Afro-Asia Cup

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
Train Driver
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Afro-Asia Cup

Post by Train Driver »

I'm sure that I saw something recently about this competition taking place this year.

Where I saw it i'm not sure but can't seem to track anything down at the moment.

Anybody know anything about it ?

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Afro-Asia Cup

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

I hope it does, I really enjoyed it last year. Especially watching the Zim boys, Sibanda and Chigumbura were both very good. Dhoni's knock of 160 (??) or so was amazing, one of the best ODI hundreds I've seen. Pollock's century was also a joy to watch.

Basically it is a combined African XI (Ken, Zim, but most SA) vs Asia XI (Ban, SL, Ind, Pak).

I haven't heard anything though, I was under the impression that it has been shuffled around a bit in recent times. The next venue is Nairobi though, so it's unlikely it will happen until the country settles down a bit.

aydee

Post by aydee »

It was in June last year, so I'd have thought it will be the same this year.

Commercially, the concept was pretty unpopular though, so it may well not go ahead...

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

aydee wrote:It was in June last year, so I'd have thought it will be the same this year.

Commercially, the concept was pretty unpopular though, so it may well not go ahead...
I don't think it was made for commercial appeal, it was made to raise funds for the African Cricket Association. I think as long as the tournament turns a profit then it will continue.

BTW, welcome to the forum - I think I forgot to say that earlier :)

aydee

Post by aydee »

You are right, but I think a lot of players didn't really make themselves available etc. If the best players play, then I think it could be a good tournament. Especially if it's played somewhere like Kenya, where they don't often get to see players of that calibre.

farhan

Post by farhan »

i think in june or july this torunament is planned to be in kenya.

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

farhan wrote:i think in june or july this torunament is planned to be in kenya.
Got a source for that? I was just checking the Future Tours Programme, and the tourney has disappeared from that - I could have sworn it had been in it before...

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I can't say I would miss the Afro-Asia Cup. It is just more meaningless ODIs crowding an already packed schedule.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/content/curr ... 36463.html

:cry: I liked the current format, it was always fun to see which Zimbabweans got selected for the African XI. Oh well, I suppose it means there is a good chance of seeing some televised matches.

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote::cry: I liked the current format, it was always fun to see which Zimbabweans got selected for the African XI.
On the other hand, now we have a full squad getting experience though the tourney instead of 2 or 3, we can pick up a few easy ranking points from Kenya (hopefully!), and the Associates get some useful match experience - especially if they include Uganda and Namibia.

Depending how they do it, the teams involved could get a decent number of matches out of it - but we'll have to wait & see what format they finally come up with...