Press exaggeration on Zim

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kopje
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Press exaggeration on Zim

Post by Kopje »

....Just been reading the Daily Nation a Kenyan newspaper, i must say their exaggeration really got me laughing and at the same time annoyed.

a)
The other teams playing in the Intercontinental Cup are Canada, Scotland, the Netherlands, and newcomers Afghanistan and Zimbabwe.
b)
Afghanistan replaced Bermuda who failed to finish among the top six teams in the World Cup qualifiers in South Africa in May. Zimbabwe’s Test status was suspended due to the political situation in the country and the poor standards of the Test team.
a) I thought it was the "A" side playing? Did i miss something? :(
b) Zimbabwe voluntarily withdrew from Test matches, and i didn't know till today "the political situation was part of the reasons for voluntary withdrawal" :?: :x

Full article here

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Press exaggeration on Zim

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

The Daily Nation doesn't have the best track record. One only has to remember the Eward Painsford incident.

In all likelihood it will be the A team playing.
Unless I've missed something, the only site that has "confirmed" anything is Cricinfo but their track record is poor as well. All things considered, common sense would suggest it will be the A team.

For the second bit, it did say "and the poor standards of the Test team". I've always thought that the political situation would have been a factor though, otherwise Bangladesh would have been on thin ice too.