Afro-Asia Cup

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Afro-Asia Cup

Post by eugene »

I like the idea of pitting the winners of Asia against the winners of Africa except for the fact that an African championship would be a farce unless South Africa sent a third string side. But I guess Zimbabwe, Kenya, Namibia, Uganda, etc would get some benefit out of it.

Maybe an alternative option could be used of having a full strength Asian team playing a full strength African team but also having a lower tier Afro-Asian championship featuring countries like Nepal, Afghanistan, UAE, Namibia, Kenya, Uganda, etc.

Any other thoughts to the format?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: Afro-Asia Cup

Post by maehara »

eugene wrote:Any other thoughts to the format?
If it was up to me...
5-team regional round-robin tourney, with top two going to semi finals. Then Africa 1 v Asia 2, Africa 2 v Asia 1 semis, and a best-of-three final. The group stages can be played over a while, with the final put into a two-week mini-tournament.

Africa group: SA, Zim, Kenya, Namibia, Uganda
Asia group: India, Pakistan, SL, Bangladesh, UAE
(Or you could have an associate-level qualifying tourney to choose the fifth side in each group - more match practice for the lower teams.)