Knocking on the door for national honours

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Detective RDS

Knocking on the door for national honours

Post by Detective RDS »

Link: http://www.theindependent.co.zw/sport/2 ... nours.html

Knocking on the Door for National Honours
Thursday, 17 September 2009 19:19

THE much-hyped Zimbabwe cricket franchise system unwrapped this week when the 2009/10 Logan Cup season began in earnest on Monday. The inclusion in the franchise sides of some players who had left the local game will boost competition for call-ups at both Zimbabwe “A” and national level. We look at some of the former exiles who should make a mark:

Gavin Ewing
Team: Matabelaland Tuskers

Gavin Ewing (28) is perhaps the leading of the returning players to date since the Logan Cup began this week. He arrived late from New Zealand though, missing Matabeleland Tuskers’ match against Midwest Rhinos. An off-spinning all-rounder of great potential, he played three Tests and seven ODIs for Zimbabwe, showing plenty of promise to become a key member of the Zimbabwe side before disappearing from the local scene.

Greg Lamb
Team: Mashonaland Eagles

Former Zimbabwe Under 19 batsman Greg Lamb (28) returns home having played country cricket in England for Hampshire he joined in 2004 - quite a remarkable feat for a young player who left Zimbabwe with just club and national junior representatives matches under his belt.

Ryan Butterworth
Team: Eagles

An all-rounder who has developed rather late, Ryan Butterworth (28) has received a fair amount of opportunities at first-class without exploding. He is a tall and athletic player who can bat in the top-order, sometimes opening, and also in the middle-order. He bowls useful medium pace accurately, or spin. He has spent the last two years playing league cricket in England for the Whitehaven club as an overseas professional. In 2007, after an impressive domestic season with Old Hararians club, he was voted the National League’s Player of the Year.

Gregory Strydom
Team: Tuskers

An attacking top-order batsman who likes to hit out against spinners and medium pacers, Greg Strydom (25), had question marks over his technique when he played his 12 ODIs for Zimbabwe, having little foot movement at the crease which exposed him to genuinely quick bowlers. He is however a consistent first-class performer which should see him reclaiming his place in national reserve sides at least.

Terrence Duffin
Team: Tuskers

The short-lived Zimbabwe captain Terry Duffin (27), who captains the Bulawayo-based franchise Tuskers, is more adept to the longer version of the game, not able as he was to score at a satisfactory rate in his 23 ODIs. He is nonetheless a solid opening batsman who can rally the innings at the top.

Other potential returnees: Tinashe Panyangara, Alester Maregwede, Barney Rogers, Ian Nicolson, Anthony Ireland, Dion Ebrahim, Conan Brewer, Craig Ervine, Ryan Ervine, Stephen Marillier, Allan Mwayenga.

Enock Muchinjo

Detective RDS

Re: Knocking on the door for national honours

Post by Detective RDS »

Other potential returnees: Tinashe Panyangara, Alester Maregwede, Barney Rogers, Ian Nicolson, Anthony Ireland, Dion Ebrahim, Conan Brewer, Craig Ervine, Ryan Ervine, Stephen Marillier, Allan Mwayenga.

1. Barney Rogers- Mashonaland Eagles
2. Dion Ebrahim- Matabeleland Tuskers
3. Alester Maregweede- Southern Rocks
4. Craig Ervine- Southern Rocks
5. Ryan Ervine- Southern Rocks
6. Stephen Marillier- Southern Rocks
7. Allan Mwayenga- Mountaineers

8. Tinashe Panyangara- ?
9. Anthony Ireland- ?
10. Ian Nicolson- ?
11. Conan Brewer- ?
(He used to play for Midlands in 2004)

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

Among the potential returnees mentioned, we know the team of 7 players but don't know the team of the other 4 players (Panyangara, Ireland, Nicolson, Brewer).

So, I did e-mail to Enock Muchinjo asking him to fill in the respective teams of these 4 players and thankfully he replied me ;
These four are just being spoken of in cricket circles as potential returnees, but no franchise has managed to tie them down. I would think it will be their choice about which team they join more than the franchise’s. I suspect they will join their old provinces, ie Brewer for Midlands (now Rhinos) and Panyangara Manicaland etc.
Fingers crossed... I guess, we will be able to see some more guys returning in the fold.

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

With the return of all these player into mainstream cricket, I really thought a lot of the guys who had regular places in the National side were going lose their places. But judging by performances the first round of matches. I wouldn't say returning players are just going "walk" into the side. Just think abt it. Vusi 130, Masakadza 188, Taibu, Matsikinyere were also in on the runs, Taylor made 112* in the faithwear match and M. Vermulen 73. Cremer was cleaning up the wickets at Kwekwe and also got in on the runs. I mean what more can you ask for. For the sack of consistancy we need this guys in the team and they are really justifing thier case too. Which is great for Zim Cricket. We only need one or two inclusions into the side and not another overhaul. I would also like to see more seam bowlers in the franchises. Its seems in the spin department we are really spoiled for choice.

I watched Timycen Maruma at Harare sports club and I will tell you his one to watch out for. He was giving bowlers a hard time not allowing them to settle at all. He used his fit remarkably. Reminded me of Charndapaul or perhaps D. Marrilier. He got two wickets for 55 runs off his 10 overs and made 53 runs off 44 balls at a critical stage of the game. In my book he deserved the man of the match award.
Last edited by tawac on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

Train Driver
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Train Driver »

Quite agree with you tawac, however potentially talented the returning players are or were, we must always remember that 99% of them have been playing nothing more than club cricket since cutting their ties with ZC.

It would be fantastic if they can all deserve to be fighting for a place in the National side soon, but i feel that even the most talented of them will be struggling to merit their places in domestic cricket for a while yet. If any of them can take domestic cricket by storm then they will deserve fast-tracking back into the National side.

It will be really good to see the selectors having to scratch their heads and wonder how to fit 30 players into the playing XI against Kenya in the ODI series, but i think that we will have to be prepared to wait a while until these returnees find their feet.

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

I agree with you guys. I also don't think there will be a much change in the Zimbabwean lineup for Kenya series. I think, most of the returnee players will be going to feature in the ''A'' side for the Intercontinental match against Kenya. I doubt, the returnee players will straight walk into the side barring a miracle. Yes, most of the players didn't play much only just club cricket. They have to proove their match fitness and form at first.