India and India A tour of Bangladesh 2022

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
sam_ahm

Re: India and India A tour of Bangladesh 2022

Post by sam_ahm »

Zakir Hasan did get a very good century. Bangladesh do fight but too much to do because of that terrible 1st Innings.

From India's perspective I'm a bit surprised with how ineffective Ashiwn has looked. The other two spinners have done well.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:59 pm
Bangladesh A with a very solid draw...Zakir Hasan with a massive 173...Shanto with 77, and Mosaddek with 63 in the first innings.
Zakir follows the 173 vs India A, with a hundred on Test debut here. Superb innings. Shanto also batted very well but needs to be more consistent and needs to carry on. All Shanto has to do is stop flirting with every ball outside the off stump away from his body. If Jamie Siddons can drill that into his game, Shanto is gonna be a hell of a #3 batter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

After this series, Bangladesh's WTC campaign ends and we have only 3 Tests scheduled (1 vs Ireland, 2 vs Afghanistan) for the next 12 months. The tail end of 2023 will see us host New Zealand to start the next WTC cycle.

Bearing that mind, I actually like the prospects of Bangladesh's Test side going into that NZ series. There are 3 other "easier" Tests at home that we have to try and formulate our best strategy going forward.

Tamim Iqbal
Mahmudul Hasan Joy
Najmul Hossain Shanto
Zakir Hasan
Mushfiqur Rahim
Liton Das
Nurul Hasan/Yasir Ali/Mosaddek Hossain
Mehidy Hasan Miraz
Taijul Islam/Khaled Ahmed
Taskin Ahmed
Ebadot Hossain

Thats a solid 14 players and add in Nayeem Hasan to make 15. This is assuming Shakib retires from Tests by the end of next year. There's still Shoriful Islam, and for uncapped players, opener Tanzid Hasan Tamim. I think this core group, especially the youngsters should be given the Ireland and Afghanistan series to settle in their groove.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

BD winning the toss and batting first. 22-0 after the first 10.

India playing 3 seamers and 2 spinners. The Indian quicks have bowled very well. Beating the outside edge of both batters almost every other delivery. Shanto has been especially vulnerable. The ball isn't even moving all that much, but the Indian seamers lines have been impeccable so far.

The BD openers have done well to survive so far, albeit with a fair bit of luck. No clue what a par score on this wicket is.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Poor batting performance here. 350 is probably par score on this surface, batting first at least. Mominul with a terrific knock, but no one else even reached 30. 4 of the top 8 got out to very soft dismissals. Very disappointing stuff to be sure.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

There was a lot of talk by Indian experts that the pitch will worsen as the game goes on, let's see how India bat today but I do agree that Bangladesh have got a below par score here, lot of batters got starts but couldn't go on.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

87 run innings deficit at the half...huge in the context of this game. That being said, Bangladesh have perhaps surprisingly shown more fight in this Test than the previous one. They still have a tiny outside chance of winning this Test or at least getting into a winning position. This is still a very strong Indian lineup with Ashwin, Kohli, Pujara, Pant, Siraj, and Axar good enough to walk into almost any other team's first XI. Plus Kuldeep who played in the first match and KL are also first team India selections. A far weaker side won a whole series in Australia not so long ago.

Back to the match situation. Shanto and Zakir will take heart from their century stand in the 4th innings of the previous match. This pitch is tougher to bat on - a fairly sporting pitch - but by no means is it a minefield. Discipline is the key - a lot of batters perished playing the sweep shot. Which is why I cringe so much when the ZIM guys try to sweep spinners. Who plays spin slash sweep shots better than Indian players? The Bangladesh batters didn't play too many sweeps and thank goodness...this is not the pitch for that shot. Play straight when the ball is in line, but if there is width, play with a horizontal bat (cuts and pulls) to minimize the risk of sharp turn. Take a big stride out to smother the spin.

Still behind by 80 runs, but with all 10 wickets in play going into a brand new day, the plan should be to bat cautiously at least till lunch on Day 4. A target of 225 might even be a tall ask on the 4th innings here.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Anyone have a stream link to this? Looks like an interesting test
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Whoa...game on! I fell asleep when Taskin had belted a couple of boundaries figuring the game would be over by stumps. Great to see the fightback. I would say its 50-50 right now, perhaps even a sliver of an advantage for BD since Kohli and Pujara are out.

You get Axar, Pant, and Iyer and Bangladesh are basically home. Thats going to be a challenge. But the pitch is really starting to offer turn and bounce now.

I have a willow subscription for the past 8 years, so I'm no longer too knowledgeable about links. I think I heard crictime.com or something has links...

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

That 70-odd on a tricky 3rd innings pitch must be the most critical knock Das has played in his career. Not to forget the 30s by Nurul and Taskin.