Match Thread: 3rd T20 Zimbabwe v Bangladesh (7th May 2024)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Pat_Bee

Re: Match Thread: 3rd T20 Zimbabwe v Bangladesh (7th May 2024)

Post by Pat_Bee »

It’s all coming out now :lol: :lol:

He’s a good player don’t get me wrong, he’d be in my XI but he’s totally hyped up and overrated in these parts on the back of some big scores vs Zimdesh 2 years ago.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Pat_Bee wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 3:33 pm

He’s a good player don’t get me wrong, he’d be in my XI but he’s totally hyped up and overrated in these parts on the back of some big scores vs Zimdesh 2 years ago.
Not even. I think he got a hundred vs India C when they toured. But the rest was bashing teams like Tanzania, Singapore, and Malaysia in random qualifiers or African Games. The same kinda tournaments were Nepal plunders 314 runs in 20 overs vs Mongolia and ends up having the world record team total.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Googly

Post by Googly »

What will be a bit alarming is if they play Burl, Williams Ervine and Raza for the last 2 games and none of them make runs. It can happen, it's cricket.

Raza stating that he feels he's let the side down is a bit double edged because it indirectly means he doesn't have much faith in anyone. It's a fair point but rather leave it unsaid.

Funny old game- Faraz batted really well. Not that I think he's bad at all. I've seen him bat well a few times, but he outshone everyone.

I'm not being smug, but Clive will struggle up the order.
Pushing Bennett up was a bit rash, he was fine where he was. It's not easy front 3 against a good attack.
Maru bought himself an extension. Either took his time earlier on or was also struggling, we'll never know :lol: I like him. Is it a nerve thing or is he just not used to tight bowling and there's a ceiling? But I've seen him unleash thunderbolts from good deliveries.
What ive seen from our front 4 is that most are either not prepared to play a big shot off a decent delivery or they simply dont have the shot and they're waiting for a buffet ball. Bennett's go to is to clear to leg and he does it well, didnt see this last innings but he's seemed less willing to do so. He's facing better quicker bowling though.
Jonno did well again.

Unusual to only use 5 bowlers. They all took a bit of tap apart from Blessing. I'd really like to have seen Campbell and/or Bennett get a couple of overs. Campbell could be mighty handy with the ball, get him started next two games.
Give Bennett a couple as well. Are we building for the future or not?
Raza bowled Faraz and himself out and they both got carted.

There's bad body language and strain on Raza's face. Clearly there's pressure, but is it more than that?

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

andrea lanzoni wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 3:27 pm
secretzimbo wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 2:18 pm
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 1:35 pm
Can the rest of the forum please finally admit now that as good as he is and has been for us, that he is not a world class player?
As I (and Pat) have been saying and getting grief for?
The closest that we have to world class though, at least.
This might be the issue with those who (once) were called the big three: it's not mainly a question of passing of time, rather it's maybe lack of motivation that at the end of a career is more difficult to have when results are not coming.
You say that as if Williams and Ervine have ever been good at T20 though.
Never once was Craig and Sean decent T20 players.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

We can talk all day about how good or bad Raza is but it won't serve any purpose, the team as a whole is going no where and Raza's greatness or the lack of it is the least important topic at the moment.

Whatever he is, he has been a great servant of Zimbabwe cricket, easily one of the best to have played for Zimbabwe.

I fear this could be the last time we are seeing Raza, Williams and Ervine play together. I have a feeling Willo and Ervine will call it a day very soon.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Obviously the internationals are where u showcase your ability for the T20 gigs. Raza has some goodwill in the lesser T20 leagues, but he needs some big innings against good teams to ever get near an IPL gig again. That will be hugely contributing to his stress.
This is just a stress game, especially in a team that is getting dry humped practically every game.
Burl will also be watching chances slip thru his fingers as he's benching. He'll be very anxious now as well.
He's going to have to get into the nets and make his bowling indispensable or he's going to be seeing more bench time.
Madande is always going to be preferred over him, he could score single figures for the next 5 years and hed always be thereabouts. Campbell has put his hand up. Marumani could also bat there.

Googly

Post by Googly »

sam_ahm wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 5:16 pm
We can talk all day about how good or bad Raza is but it won't serve any purpose, the team as a whole is going no where and Raza's greatness or the lack of it is the least important topic at the moment.

Whatever he is, he has been a great servant of Zimbabwe cricket, easily one of the best to have played for Zimbabwe.

I fear this could be the last time we are seeing Raza, Williams and Ervine play together. I have a feeling Willo and Ervine will call it a day very soon.
That would surprise me. They haven't made enuf money to retire from cricket, yet get reasonably well paid to play for Zim. They don't often play club, regularly don't play franchise and get good dosh every month. Why would you quit?
What would throw a spanner in the works is if BT reappeared and started playing well. That might put pressure on at least one of them.
Going back to 4 players approaching 40 would be a step in the wrong direction.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 4:52 pm
Pat_Bee wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 3:33 pm

Not even. I think he got a hundred vs India C when they toured. But the rest was bashing teams like Tanzania, Singapore, and Malaysia in random qualifiers or African Games. The same kinda tournaments were Nepal plunders 314 runs in 20 overs vs Mongolia and ends up having the world record team total.
Ya he performed admirably vs India C. Could have sworn he got back to back tons vs you guys that winter too, marshalling Regis and Innocent to them too. Tony munyonga (?) finished one of the games off with a blistering knock. I might be misremembering that though to be fair, it was years ago :lol:

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Raza has done more than almost every single other Zim player put together in the past two years. Significantly more than Ervine or Williams, as it happens.

Single-handedly carried us to most of our victories over the past couple of years.

ICC Team of the Year two years running in both formats.

IPL gig two years running. English T20 and Hundred gigs coming up.

The most dedicated and passionate Zimbo there is.

42 50's and 8 100's in Zimbabwe colors in the past 10 years.

He's hit a poor run of form, but how can anyone say a bad word about him? It's beyond me.

Googly

Post by Googly »

We're going to see a long spell of Myers and another one of chastened and reformed Wes, who by all accounts is batting well.
We'll see Rodney Mupfudza long before we see Matt Welch, which is bias.
When, if ever will we see Nick Welch again, the only guy we know has as good a chance as anyone at this level.
We'll also see Kaia again, he's a good player.
They'll panic and give K-Long another spell as well.
Under the right guy with the right practice he could be good, but we have seen a lot of him over the years. He can smoke a cricket ball.
We're going to see more of Tony. Also a good player.
Might see Milton again as well.
They don't know what to do next actually.
They might try Bennett and/or Burl up front?
Sometimes they just pull names and batting slots out the hat I think.
That innings will keep Faraz in the mix ahead of Evans I'd think.

It's a moot point but it would have been interesting to have seen this series under Houghton. I think this has blown Matsi's chance of the lead role, if he was in with a shout, and he probably was.

Not going to Nepal is terrible wasted opportunity. If they're going to continue playing musical chairs with players and their sad and uncertain lives they must keep the band playing continuously and maybe one or two will emerge from the quagmire.