Associate test XIs

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
andy24
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Associate test XIs

Post by andy24 »

while looking at this coimbined associate XI game agianst england. Does anyone believe that the best associate players in the world deserve to have thier own combined XI and play test. I for one think it would it be a great idea as it give associate players something to strive for.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Associate test XIs

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Maybe; it depends on the quality of the team. I do like the idea as it gives associate players something to aim for but maybe the current initiative should be expanded first. For the time being I would be happy to see the Combined XI play a First Class game against a different Test team each year as some sort of annual event/showcase for associate players.

andy24

Post by andy24 »

i think one off games would be a good idea. The only concern would be how do these sides get picked and run.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

ICC Comb XI 281 & 90/5 lead England XI 185/8d by 186 runs.

England declared but with only 2 wickets in hand I reckon ICC Comb XI would still have had a first innings lead. They might be in a bit of trouble now though with only 5 wickets in hand; they probably need a lead of 300 to bat England out of the match so a lot rests on this partnership and whether Viljoen can repeat his performance from the first innings.

If we saw another bold declaration that would really make things interesting though. If England were set a target of 270 odd with 65 overs left it could go either way.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

I like this match and the idea behind it, but they shouldn't be a test team.

andy24

Post by andy24 »

lost by three wickets to england, which is not a disgrace by any means. Plus i would have to say this would not be the strongest Associate XI that could of been produced either. Names like ten doschete, and cooper plus the o brians would of added more strength to the batting.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Yeah, there could certainly be a stronger XI, more Irish and Dutch, as you say.