Afro-Asia Selection?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Afro-Asia Selection?

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

I'm not sure what is happening with the Afro-Asia Cup, but apparently it is due to happen some time soon with 5 Twenty20's.

Last time Chigumbura and Sibanda represented Zim in the ODI's, and I think it was Kasteni and Dabengwa in the T20.

So supposing we can send 3 players to this edition, who would you send?

I would be in two minds. From a "Africa XI should win" perspective:

1. Elton Chigumbura
2. Ray Price
3. Hamilton Masakadza

But from a "lets get some extra development into the players" perspective:

1. Malcolm Waller
2. Forster Mutizwa
3. Ed Rainsford

If it ended up being 5 T20's, I'd probably go with the second selection. If it was 3 ODI's (which aren't as meaningless as T20's) then I would go with the first selection.

Who would you go with?

Sir Mupariwa

Re: Afro-Asia Selection?

Post by Sir Mupariwa »

1. Elton Chigumbura - Albie Morkel,
2. Ray Price - R Van De Merwe, Botha
3. Hamilton Masakadza,

These three are the best we have at the moment although they will have to fight it out with some quality players above although some players might just opt out like they did last time. I think Kallis, Gibbs might want to rest - in my own opinion Hamilton stands a great chance of making it into the team. Chigs might just since he is an allrounder and Ray might just rotate with the other two spinners
12.4 Odhiambo to Vermeulen, FOUR, that's an appalling long hop, Vermulen had plenty of time to get into position, drink a cup of tea, and pull the ball towards the long leg boundary- his first boundary today

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Price is better than the South African spinners.

If the squad was being picked on recent form alone then Price and van der Merwe would be the two spinners selected, and in that order.

Botha would only be a chance if they needed an offspinner, and even then I'm not sure if Utseya wouldn't be a better option for his low economy.

Agree on Masakadza, I think he has pretty easy entry.

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

Africa XI

Zimbabwe:

1. Raymond Price
2. Elton Chigumbura
3. Hamilton Masakadza

In my opinion, Johan Botha and Roloef Van Der Merwe both will be selected keeping the eyes on their recent brilliant performance. None of the can't be overlooked. They are both on top in T20 World Cup and valuable assests in the SA team. Van Der Merwe is a tremondus striker of the ball and in form with the ball also. Botha has improved vastly and keeping a low run rate as well as taking wickets for the last year so, especially against Australia and performed well for Rajasthan Royals in the IPL also.

In my opinion, Utseya will be eliminated anyhow. Price will be selected in the squad, he is the best player of Zimbabwe. Besides him, Elton Chigumbura and Hamilton Masakadza both has some performance under their belt in recent time and has a good reputation too.

Tatenda Taibu, is a class player but recent form is a concern, not good. So, guess will be overlooked.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Detective RDS wrote:1. Raymond Price
2. Elton Chigumbura
3. Hamilton Masakadza
Agree with these 3. But if SA players are not too keen to hog the limelight, we can push the likes of Rainsford and Mutizwa as well.

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Agree with these 3. But if SA players are not too keen to hog the limelight, we can push the likes of Rainsford and Mutizwa as well.
Ya...Agree

andy24
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by andy24 »

what would be the likely hood of taylor getting picked?

Conant
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Conant »

The likelyhood of Brandon Taylor making it into the Twenty20 squad? Nil

bayhaus
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by bayhaus »

Price is waaay better than the SA bowlers they have been hyped here n SA cos SA have really never had genuine spin options.

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

There is no question about the ability of Raymond Price. He is a LEGEND in one word. Price is better than the SA spinners but they are good too.

South Africa never had genuine spinners in the past. They seemed to struggle with it. But things have changed by now, I think.

Looking forward to the WC 2011 in the sub continent, South Africa managed to find good decent spinners. Johan Botha is doing very well in the ODIs and T20's. I was never a fan of him and even I wasn't sure about his ability as a captain when he was given the captaincy in the Australian tour early this year. But I was just impressed seeing the way he bowled and lead the team into victory. Johan Van Der Merwe is a fantastic find by SA. He is given the newcomer award by CSA. Botha and VD Merwe both did a fantastic job in the World T20. For the test, there is Paul Harris. He is also did well picking 6 wickets in the last test against Aus in the home series of South Africa.