2021 T20 World Cup

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
slcricfan1

Re: 2021 T20 World Cup

Post by slcricfan1 »

sam_ahm wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:07 am
slcricfan1 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:08 am
sam_ahm wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:17 am
Crushing defeat for us that too at the hands of Pakistan, finally the WC unbeaten Streak against Pak is broken after 29 years. Tough to take for any of us obviously.

General feeling in India was that this will not even be a contest and it is a walk in the park. Such overconfidence.

Well it turned to be a walk in the park but for the opposition.

I always knew Pakistan are a good side, the likes of Babar, Rizwan, Shaheen, Hasan Ali all world class players, I don't know what the overconfidence was for?

Rohit and Virat are on a serious decline, not many can see it but the very fact that Virat hasn't scored a 100 in any format for 2 years is a clear indication. I don't know how much hunger our millionaire youngsters have, hunger to do well.
Thing is, Kohli performed yesterday. The youngsters really need to start performing. Theyre all so hyped but Kohli and Rohit seem to be still carrying and when they hit slightly lean patches, its very visible
Ya mate, lot of hype around a few of them.

Rohit, I have a feeling is getting out of form and so is Kohli, both are past their peak for sure. At least I have no doubts about it, just that they are still good enough to score those 50s here and there.

These young players getting so much money without even playing or achieving anything at international level is what concerns me. As an individual will you be motivated enough to work hard and strive to improve when you are getting millions for playing 2 months of IPL.

I don't know, let's see.
Anything youd change with the current lineup?

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

slcricfan1 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:25 pm
sam_ahm wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:07 am
slcricfan1 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:08 am

Thing is, Kohli performed yesterday. The youngsters really need to start performing. Theyre all so hyped but Kohli and Rohit seem to be still carrying and when they hit slightly lean patches, its very visible
Ya mate, lot of hype around a few of them.

Rohit, I have a feeling is getting out of form and so is Kohli, both are past their peak for sure. At least I have no doubts about it, just that they are still good enough to score those 50s here and there.

These young players getting so much money without even playing or achieving anything at international level is what concerns me. As an individual will you be motivated enough to work hard and strive to improve when you are getting millions for playing 2 months of IPL.

I don't know, let's see.
Anything youd change with the current lineup?
Yup, Thakur, and Kishan in for Bhuvi and Surya Kumar. You always pick players in form, that's the golden rule. I'll stick with Varun C for now.

Mighty impressed with SLN, by the way, the faith in youngsters in slowly beginning to pay off.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

SA with their traditional major tournament shenanigans :lol: de Kock makes himself 'unavailable' at the toss lol. Seems to be related to CSA 'mandating' all players to take the knee from todays match onwards. Childish on both sides. :lol:

I was actually born in SA but have little affinity with them tbh. Hoping for a Windies win - everyone's favourite second team, surely?

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

secretzimbo wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:57 am
SA with their traditional major tournament shenanigans :lol: de Kock makes himself 'unavailable' at the toss lol. Seems to be related to CSA 'mandating' all players to take the knee from todays match onwards. Childish on both sides. :lol:

I was actually born in SA but have little affinity with them tbh. Hoping for a Windies win - everyone's favourite second team, surely?
I'm a big supporter of South Africa and this is shattering. But why is QDK so much against taking a Knee. I mean what's wrong if he takes it?

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

sam_ahm wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:03 am
secretzimbo wrote:

I'm a big supporter of South Africa and this is shattering. But why is QDK so much against taking a Knee. I mean what's wrong if he takes it?
He should have freedom of choice tbf, CSA 'mandating' it is pretty shit - but hardly surprising. But then equally I don't have too much sympathy for QDK either. It's a World Cup, important game, take the knee for a few seconds - nobody even cares do they? Probably no one will remember you've even took the knee 1 ball into the game. Sometimes it's easier to just bite your lip and get on with things - although maybe thats a very white Zimbabwean view of things. Sometimes its not worth the hassle of arguing or being political.....

I mean good for him for sticking to his principles. That takes a lot of strength and character. But there won't be many in the cricketing world who agree with him or sympathise with him tbh and he's probably jeopardising his entire international future.

As with many things, do you go with head or heart?

Against WI as well, of all teams. Makes it look particularly bad for Quinton.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

secretzimbo wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:15 am
sam_ahm wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:03 am
secretzimbo wrote:

He should have freedom of choice tbf, CSA 'mandating' it is pretty shit - but hardly surprising. But then equally I don't have too much sympathy for QDK either. It's a World Cup, important game, take the knee for a few seconds - nobody even cares do they? Probably no one will remember you've even took the knee 1 ball into the game. Sometimes it's easier to just bite your lip and get on with things - although maybe thats a very white Zimbabwean view of things. Sometimes its not worth the hassle of arguing or being political.....

I mean good for him for sticking to his principles. That takes a lot of strength and character. But there won't be many in the cricketing world who agree with him or sympathise with him tbh and he's probably jeopardising his entire international future.

As with many things, do you go with head or heart?

Against WI as well, of all teams. Makes it look particularly bad for Quinton.
Well said and it's absolutely pathetic of CSA to make it mandatory. It obviously has to be a personal choice. I mean players are there to play cricket. Everything else should be optional.

QDK is also coming across as a bit stubborn, but overall I'm with Quinton on this one. You simply cannot FORCE people to do things. That is a plain and simple NO for me.

Do you think QDK has played his last game for South Africa, secret zimbo??? This looks serious.

Nate646

Post by Nate646 »

secretzimbo wrote:

What's childish about refusing to bend the knee?

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Unless he makes a very quick u-turn in the next few days then I'm certain it's the end of his SA career. He's still fairly young though so maybe several years down the line when SA continue their constant tumble to mediocrity, they might try and get him back.

Difficult issue really, been thinking about it this afternoon and I'm in two minds. Also these issues are so different and dependent on our own experiences and where we come from. It's really hard for any of us who aren't South African to judge de Kock really. 'BLM' has arisen from the US and race issues there. In a cricketing context it's been popularised by England. Race issues there are vastly different and nowhere near as complex as in SA. And then my own experiences being born into apartheid SA in the late eighties, then moving to Zimbabwe and growing up through the race issues here - I've seen enough of black people being oppressed but then I've lived through my own community and white history being wiped out in Zimbabwe too. Now I have a colored(mixed) wife so thats changed my perspective more. It's difficult and we've all got perspectives - so it's quite frustrating to see English or Indian cricket pundits, experts etc destroying him on Twitter, or defending him, or whatever. It's hard to judge a South African based on UK or Indian or even Zimbabwean views of race.

The one thing I would say is that team mates are important, they should be your brothers, and to abandon them (the majority of whom are white, btw) an hour before a crucial world cup game over something like this seems pretty shit. I feel for the rest of the Proteas out there right now.

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

Sheesh can Pakistan win the world cup? They might dominate their group jeez.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

slcricfan1 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:44 pm
Sheesh can Pakistan win the world cup? They might dominate their group jeez.
Pakistan on 🔥🔥🔥