Ireland v New Zealand

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Ireland v New Zealand

Post by maehara »

Ireland v New Zealand in Aberdeen (1st match of Ireland / Scotland / New Zealand tri-series). Putting this in "other cricket", although there are a few reasons Zim fans should be interested in the series:

First up: Batting first, NZ have just scored 401/2. Even with an under-strength side, that's not good for Ireland - very unlikely that they'll be able to chase down that target, but with this being a ranking ODI that should conveniently mean that Zimbabwe get back to 10th in the ICC ODI rankings.

Secondly: Scotland's captain is was born in Zimbabwe, so there'll be a certain curiosity when they play as to what we missed out on...

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Ireland v New Zealand

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

I see 2/394 on Cricinfo? http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/scotlan ... 25554.html

266 run opening partnership, not too bad at all. Ireland are gone at 4/48.

Maybe Zimbabwe should arrange a series against these guys, an average booster never hurts :lol:

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:I see 2/394 on Cricinfo? http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/scotlan ... 25554.html
They've revised the Kiwi total a couple of times since I originally posted - someone's scorer was clearly distracted by all those boundary shots. :)
Maybe Zimbabwe should arrange a series against these guys, an average booster never hurts :lol:
Hey, I'd love for Zim to come tour Ireland. I'd actually get to see them play for once...! If things political are sorted out in time to reinstate next year's England tour I'd expect them to play a few games here, but I really doubt that's going to happen...

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

A record 290-run loss. Ouch...

Hadn't done my sums right on the ranking points, though, and Ireland are still in 10th - although their lead over Zim is now down to just 1 point.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Unfortunately, the Zimbabwe-born Scotland captain has managed a couple of ducks :(

But Scotland beat Ireland, is it good enough for Zim to get back into top 10? ;)

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:But Scotland beat Ireland, is it good enough for Zim to get back into top 10? ;)
Sadly not - Scotland aren't ranked on the full ODI table (they need to register a win or two over Full Member sides to get there), so the match doesn't count towards Ireland's ranking points.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Ireland vs Bangladesh A: http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/ci/engi ... 53228.html

Ireland are making mince meat of Bangladesh A. In fairness, Bangladesh A contains a lot of unknowns (no more unknown than Zimbabwe A players, but still...) - besides Rajin Saleh and Syed Rasel, there isn't much international experience.

I think that Zimbabwe A, with the likes of Blessing Mahwire, Regis Chakabva, Steven Nyamuzinga, Graeme Cremer, etc would blow Ireland out of the water. Certainly the Ireland XI that is playing Bangladesh A, that is a very weak team.

Alternatively, time to invite Bangladesh A over for a series. A confidence booster, we could even give a few kids their First Class debut. Maybe some of the U15's playing in South Africa. Am I being too overconfident now? :mrgreen:

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

Yeah, Ireland are deep in rebuilding at the moment, so they'd be a good side for Zim to play against (I'm also not convinced they've made a good choice of head coach either, but that's by-the-by). Despite that they're still in the running for being the best of the Associates - they've had a good run in the Intercontinental Cup this year, looking to retain it for the third tourney on the run. It'll be interesting to see how they do in the World Twenty20 qualifiers later in the year...