Bangladesh in Zimbabwe 2009: Fixtures

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Bangladesh in Zimbabwe 2009: Fixtures

Post by maehara »

Code: Select all

Sunday 9 August         1st ODI
Tuesday 11 August       2nd ODI
Friday 14 August        3rd ODI
Sunday 16 August        4th ODI
Tuesday 18 August       5th ODI
All matches at Queen's Sports Club, Bulawayo.

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Bangladesh in Zimbabwe 2009: Fixtures

Post by zimfan1 »

I really cant wait for this series its our chance to show the ICC we are ready for a test comeback, im a little disappointed to see that there are no 20 20 games or a four day game added on to the tour.

Now the real question is weather the series is going to be televised or if Cricinfo will have live ball by ball commentary? I know ten sports covered the Sri Lanka series but that was probably because they had a contract with Sri Lanka. I wonder if supersport may broadcast it?

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

zimfan1 wrote: Now the real question is weather the series is going to be televised or if Cricinfo will have live ball by ball commentary? I know ten sports covered the Sri Lanka series but that was probably because they had a contract with Sri Lanka. I wonder if supersport may broadcast it?
I am sure that, this series is going to be televised. All the series of Bangladesh national team is telecasted.

I guess, Super Sport may telecast it. Or Ten Sports is an option, if Zimbabwe has got a deal with it.

Sir Mupariwa

Post by Sir Mupariwa »

Zim Bang will be interesting but i have my doubts in Zim beating Bangladesh especially in a spin friendly Bulawayo
12.4 Odhiambo to Vermeulen, FOUR, that's an appalling long hop, Vermulen had plenty of time to get into position, drink a cup of tea, and pull the ball towards the long leg boundary- his first boundary today

Kopje
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Kopje »

Looking forward to this, am sure we can beat them. Though i wonder if there are any 4 day matches e.g Westerns v Bangladeshis or something like that.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Kopje wrote:Looking forward to this, am sure we can beat them. Though i wonder if there are any 4 day matches e.g Westerns v Bangladeshis or something like that.
I think Bangladesh tour West Indies right before they go to Zimbabwe. Not sure of the dates, but I don't think there will be enough time for a tour match. I would love to see Vermeulen vs Bangladeshis in a First Class match though...

I too am looking forward to this series. Zimbabwe vs Bangladesh clashes are always fascinating, and we are in the pleasant position of wondering who to leave out rather than who to bring in.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

It turns out there will be a tour match, only a one-dayer though: http://www.cricinfo.com/zimvbdesh2009/c ... e=fixtures
Subject to confirmation of course, being Cricinfo.
Fri Aug 7
09:30 local | 07:30 GMT TBC v Bangladeshis
Bulawayo Athletic Club
I hope it is Westerns vs Bangladeshis, but I have a feeling that it will be Zimbabwe A. I can't remember the last time a domestic side played a touring team? Probably back around 2003 or so.

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

Link: http://www.sundaynews.co.zw/inside.aspx ... 3838&cat=5

Cricket fans in for a treat

By Mehluli Sibanda

CRICKET fans in the city of Bulawayo are in for a treat in August when Zimbabwe hosts Bangladesh in five One-Day International (ODI) matches, all at Queens Sports Club.

It would be the first time that Queens Sports Club has played host to all matches during a tour and that should be good news to the cricket loving community in Bulawayo.

The city has always been sidelined when it comes to hosting international cricket matches, despite Queens Sports Club boasting of world-class facilities on and off the field. There have been a number of instances where touring teams have played all their international matches at Harare Sports Club with Zimbabwe Cricket blaming logistical problems for taking all the international matches to Harare.

Last year, Zimbabwe played against Sri Lanka in five ODIs at Harare Sports Club with Bulawayo being reduced to hosting warm up matches. Fans were denied the opportunity to watch world-class stars like Sri Lankan spin wizard Muttiah Muralitharan and their new mystery spinner Ajantha Mendis in action.

Bangladesh last toured Zimbabwe in February 2007 in preparation for the 2007 International Cricket Council World Cup. Zimbabwe and Bangladesh played in four ODIs, all at Harare Sports Club with the Tigers winning the series 3-1.

The two teams last met in a three ODI series in Bangladesh early this year and Bangladesh won the series 2-1.

Fast bowler Mashrafe Mortaza has been appointed Bangladesh captain and will lead the Tigers when they visit West Indies next month before they tour Zimbabwe. Mortaza took over the captaincy from Mohammad Ashraful.

Besides Mortaza and Ashraful, cricket fans will get a chance to watch the world number one all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan, top order batsman Tamim Iqbal and fast bowler Shahadat Hossain in action.

Cricket fans in Bulawayo showed they are great supporters of the game during the domestic Twenty20 tournament held in May. The fans came out in their numbers and showed their excitement when the home team Westerns won the tournament.

The fans should turn out in their numbers to watch their local stars who include pace bowlers Christopher Mpofu, Tawanda Mupariwa and left handed all-rounder Keith Dabengwa. Charles Coventry and Mark Vermeulen have done well since their comeback and could find themselves in the national team for the tour.

Bangladesh will land in Zimbabwe on 5 August and would be in the country until 19 August. Zimbabwe were last in international circuit in January when they toured Kenya on their way from Bangladesh and took on the East Africans in five ODIs.

Zimbabwe were in terrific form and won the series 5-0 and even broke the record for their highest score in ODIs and they piled on 358 in the second ODI. All-rounder Elton Chigumbura, top order batsmen Stuart Matsikenyeri, Hamilton Masakadza and leg spinner were some of the players who were in top form against the Kenyans.

If Zimbabwe repeat their display they showed against Kenya, then the series against Bangladesh promises a lot of thrills.