Go for Pace Says Streak

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Go for Pace Says Streak

Post by zimfan1 »

Go for Pace –– Streak PDF Print E-mail
Thursday, 02 July 2009 20:24

FORMER Zimbabwe cricket captain and pace bowler Heath Streak says Zimbabwe would enjoy an advantage if they went for an all-out pace attack against Bangladesh next month.
Zimbabwe host the Tigers for five ODIs in Bulawayo on August 9, 11, 14, 16 and 18.

The decision by Zimbabwe Cricket to host all five matches at Queens Sports Club, which is considered spin-friendly, could result in Zimbabwe employing a three-man spin attack of Prosper Utseya, Ray Price and Graeme Cremer.

But in an interview with IndependentSport this week, Streak seemed to suggest that this approach might backfire, just as the decision not to have some of the matches played in the placid conditions of Harare Sports Club.

“Bangladesh always struggled against quick bowling when we played,” Streak said.

“If we use slow and turning wickets it gives them confidence. It puts them at ease. When we played them we tried to expose them to conditions they were not comfortable playing in.”

Streak’s side used to defeat the Asian side with relative ease, but the pendulum swung after the exodus of several experienced players.

“I think Bangladesh’s history has always been of an up and down team,” he said. “On their day they can beat anyone. But I think they are a little bit inconsistent.”

But the 35-year-old veteran of 65 Tests and 189 ODIs and his country’s leading wicket-taker at both forms of the game said he still fancied Zimbabwe to do well.

“The last time we played very well against Bangladesh in Bangladesh,” said Streak. “Obviously now the biggest concern is match fitness. That aside, there is a lot of talent in the side.

“If we find early form there is no reason why we can’t beat Bangladesh at home.”

If heeded, Streak’s comments will mean all-rounder Elton Chigumbura resumes his new ball duties alongside Chris Mpofu, perhaps, to provide firepower upfront. Tawanda Mupariwa and Ed Rainsford will come in as seam back-up.

Meanwhile Streak, who is currently holding some private coaching clinics in his hometown of Bulawayo, said he was still hoping to get involved in coaching at a higher level.

“Look, I had dialogue with ZC but I’m still waiting for them to get back to me on a few issues,” he said.

Streak last month quit Indian Cricket League side Ahmedabad Rockets after he requested to be released from his contract.

“I asked to be released from my contract so that I could look at other avenues.”

BY ENOCK MUCHINJO

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Go for Pace Says Streak

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Going for an all-out pace attack is all well and good if you have a variation of good pace bowlers, but the truth is that Chigumbura, Rainsford and Mpofu will all bowl right-arm in the mid 130's and will probably (except Rainsford when he's playing well) leak runs. Mupariwa is a bit different because he can be selected for bowling line-and-length and not pace.

In the B'desh Tri-Series
Utseya - 3 wickets at 16.66 (economy 2.50)
Price - 3 wickets at 18.66 (economy 2.89)

In the 3-ODI series against Bangladesh:
Utseya - 1 wicket at 78.00 (economy 3.12)
Price - 7 wickets at 7.28 (economy 1.88)

Clearly, Price is an automatic selection because he takes wickets and keeps the run rate down. Utseya for the same reason, except he isn't as much of a wicket taker.

With Chigumbura batting at number 7, that frees up space for 2 additional bowlers. And I think given his outstanding performance in Kenya, Graeme Cremer surely must be first in line. Ed Rainsford can take the number 11 spot - he took 6 wickets on the Bangladesh tour and bowled at an economy of 2.78 in the 3 ODI series.

Instead of playing to Bangladesh's perceived weaknesses (which I think is what Streak is suggesting), we should be playing to our strengths - which are spin bowling and containment.

zulu

Post by zulu »

Intersting comments by Streak. I do not think that we should go all out seam because Zimbabwes strength are in their spinners, but I don't think we should play 3 spinners in the first ODI obviously Creamer is easily good enough to get into the side but I would just play Price and obviously Utseya in the first ODI just to see what impact the spinners have. for the first Odi Chigumbura and Rainsford share the new ball period

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

Since QSC is a spin friendly pitch, Zim should rely more on spinners rather than the pacers and should go with 3 spin attack. Graeme Cremer can't be left out as he is in form and was the leading wicket taker in the Kenyan series. But if his form falls during this series, then Zim can consider pace options. It's a matter of concern that, currently Zim hasn't got any seamer with real pace, as mentioned everybody is in the 130 mark. Rainsford will be the spearhead of pace department and Chigumbura should share the new ball with him. Hondo or Mpofu as backup's.