Afghanistan tour of Bangladesh (World Cup Super League)

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
Kriterion_BD

Re: Afghanistan tour of Bangladesh (World Cup Super League)

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Miraz 0-28 off his 10. Top class bowling.

BD will want to restrict the Afghans to 220 or less from here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Well, well, Afghanistan are absolutely demolishing Bangladesh here. I didn't expect this but have to say Afghanistan are taking giant strides.

Afghans certainly are making it directly which means if Zimbabwe or Ireland have to qualify (or anyone else) then inevitability one of the top 8 nations are going to miss out from the WC. One of SLN / WI are at huge risk.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

What the hell is going on here?

I went to bed far later than I should with Tamim taking 8 off the first over. Woke up thinking, "lets see how easily we've chased this down"...I see 170 odd for 6 and think "looks like we're making this a game...wait a second, last recognized pair have put on 130 odd together...what the fuck happened???"

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Wow! What a match! What a match!!

This has to go down as one of the best ODI partnerships ever. Incredible win for Bangladesh. I think we are in for a cracker of a series. Both teams pretty evenly matched.

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

sam_ahm wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:19 am
Well, well, Afghanistan are absolutely demolishing Bangladesh here. I didn't expect this but have to say Afghanistan are taking giant strides.

Afghans certainly are making it directly which means if Zimbabwe or Ireland have to qualify (or anyone else) then inevitability one of the top 8 nations are going to miss out from the WC. One of SLN / WI are at huge risk.
West Indies I reckon. SL at full strength are much more solid than the WIndies

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

slcricfan1 wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:26 pm
sam_ahm wrote:

Ya mate, WI are a team of sloggers and given they've lost a home series against Ireland, I see don't any reason why they can't miss out.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

slcricfan1 wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:26 pm
sam_ahm wrote:

SL and Windies are neck and neck in ODIs. Both have terrible pace attacks, and their batting is suspect.

Super League will eventually be decided by point % so one of SL/WI is definitely going to have to go to the qualifier. Perhaps even both if Afghans pick up a few more wins against any opposition.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Afif and Mehidy stood up. The youngsters led the charge in the NZ Test win and now here against a quality bowling attack. Good signs but they will need to be consistent.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Everyone saying not much separates the two sides going into the 2nd ODI. I wholly disagree. Its not often that all of Tamim, Shakib, Mushfiq, and Riyad will combine for less than 30 odd runs at home on a flattish wicket. Afghanistan on the other hand put in a very usual batting performance. If they bat like shit, they can score less. But if they bat out of their skins they will get 260-270 max on a 300+ par pitch.

It will be interesting to see how the Afghans come back from the mental aspect of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory - a feeling Bangladesh knows all too well.

I do like the look of this Farooqi...slight of build and not overly tall, but bowls with decent pace (high 130s), is a left armer, and gets some movement. Only 21 years of age, so he could develop into a fine cricketer. And AFG deseperately needs some young quicks.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Very sloppy from the Afghans today. 25 extras conceded in the first 16 overs! Bangladesh too bowled a shit ton of wides in the first 20 overs the other day.

Solid start from Bangladesh...but they will need to really get big partnerships if they want to threaten the 300 run mark.

I reckon though than 250 ought to be enough against an Afghan side that can hit plenty of sixes, but can't work the ball around the field.