2021 T20 World Cup

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: 2021 T20 World Cup

Post by CholeZimbo »

Oman can give Zim a tight t20 game from what I am seeing.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Oman clearly a good team but their fielding is just about the worst I’ve seen at this level. They had about 7 or 8 midfields in the PNG game on Sunday, and already two dropped catches today inside 7 overs. They could easily have Ban 4 down already.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

THREE DROPS IN 8 OVERS.

Ban should be 5 down. Ffs Oman - this is not how you win matches!!!!!

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

Yeah fielding probably lost them this game :(

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

They might shock us.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

I’m surprised how poor Bangladesh look tbh. Think they will be a contender for bottom of their group in the second round unless they massively improve somehow.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

secretzimbo wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:07 pm
I’m surprised how poor Bangladesh look tbh. Think they will be a contender for bottom of their group in the second round unless they massively improve somehow.
They look nervy but if you look at their team, they are good. I expect them to beat a few top teams after getting such a scare from the associates. Inc a defeat ofcourse.

Again it shows how far the associates nations have come.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

sam_ahm wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:53 pm
secretzimbo wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:07 pm
They look nervy but if you look at their team, they are good. I expect them to beat a few top teams after getting such a scare from the associates. Inc a defeat ofcourse.

Again it shows how far the associates nations have come.
Definite quality in there but seems like they are carrying a lot of passengers as well. To lose to Scotland and be given a scare by Oman is pretty poor.

And yep, absolutely right about associates. Write them off at your peril.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

There are only 2 somewhat proven T20 batters of any calibre in the Bangladesh lineup. And by somewhat proven, I mean bang average with the ability to play a match-winning knock every now and then. Thats Mushfiq and Mahmudullah. Maybe 3 if you add Shakib. Now that should not be construed as an insult or overly harsh, because those guys are all class cricketers in either Tests and/or ODIs. But they simply lack the skill for T20. And at this age, they won't be getting much better.

Mushfiq has been in wretched form in T20s for the last 25 games. Shakib is always hit or miss, mostly a miss with the bat. So that leaves just Mahmudullah as a decent batter, and he's not all that good. Just the best BD has. Here's the rundown of the current Bangladesh squad:

Liton Das - this guy is approaching Ashraful territory in terms how many unwarranted chances he will get. The second most annoying player to play for BD after Mohammad Mithun, IMO - and most other BD fans would agree. Ashraful, as bad as he was, can still say that he smacked legends (McGrath, Murali, Pollock, Kumble). The best bowlers Liton has ever done anything against are Jason Holder and Sheldon Cottrell.

Soumya - man's got talent, but after 6 years of being in the side, you have to more than just 3 international centuries, and two match-winning knocks to justify your place in the squad. I would still keep him around, because no one in Bangladesh hits sixes as effortlessly as he does. Unfortunately, the sad truth is he's probably nearing the end of his stint with Bangladesh.

Mohammad Naim - Decent knock today, but this is just Oman. He'd still be first on my team sheet, but he's a pretty limited player as his strike rate of 105 coming into this game will prove. But with an average of nearly 30 - by FAR the highest on this Bangladesh team, perhaps he can lend some stability like Tamim does to the ODI side. It won't translate to very many wins, but perhaps it will let us score 150+ consistently against most teams.

Mahadi and Afif - Just not good enough to consistently score against the best teams. At least not yet.

Nurul - still early days for him, and he's always coming in to just hit out and failing most of the time. But he does still seem to be one of the better big hitters we have. Another example of a talented player who should have been kept around the senior squad, but spent years in the wilderness because the BCB would rather give 50 chances to fail to guys like Sabbir or Mithun or Liton.

The bowlers I feel are doing an honest job. Not world class, so you can't really expect them to win games when the batters don't step up.

In short, Bangladesh will probably just sneak into the 2nd round - probably a good thing as it puts them in an "easier" group in terms of matchups on slow Asian wickets - but they will need to improve quite a bit if they want to win any games in the Super 12s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

I rate Tamim as the best Bangladesh batsman, I rate him ahead of Shakib. This is a very very strange decision by Tamim to not play this world cup, and Bangladesh are missing him like hell.

Any specific reason for him backing out @kriterion?