Inaugural ICC ODI World Cup Super League | Tournament Thread

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
Kriterion_BD

Inaugural ICC ODI World Cup Super League | Tournament Thread

Post by Kriterion_BD »

For all the non-Zimbabwe games. Series begins tomorrow with the Ireland-England series.

Quick recap:

- 13 team ODI competition of 12 Test nations + winners of the 2017 World Cricket League Championship (Netherlands)
- top 7 sides + hosts (India) will get automatic qualification into 2023 World Cup
- bottom 5 sides will join top 5 Associates in 10-team WC qualifier to be played in 2023
- top 2 teams from WC qualifer to join the 2023 WC in India
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Kriterion_BD

Re: Inaugural ICC ODI World Cup Super League | Tournament Thread

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Ireland puttting some points on the board first up. Puts pressure on Netherlands and Zimbabwe standings.

Hopefully all the fixtures will be completed in a timely fashion. Some may need to be played in neutral venues in the UAE perhaps.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Wow! Bangladesh are now top of the ICC ODI Super league table!

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

sam_ahm wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 4:23 pm
Won against very weak sides only (WI and SL). Once all the series are played, Bangladesh will most likely be 6th-7th.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 8:51 am
sam_ahm wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 4:23 pm
Won against very weak sides only (WI and SL). Once all the series are played, Bangladesh will most likely be 6th-7th.
Yes, possible, but still good enough for direct qualification to the World Cup.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

sam_ahm wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 10:24 am
Yeah, I can't see a scenario where Bangladesh doesn't automatically qualify for an ODI world cup if we play most of our Super League fixtures. West Indies, Sri Lanka, and Afghanistan just aren't good enough to leapfrog us at the moment.

Similarly, Bangladesh have been stuck behind a mediocre Pakistan side for the last 6 years now, unable to move past them. I would imagine South Africa will also stay as a similar ranked "middling" side for the foreseeable future.

India, Australia, England, and New Zealand will have the top 4 spots on lock. Pakistan, Bangladesh, and South Africa will have a dogfight for 5-7, and Windies, SL, and Afghanistan will be duking it out for the last 3 spots on the rankings table.

If they expand the WC to 14 teams, it will be interesting to see how they structure the Qualifiers. My guess is that the top 10 would get automatical qualification, with the bottom 3 of the Super League (Ireland, Zimbabwe, Netherlands) joining the top 7 from League 2 to decide the final 4 berths.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 8:50 pm
sam_ahm wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 10:24 am
Yeah, I can't see a scenario where Bangladesh doesn't automatically qualify for an ODI world cup if we play most of our Super League fixtures. West Indies, Sri Lanka, and Afghanistan just aren't good enough to leapfrog us at the moment.

Similarly, Bangladesh have been stuck behind a mediocre Pakistan side for the last 6 years now, unable to move past them. I would imagine South Africa will also stay as a similar ranked "middling" side for the foreseeable future.

India, Australia, England, and New Zealand will have the top 4 spots on lock. Pakistan, Bangladesh, and South Africa will have a dogfight for 5-7, and Windies, SL, and Afghanistan will be duking it out for the last 3 spots on the rankings table.

If they expand the WC to 14 teams, it will be interesting to see how they structure the Qualifiers. My guess is that the top 10 would get automatical qualification, with the bottom 3 of the Super League (Ireland, Zimbabwe, Netherlands) joining the top 7 from League 2 to decide the final 4 berths.
I think the next WC is still 10 teams, but they are looking to expand from 2027 onwards. In that case what you said is the likely scenario with top 10 qualifying directly.

I still see Afghanistan as a threat to some of the teams, they are good in white ball cricket. Perhaps both Sri Lanka and West Indies will have to play the qualifiers.

One thing is for sure, there are a lot of competitive teams out there, we could have easily had a competitive 14 team World Cup, it's a real shame that it is reduced to 10. Imagine what if SLN or WI, former world champions, fail to qualify for the WC. That will be a lot of shit on ICC's face.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

I would love to see the USA and/or Nepal make into the Super League for the next cycle. That could be what it takes for US cricket to blow the fuck up and go mainstream here.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Netherlands with the series win vs Ireland, 2-1. Really makes things interesting at the bottom of the table.

It's going to be very tight and may come down to NRR.

Mr Twig

Post by Mr Twig »

Ireland and South Africa split the points due to a washout meaning Zimbabwe is dead last on the ICC Super League table.

Really need to get some results in the upcoming Bangladesh series.