Utseya's Captaincy??????

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Sir Mupariwa

Utseya's Captaincy??????

Post by Sir Mupariwa »

Do you still think he is the right man for the job or we need a new captain, if we need one who should it be considering the politics around. Batsmen are usually favored to be skippers.
12.4 Odhiambo to Vermeulen, FOUR, that's an appalling long hop, Vermulen had plenty of time to get into position, drink a cup of tea, and pull the ball towards the long leg boundary- his first boundary today

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: Utseya's Captaincy??????

Post by tawac »

I think our biggest let down in the just ended Banglabash series is captaincy and coaching. These positions have to be seriously considered. But our biggest problem would be candidates. Price would be a good choice I reckon. The problem with the rest of the crew in inconsistancy. We need someone to lead from the front and make the call when its needed.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

Sir Mupariwa

Post by Sir Mupariwa »

Its true the rest of the crew in inconsistent, with the exception of Price and Chigs(although i doubt his leadership qualities). It would be lovely if they give the role to Taibu, i feel he has the respect of both the white and black players.
12.4 Odhiambo to Vermeulen, FOUR, that's an appalling long hop, Vermulen had plenty of time to get into position, drink a cup of tea, and pull the ball towards the long leg boundary- his first boundary today

tawac

Post by tawac »

Taibu is a long shot after the recent politics. I think Elton needs sometime. He would make a good candidate but not just yet. May after 2 or 3 seasons. Not too sure abt Vermulen or Taylor.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

bullseye28

Post by bullseye28 »

Utseya has underperformed both as a bowler and Low order batsman. When you underperform in key responsibilities and being assigned the role of a Captain it is next to impossible to command respect or get the best out of team members as you are setting a poor example yourself.

A Captain has to lead from the front and lead by example.

As an Internationaal cricket fan it appeared to me that he lacked agresssion, innovativeness and did not think outside of the box to try something different when chips were down. Also made some tactical errors.

He also appeared not so involved with other players irrespective of whether the player was performing or not.

However this is not the only reason why Zimbabwe lost.

Zimbabwe's loss is attributed to two other reasons apart from the fact that Captaincy was not up to the mark.

While the Batting became better and better the bowling department was far from satisfactory.

The spin department though not at par with Bangladesh were not far behnd.

Barring the 3rd One dayer and to some extent the Last One Dayer the Pace Bowling overall looked average and Odinary . No wonder Bangladesh batsmen dominated and build up good scores.

The other thing to note is the fact that Bangladesh has improved by leaps and bounds under new skipper Shakib.
The self Belief he has in him that Tigers are capable to win matches and his aggressive, innovative style of Captaincy and leading by example and from the front has resulted in the team giving 100%.

When you have that kind of output from every team member it becomes easier to get the better of any opposition .

But one good thing I like about Utseya is his cool and calmness. Despite losing matches one after the other he never looked down or upset when he spoke in the Man of the Match Presenation Ceremony where losing Captains are asked for their views on team performance.That is definitely a Plus point.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I think Utseya has been given enough time to put his mark on his side as a captain and he hasn't. His tactics in the Bangladesh series were generally lethargic and often mystifying.

However there really aren't many other options except Raymond Price. Tatenda Taibu is a long shot given politics, and none of the other players really have a secure place in the side.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

jimbo

Post by jimbo »

I think masacadza would be a good bet for the captaincy, he would be an aggressive captain too i think

Sir Mupariwa

Post by Sir Mupariwa »

i also think Masakadza can make a better captain,

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

Raymomd Price, for me. He deserves the coach for the commitment he showed for the team. Experienced with a lot of aggression. Team player, always wants to put his 100% and contribute.

Kopje

Post by Kopje »

I would go for Ray price, Utseya shud be ejected immediately!