Ireland Apply for Test Match Status

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Ireland Apply for Test Match Status

Post by zimfan1 »

Ireland apply for full membership of ICC

Email This Article To Someone!
Ger Siggins (Sunday Tribune)
2 November 2009

In separate development, the Sunday Tribune understands that CricketIreland has formally applied to become a full member of ICC. Should that prove successful – which is highly unlikely – it would open up the door to permanent ODI and test match status.

It is believed that the application to the game’s governing body is a bid to set down a marker and to provoke ICC into making a response. One of CricketIreland’s main problems has been the lack of a route-map to the game’s top table, which ICC has been reluctant to provide.
hmmm love to see what the response is cant see it happening myself

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: Ireland Apply for Test Match Status

Post by maehara »

No, it's not going to happen yet - but they've reached the stage where they had to try something to force the ICC's hand. More power to 'em for trying.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I can't see the subcontinent countries going for this. To be honest I dont think Ireland are ready just yet. Maybe another ten years? It is inportant to make sure that Ireland has successive generations of quality players and not just one generation of good players like Kenya. Kenya was fortunate to have many great players all at the same time, but now they have very little quality coming through the system.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

eugene wrote:To be honest I dont think Ireland are ready just yet. Maybe another ten years?
This is the point - even Cricket Ireland aren't trying to make out they're ready now, they just want a roadmap - and they've used the term "ten year plan" themselves - to what they need to do to get there.

Ireland are not going to improve by only playing 2-3 matches a year against Full Members, yet those same full members won't play them on anything other than an occasional basis (even at 'A' team level) without ICC prodding. If the ICC are as keen on developing the Associates as they claim to be - and that seems to be a genuine desire - then, once a side like Ireland has clearly gone as far as they can at Associate level, the ICC needs to step in with a program that covers the further development needed both on and off the field to bring that country to the next level. If you look back to the years before Zimbabwe became a Full Member, we played many, many 'unofficial Tests', initially against Full Member 'A' sides and then at least a few against full national sides, before we got promoted, and that's the stage that Ireland are looking to get to now.

Some of that is finally starting to happen (http://www.cricketeurope4.net/DATABASE/ ... 6917.shtml), but it's one thing making recommendations, the ICC needs to help make it happen. Otherwise, we'll never be anything more than a nursery side for England.

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

CI Chief Executive Warren Deutrom interviewed by CricInfo about Ireland's application: http://www.cricinfo.com/ireland/content ... 32837.html

One interesting bit, which indicates they may be looking to follow the precedent set by Zimbabwe by being a Full Member that doesn't play Test cricket - at least initially (emphasis added):
"It perhaps sets in motion a process that allows others to see the levels they need to reach in order to fulfill the same ambitions. It shouldn't be easy. Test cricket is regarded as the pinnacle of the game and it's quite right that those trying to ascend to Test cricket, or just Full Membership without necessarily involving Test cricket, have to ensure that they are coming up to some pretty rigorous criteria."

Train Driver

Post by Train Driver »

Sensibly looked at, this is indeed a long term aim for Ireland and i'm sure we all wish them good luck, the press meanwhile, seem to have this on a fast-track, surprise, surprise :roll:

Of the press reports i've seen so far they are all raving about the talent that Ireland have available, just who do they have available though ? if the players being mentioned today become test players for Ireland, then they will become overseas players as far as English domestic cricket is concerned.

Will Porterfield, Ed Joyce, Eoin Morgan, Gary Wilson, Niall O'Brien and Boyd Rankin will have to decide whether to give up their county contracts to become International players, are any of them good enough to become overseas players for their respective counties ? if not then it's a big commitment and a big loss of earnings.

To me, reality says that some of these players will actually be retired before the ICC ever come to a decision about having a meeting to consider making a decision, but good luck Ireland anyway :D

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I think any move that makes Ireland more than a breeding ground for future ENGLAND players is a good idea. If Ireland could hang on to their best players they would be a force to be reckoned with over time. The ICC really needs to spend more of its time developing Irish cricket than wasting millions on Chinese and American cricketing ventures. Unlike China and the USA, I think cricket actually has a chance in Ireland.

As a side topic, why doesn't Wales break away from England and have its own team also?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

Train Driver wrote:if the players being mentioned today become test players for Ireland, then they will become overseas players as far as English domestic cricket is concerned.
See, I don't understand why they don't count as overseas players already - especially the ones on Irish passports (Northern Irish players on British passports is obviously a whole other can o' worms). Players born outside the UK, playing for a non-UK national side - what's not "overseas" about them..?

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

eugene wrote:The ICC really needs to spend more of its time developing Irish cricket than wasting millions on Chinese and American cricketing ventures. Unlike China and the USA, I think cricket actually has a chance in Ireland.
Commercial opportunities. China and the USA are huge markets that are untapped and can bring in huge amounts of money for the ICC - which then can be plowed back into further Associate / Affiliate development, once the Full Members have taken their slice. Win-win for all concerned, if they can pull it off. Given the state of USACA, I think China's the better bet, but anyway...

Financially, cricket in Ireland will never be a big money-spinner - there's no shortage of interest in the sport, but getting people to turn up at the games is a problem. England matches attract attendances of around 8,000 (and the number of obviously Irish people turning up to support England is a worry), other Full Members half that. CI can't persuade broadcasters to take the games, either (although RTÉ have apparently signed for next year's match v Australia, which is a start). Associate games & ECB domestic matches, three men and a dog. That's the Achilles heel of Ireland's application - while they're almost there on the playing standards front, series against Ireland aren't going to be big money-spinners, at least at first.

Train Driver

Post by Train Driver »

I think, maehara, that this 'is he overseas or not' thing must be because Ireland are classified as an Associate country.

We don't seem to have any problems at Sussex with Ragheb Aga, other than his game doesn't seem to be progressing, on the few occasions that he's represented Kenya, i think the same thing is the case for Seren Waters at Surrey although going back into the past i believe that when Collins Obuya played for Warwickshire they had to have him as an overseas registration.

The ICC seem to change the rules each time they change socks, so whatever rules Irish players are bound by today will probably be completely different in a years time.