl has been put in charge of Centrals. The Easterns CEO will be appointed soon.

Makoni and Ziehl’s appointments effectively mean they relinquish their incumbent jobs as national team manager and chairman of selectors, respectively.

Current selector Jackie du Preez is set to replace Ziehl as the panel’s head. Du Preez played first-class cricket for Rhodesia and two Tests for South Africa in the 1960s.

ZC will appoint the selectors’ chairman with each franchise nominating a member to the panel.

Meanwhile, IndependentSport can also reveal that ZC are close to striking a deal with Streak which will see the former national side skipper assisting Kevin Curran with coaching the Zimbabwe Under 19s.

This paper is reliably informed that the affable Streak is on the verge of terminating his contract with the rebel Indian Cricket League.

There has been discontent in the ICL recently with several players abandoning the league, which is not sanctioned by both the ICC and the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI). Reports say players have not been paid for eight months.

BY ENOCK MUCHINJO