The boys are back in town

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Detective RDS

The boys are back in town

Post by Detective RDS »

Link: http://www1.herald.co.zw/inside.aspx?sectid=10000&cat=5

THE BOYS ARE BACK IN TOWN

By Robson Sharuko

THEY say home is where the heart is and, from his base in England, Dave Houghton — like Heath Streak before him — can feel the powerful attraction of a Sunshine City that is very close to his heart.

Not even four years of life in the First World of the United Kingdom, and a flirtation with coaching some of the world’s best cricket players, has diluted his passion for the place that he calls home.

Now Houghton is packing his bags, confirming his air tickets and about to take the long flight back to Harare.

Maybe the former Zimbabwean master batsman and coach has been playing the 1973 classic hit song by Glady’s Knight and the Pipps — Midnight Train To Georgia — very often these days.

UK, proved too much for the man

(Too much for the man, he couldn't take it)

He couldn’t make it, so he’s leaving a life he’s come to know

(He said he’s going)

He said he’s going back to find

(Going back to find)

What's left of his world

The world he left behind not so long ago

He’s leaving

(Leaving)

On that midnight flight to Harare

(Leaving on a midnight flight)

Said he’s going back

(Going back to find)

To find a simpler place and time

(Whenever he takes that flight, guess who’s gonna be right by his side)

I’ll be with him

(I know you will)

On that midnight flight to Harare

(Leaving on a midnight flight to Harare, woo woo)

I’d rather live in his world,

(Live in his world)

Than live without him in mine

(World, world, is his and hers alone)

He kept dreaming

(Dreaming)

That some day he'd be a star

(A superstar, but he didn't get far)

But he sure found out the hard way,

That dreams don’t always come true

(Dreams don’t always gome true, uh huh, no, uh huh)

So he pawned all his hopes

(Ooh, ooh, ooh ooh)

And even sold his old car

(Woo, woo, woo)

For a one way ticket back to the life he once knew

Oh yes he did, he said he would

Houghton is expected to take up a role with the Zimbabwe Cricket board as the director of national coaching and believes former players should be involved to help the country make a quick return to Test cricket.

But why has Houghton decided to return home?

He believes the time is right and, crucially, he told Cricinfo, he has been getting reports from a number of people that things were generally getting better.

"England is now home," he told the game’s most authoritative website this week.

"But I have been following their (Zimbabwe) scores closely, it’s good to see them playing regularly again.

"THERE ARE A NUMBER OF REASONS I’M HEADING BACK, I STILL HAVE FAMILY AND PROPERTY OUT THERE (AND) I HEAR FROM A LOT OF PEOPLE THAT THINGS HAVE PICKED UP ON THE GROUND.

"SWITCHING FROM THE ZIMBABWE DOLLAR TO THE US DOLLAR HAS HELPED QUELL HYPERINFLATION, SO HOPEFULLY, THINGS ARE LOOKING UP."

Houghton was the first player to captain the Zimbabwe Test team and scored 1 464 runs in his 22-match career.

Since 2005, he has been based in England and, among his coaching posts, was a stint at Derbyshire.

He returns to a Zimbabwean side that is no longer playing Test cricket after the authorities here withdrew the team from that version of the game at the height of internal unrest.

Slowly, the team is taking those tentative steps towards an arena where the authorities believe this country belongs.

The signs have been good so far and the helping hand has been extended by many, including some figures who were key in the rebellion that rocked the game.

Former fast bowler Heath Streak is back in the fold and reports indicate that he is being lined up to take over as coach while Alistair Campbell is now the convenor of selectors.

For Houghton all this is a good sign.

"We are the ones with expertise and knowledge and there are others who I hear are interested to come back as well," he told Cricinfo.

"It would be a waste not to involve us in the cricket with all the years we have played.

"We need to get good coaches involved and also get matches against A sides and maybe counties.

"That was a very important part of our evolution when we were first getting Test status and it would good to see them (former players) come back.

"I’m not quite sure what it will entail yet but it will be nice to go back to Zimbabwe. I was born there and played there for many years so it would be good to have a role in bringing the game back.

"They need to play sustained, good-quality first-class cricket. The crucial point is to have meaningful first-class cricket and these new franchises that have been formed will hopefully help that."

Houghton has already seen the determination, among the players and the administrators, to get the game back where it belongs.

"I definitely think they are desperate to return to Test level.

"At the moment I see them (Zimbabwe) as being at the level they were before we got Test status.

"In my view they are better than the Associates, but not quite up to Test standard yet so they are in limbo.

"Test cricket is the ultimate goal, Zimbabwe need to get back into the Test arena and the hierarchy out there will have their own ideas, so it would be wrong of me to second guess their plans.

"The door is never closed on anyone. I hear Dion Ebrahim (former opening batsman) is interested in coming back. Zimbabwe Cricket can open the door for them to come back.

"But it’s also pleasing to see that there is a crop of youngsters coming up who have been through the tough times."