Give your opinion to make the best squad

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Detective RDS

Give your opinion to make the best squad

Post by Detective RDS »

The next Zimbabwean series will be against Bangladesh as we all know. I guess, the selectors have to face some difficulties to pick the right squad as there are some former players back now and youngsters also shining in the domestic circuit. It will be also interesting to see if the selectors go with the players who has represented Zimbabwe for the last couple or more years but hasn't done anything notable likes of Sibanda, Matsikenyeri, Dabengwa (In my opinion). There is an another thing, in which medium/base the selectors will select the players:

* In colour (Black or White)
* Recent Performance
* Their previous stint with Zimbabwean national team.

I think, it's better to with the 2nd and 3rd medium. I think, everyone will agree with me.

Analysing the Zimbabwean cricket, I think there are a pool of 20 players, from which the squad will be selected. As it's a home series of Zimbabwe, 14 players will be in the squad. That means 6 players will be cut down.

The players are as follows:

1. Hamilton Masakadza (VC)
2. Mark Vermeulen
3. Tatenda Taibu (WK)
4. Brendan Taylor
5. Sean Williams
6. Charles Coventry
7. Elton Chigumbura
8. Prosper Utseya (C)
9. Raymond Price
10. Graeme Cremer
11. Edward Rainsford

12. Forster Mutizwa
13. Malcolm Waller
14. Tawanda Mupariwa

15. Justice Chibhabha
16. Douglas Hondo
17. Christopher Mpofu

18. Stuart Matsikenyeri
19. Vusimuzi Sibanda
20. Keith Dabengwa

You have to select 6 players whom you wouldn't want to feature in the final 14 players squad. You can also give your reason why you aren't considering them for the national squad.

By getting the replies, we will be able to see those players who have a less opportunity to include in the side and likely to miss out. (In the result of vote)

Detective RDS

Re: Give your opinion to make the best squad

Post by Detective RDS »

1. Vusimuzi Sibanda
2. Keith Dabengwa
3. Stuart Matsikenyeri
4. Justice Chibhabha
5. Christopher Mpofu
6. Douglas Hondo

Reasons:

Sibanda, he is out of form. For the last 20 odd matches, he averages 15-20 with the bat probably. Not a great performance.

Dabengwa, performance hasn't been so impressive agaisnt stronger sides. It's also a fact that the other players are performing better than him/

Matsikenyeri, I never thought that he is a genuine batsman. Playing 70+ ODI's he averages just over 20. Not a great performance.

Chibhabha, unlucky to miss out. He had to leave to give Mutizwa and Waller places in the side.

Mpofu, form hasn't been good in the national side.

Hondo, very unlucky to miss out. It was difficult to include him as there are Rainsford and Mupariwa in the side.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

NewZimbabwe.com says:
http://www.newzimbabwe.com/sports-503-B ... ports.aspx
Zimbabwe will name a 14-man squad for the tour from the following players:

Regis Chakabva; Chamu Chibhabha; Elton Chigumbura; Graeme Cremer; Keith Dabengwa; Timycen Maruma; Hamilton Masakadza; Stuart Matsikenyeri; Tino Mawoyo; Chris Mpofu; Tawanda Mupariwa; Forster Mutizwa; Ray Price; Ed Rainsford; Vusi Sibanda; Tatenda Taibu; Prosper Utseya; Malcolm Waller; Sean Williams; Cephas Zhuwawo
Now, I'm not 100% sure that this is accurate. I don't think NewZimbabwe.com is a big player in terms of breaking cricket news (JUST CONFIRMED, THIS SQUAD LIST IS NOT AT ALL ACCURATE). It seems unfathomable that Cephas Zhuwawo and Tino Mawoyo could possibly be in contention while Mark Vermeulen, Admire Manyumwa and Charles Coventry are not. And Brendan Taylor too, ZC announced some time ago that he would be available for international selection so it defies logic that he wouldn't even be in a preliminary squad.

On recent form Sibanda, Dabengwa and Matsikenyeri all completely deserve to be omitted from the team. It is highly unlikely that this will happen. Matsikenyeri and to a lesser extent Dabengwa seem incapable of being dropped. Which is ironic because of the three players Sibanda has had the most success throughout his career.

Cremer is the perfect replacement for Dabengwa. He's a better batsman, better bowler and from that one T20 I saw he appears to be a pretty good fielder too.

Matsikenyeri out of the team opens up a spot which means Waller and Mutizwa should both able to both play together (this might not be possible depending on whether Vermeulen, Coventry and Taylor are available though).

From what I've heard, Mpofu seems a good chance for being selected. So I think he will make the squad. Mpofu has been a bit disappointing throughout his career. When he bowls he never seems threatening, unlike Chigumbura who always looks like he will make the breakthrough. And at only 135kmh or so, he's not fast enough to get in the team on pace alone. The only difference between he and Chigs is height, so Mpofu might be able to get a bit more bounce. But unless he can bowl faster or become more intimidating (spot on with bouncers or some great yorkers) I'm not sure he has more upside than a new bloke like Manyumwa. I guess it is a moot point anyway, Chigumbura and Rainsford are by far our leading quicks and with a 3 man spin attack that is all we need. If we want a third seamer, then Mupariwa is first in line, not Mpofu. None-the-less, I think he will make the squad.

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

I agree there is no way in the world that ZC would go to all the trouble to get Taylor back and then not select him

From what i hear in Zimbabwe is that at the moment there are three training camps, one for the Under 19's one for the A team preparing for the intercontinental cup and one for the national team and these are due to start next week

ZC are notoriously late in the announcing squads, so to do it two months ahead of a series is just unrealistic

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote: (JUST CONFIRMED, THIS SQUAD LIST IS NOT AT ALL ACCURATE).
Great news...I was just shocked seeing the list of the players. In which there is no name of the likes of Taylor, Vermeulen, Coventry and Hondo.

Let's come to the main point,for which I started the topic. Which six players do you want to ommit from the final 14 players squad (Follow the 1st post of this topic)

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

I am waiting for the votes. Anyone ???
The next Zimbabwean series will be against Bangladesh as we all know. I guess, the selectors have to face some difficulties to pick the right squad as there are some former players back now and youngsters also shining in the domestic circuit. It will be also interesting to see if the selectors go with the players who has represented Zimbabwe for the last couple or more years but hasn't done anything notable likes of Sibanda, Matsikenyeri, Dabengwa (In my opinion). There is an another thing, in which medium/base the selectors will select the players:

* In colour (Black or White)
* Recent Performance
* Their previous stint with Zimbabwean national team.

I think, it's better to with the 2nd and 3rd medium. I think, everyone will agree with me.

Analysing the Zimbabwean cricket, I think there are a pool of 20 players, from which the squad will be selected. As it's a home series of Zimbabwe, 14 players will be in the squad. That means 6 players will be cut down.

The players are as follows:

2. Mark Vermeulen
3. Tatenda Taibu (WK)
4. Brendan Taylor
5. Sean Williams
6. Charles Coventry
7. Elton Chigumbura
8. Prosper Utseya (C)
9. Raymond Price
10. Graeme Cremer
11. Edward Rainsford

12. Forster Mutizwa
13. Malcolm Waller
14. Tawanda Mupariwa

15. Justice Chibhabha
16. Douglas Hondo
17. Christopher Mpofu

18. Stuart Matsikenyeri
19. Vusimuzi Sibanda
20. Keith Dabengwa

You have to select 6 players whom you wouldn't want to feature in the final 14 players squad. You can also give your reason why you aren't considering them for the national squad.

By getting the replies, we will be able to see those players who have a less opportunity to include in the side and likely to miss out. (In the result of vote)
Hope all of you guys will participate.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

There are still question marks over Vermeulen, Taylor, Coventry, Hondo... for various reasons they may not be considered for the upcoming series, we don't know. Which may open up spots for Manyumwa and company.

But assuming the 20 cricketers you mentioned are all eligible:

2. Mark Vermeulen
3. Tatenda Taibu (WK)
4. Brendan Taylor
5. Sean Williams
6. Charles Coventry
7. Elton Chigumbura
8. Prosper Utseya (C)
9. Raymond Price
10. Graeme Cremer
11. Edward Rainsford
12. Forster Mutizwa
13. Malcolm Waller
14. Tawanda Mupariwa
15. Justice Chibhabha
16. Douglas Hondo
17. Christopher Mpofu
18. Stuart Matsikenyeri
19. Vusimuzi Sibanda
20. Keith Dabengwa

Chibhabha, Dabengwa, Matsikenyeri, Hondo, Sibanda and Mpofu to be omitted. As I said above though, there is a snowflakes chance in hell of this happening :) Matsikenyeri is the ultimate teflon man, while Dabengwa also has a knack of holding on to his spot. Mpofu will probably make the squad at the expense of one of the batsmen (Coventry or Vermeulen)... The more I think about, Mpofu is probably not bad to have in the squad really as a backup. Unless a newcomer like Manyumwa can force his way into the squad. We know what Mpofu is capable of (in Australia people would call him a "good ordinary player"), at least with a Manyumwa type player there is greater potential.