Bangladesh Pace Attack

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
Kriterion_BD

Re: Bangladesh Pace Attack

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:57 pm
Mehidy not looking threatening nor keeping it tight, again backs my point he’s only useful on a dust bowl where the pitch does all the work.

As you’ve mentioned before Kriterion it would actually be of benefit for Bangladesh to ‘pay their own way’ if needed to tour Zimbabwe for an extended test series. Sure Zimbabwe aren’t the same as NZ or South Africa, but at least their players will be able to find their grove in foreign conditions without being slaughtered like they have been.

The bowlers aren’t learning anything here today
This our first ever 3 Test series outside the SC (previous two were to PAK and SL). I’m more interested to see if the key batsmen can score runs in these conditions. Shakib, Mushy, and now Tamim have hundreds in NZ recently. Time for Mominul to step up - he averages just 25 I’m away Tests. Can they bat into a 5th day here? They really should.

I’d like to see the bowlers improve over the course of
The 3 games. Fizz is coming in for the next match, in place of Khaled most likely, but I think he should be rested and sent back home. He might pick up a couple of wickets but it won’t affect the outcome of the game unless the batters step up. Hopefully Mushy will be back and I really hope the selectors bring in another batter to replace some of the passengers in this team. It may not change things but process is more important than results at this stage. Had this been a home series, yes we would be under pressure to win but in NZ, we should aim just to draw 1 out of 3 Tests and maybe look to take 12-13 wickets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Not concerned about the bowling ?
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:48 am
Not concerned about the bowling ?
No because batting is the glaring weakness. 234 on this highway is an atrocious performance. Batsman performing should at least get you draws. Being honest, Bangladesh doesn't have the bowling firepower to win Tests outside the subcontinent so thats a moot point. If we look at this pitch, none of Boult, Southee, or Wagner have bowled real jaffas. The odd ball has swung but thats been it. Southee and Boult in particular haven't even been accurate, spraying the ball all over the place and the flatness of the pitch means they are going at 4-5 runs per over.

The issue with BD batters is that this now gone on for too long to be "just a bad innings or tour". Since the 2017 tour of SA, BD hasn't managed a single innings total of greater than 350. They have only one greater than 250. They have also failed at home vs Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe. True, in this period at least one of the Big 3 (Tamim, Shakib, Mushy) has been absent in almost every game, but 250 and 350 are not mammoth totals.

Big 3 are mainstays but are now aging. Tamim and Mushy have the fitness and hunger to play for at least 5-7 more years, but Mominul has become a guy who only scores every 5th innings with 4 single digit scores in between daddy hundreds - that too only at home. Shadman looks like an excellent find, and if we can get Mosaddek into the middle order at 5 or 6, we should be OK.

From a bowling perspective, our spinners will struggle away but thats OK and to be expected. At home they will run through any of AUS, NZ, ENG, SA.

For our quicks, we have to realize that we don't have a Pat Cummins or even a Jasprit Bumrah. We need to see if we are making any tangible progress from the likes of Shahadat Hossain and Rubel Hossain. Wickets are great and thats the ultimate index of bowling, but we need to start with the baby steps. Are they able to build pressure by bowling the right channel for a prolonged period? Can they bowl 7-8 over spells or 20 overs in a day? Can they swing the ball? Movement off the pitch? Generate bounce?

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

There was a humorous exchange of sledging between Neil Wagner and Tamim today. Tamim was on 68 not out and Soumya was on strike with Wagner fielding at mid off and Wagner was having a go at him...Tamim (and Shadman to an extent) have been excellent at hooking and pulling the short balls this Test and Tamim has also left plenty of bouncers by crouching somewhat awkwardly. Wagner attempted to hit a nerve and it went something like this:

Wagner: you lost[?] Test cricket...you [couldn't hear this part clearly] Australia, England...you lost Test cricket.
Tamim: [silence as he walks to his mark at the non-strikers end]
Wagner: this is the slowest wicket in NZ...you're lucky the weather is good...otherwise you'd have been finished
Tamim: Oh really? Well thanks.
Wagner: I want to see you crouch for 2 days...try to decide which one to pull and which one to leave...its only going to get harder, it will be up and down too...
Tamim: [smiles] I'll do my best.
Wagner: if we go to Bangladesh you'll make those shit wickets...
Tamim: we'll win 2-0 though, right? 2-0???
Wagner: you lost to Zimbabwe!

I was kind of expecting Tamim to say that he didn't play in that game and neither did Shakib, but it appears as though that was the end of that little tiff.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

So Bangladesh get flogged in the first test, but not without a fight thanks to Centuries from Tamim, Sarker & Mahmudallah

Soumya Sarker is my favourite Bangladeshi batsman, so good to watch, our old mate Mahmudallah has now scored 3 Test hundreds in his last 4 Tests !!!! Don’t think we will see him dropped anytime soon Kriterion.

Bowling really needs a lift, don’t know how much difference Shakib would have made? Not enough I would imagine.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

jaybro wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:33 am
Soumya Sarker is my favourite Bangladeshi batsman
+1. He is sensational to watch when in full flow. Like he was in this match.

BD will have to start looking at Taijul as their first spinner outside home.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:55 am

BD will have to start looking at Taijul as their first spinner outside home.
+1

Mehidy is the most overrated cricketer going around IMO, only useful on rank turning dustbowls, on anything else he’s expensive and unthreatening

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Yeah there was a bit of fight shown, but it really falls short of what was needed. Mominul scored 20 in the whole match, Mithun I think just scored 1, and Liton scored 2. Thats 6 innings for a grand total of less than 25 runs at an average of under 4. Simply not good enough. Obviously Mushy and Shakib - who had a 350 run partnership in Wellington in 2017 - would help remedy some of that.

Our bowlers should get a bit of laxity at this point. Boult and Southee looked markedly unthreatening on this pitch in both innings. Boult bowled just 2 wicket taking balls in the entire game I believe (one of them to a tailender). Mehidy might look unthreatening when the ball isn't turning, but Boult and Southee look the same when the ball isn't swinging. Together, the two guys went at close to 5 an over I think.

Personally I would go with the following lineup for the next Test:

1) Tamim
2) Shadman
3) Mominul
4) Riyad
5) Mushfiq
6) Soumya
7) Liton
8) Miraz/Nayeem
9) Jayed
10) Khaled
11) Ebadat

But I think the think tank will drop Khaled for Fizz, citing that Fizz is our best bowler into the breeze at Wellington. Don't know how they reached that conclusion.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Difference is Southee and Boult got 6 wickets each

A spinner like Mehidy really needs to be able to keep things quiet in these conditions otherwise he'll go for plenty like he did, I'd be playing Taijul instead but they're worried about batting and Mehidy can bat apparently

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:45 pm
Mominul scored 20 in the whole match, Mithun I think just scored 1, and Liton scored 2. Thats 6 innings for a grand total of less than 25 runs at an average of under 4.
While the point is obvious, the data is wrong. Mominul - 12 & 8, Liton- 29 & 1, Mithun - 8 & 0. 58 runs among them, not 23. Liton ran out of partners in the first dig. So not all is lost. Mominul will come good sooner rather than later, Liton is good when he gets going, and if Tamim, Mahmudullah and Saumya keep going, batting is decent. Like jaybro, even I believe bowling is the issue.