One-on-one with Mountaineers CEO

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

One-on-one with Mountaineers CEO

Post by maehara »

http://www.manicapost.com/inside.aspx?sectid=412&cat=5
TEST cricket is the longest form of the sport of cricket.

The world over, it is generally considered the ultimate test of playing ability in the sport. The name "Test" may have arisen from the idea that the matches are a "test of strength and competency" between the sides involved. The first officially recognised test match commenced on March 15, 1877, contested by England and Australia at the Melbourne Cricket Ground, where Australia won by 45 runs.

Zimbabwe was suspended from involvement in Test cricket between June 10, 2004 and January 6, 2005. The country was briefly admitted back into the family of Test match playing nations, only to be suspended again on January 18, 2006 up until now.

In a move aimed at a quick return to the highest level of the game, Zimbabwe Cricket have adopted a franchise system. The five franchises, formed from the twining of two provinces include Mountaineers (Manicaland and Mashonaland East), Midwest Rhinos (Midlands and Mashonaland West), Southern Rocks (Masvingo and Matabeleland South), Tuskers (Bulawayo Metropolitan and Matabeleland North) and Mash Eagles (Harare Metropolitan and Mashonaland Central Province).

Philip Senzanni, the chief executive officer for the Easterns franchise, known as Mountaneers, unpacks the ZC franchise system to The Weekender's Ray Bande on the sidelines of the recently held Croco Motors Cricket Awards at Nesbit Castle in Bulawayo.

RB: For starters, what prompted the move to have the franchise system?

PS: In order for the standard of cricket in Zimbabwe to improve, and for the goal of returning to Test cricket to be achieved, there ought to be a change in the way domestic cricket programmes are structured and administered. The system we had in the past was focused, and dependent on Zimbabwe Cricket for direct financial and strategic support. Due to the cyclical nature of revenues that accrue to Zimbabwe Cricket, and the current uncertain socio-economic environment, the old system was not sustainable and was not producing players of the required standard for Zimbabwe to attain its rightful status on the world stage.

The fact that the national team isn't performing well also means that revenues are very low, and the little revenue generated is being spread too thinly over a wide spectrum of needs for there to be any meaningful return on investment. Revenue generation opportunities have also been negatively impacted by home tours being cancelled for political reasons e.g. Australia and New Zealand. The net effect is that the standard of Domestic 1st Class Cricket has dropped over the years, resulting in below standard players being channelled into national team structures. As a result, this has retarded Zimbabwe's progress in the international cricket arena.

RB: Can you outline the basic operational trends under the franchise system?

PS: By definition, a franchise is "authorisation granted by a company to sell or distribute its goods or services in a certain area". In this case, the company is Zimbabwe Cricket and the good/service is 1st Class Cricket. Under the proposed system, Zimbabwe Cricket will grant selected Franchise Management Committees the rights to administer 1st Class Cricket on a professional basis, and as a business, in designated areas. The franchises will, among other things, contract players, employ technical staff and maintain a facility to use as a home ground. Zimbabwe Cricket will provide the franchises with an annual grant to assist with the funding requirements, but it will be the responsibility of the individual franchises to raise any extra capital requirements through sponsorship and other fund raising activities.

RB: What are some of the benefits of the franchise system?

PS: Some of the benefits of the franchise system include reduced dependency on Zimbabwe Cricket. The system will obviously instill a sense of ownership by players, staff and the local community. We also hope, with the help of the media and other marketing strategies, to have increased spectatorship and support. Under the system, we are also likely to witness more competition between players. There will also be more a professional approach to the administration and playing of the game and obviously more competitive leagues and competitions.

RB: And now to your franchise, the Mountaineers, can you give a brief background of the franchise?

PS: Basically, we have teams that will partake in some league matches. The teams are from the two provinces —- Manicaland and Mashonaland East. We want to promote a system whereby our players come from club level. No matter how good a player can be, he first has to be part of a club within the league structures to see his way through to the top team.

RB: Where do you see Mountaineers in five years to come?

PS: We are definitely going to be a brand that any corporate would want to be identified with. We see ourselves as the biggest contributor to the national team in a few years to come.

RB: Parting shot?

PS: Yeh…..we are not going back on this one. We can only urge the community and fans to come on board to support the game. Together as a family, we have a bright future.

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: One-on-one with Mountaineers CEO

Post by tawac »

PS: Basically, we have teams that will partake in some league matches. The teams are from the two provinces —- Manicaland and Mashonaland East. We want to promote a system whereby our players come from club level. No matter how good a player can be, he first has to be part of a club within the league structures to see his way through to the top team.
I think this is were the money is. Develop players from the grass roots. That way when it comes to 1st Class cricket, you will have the best your province can offer. This franchise thing looks attractive. I hope the marketing guys will do their job and pull the crowds. I think ZC can aslo come in with a highlighs package the can be screen locally or even on supersport. That will most definately generate some interest both locally and in the region.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: One-on-one with Mountaineers CEO

Post by sloandog »

I strongly agree Tawac :)
Having the franchise series on Supersport would be fantastic. And like you said it would attract plenty. Lets hope the franchise is a success, nad lets hope it brings lots and lots and lots of supporters. :D

It'll be like the zimbabwe of old. Campbell Macmillan vs Sean Ervine :o it'd be great !!
Can't wait :W: :W: