India and India A tour of Bangladesh 2022

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
Kriterion_BD

Re: India and India A tour of Bangladesh 2022

Post by Kriterion_BD »

That was a hell of a game from a neutral perspective.

Very disappointing from a Bangladesh perspective. So many shouldas in this game...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Kriterion_BD

Re: India and India A tour of Bangladesh 2022

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Our next Test isn't until Ireland come knocking for a one-off Test. This is a very very important Test match for Bangladesh. We have now finished well at the bottom of the WTC in both cycles so far with a pathetic record of 1 win, 16 losses, and 2 draws. The result of the match is of utmost importance regardless of which players may be missing or playing for either side. Bangladesh simply cannot afford to lose a Test to Ireland. In fact, we cannot even afford to just sneak past them either. The result has to be at least a comfortable win, and preferably a thrashing to dispel any notion that Bangladesh's level is closer to that of the 3 non-WTC full members.

Assuming we have a fully fit squad - a reasonably tenuous assumption given the age of some of our senior players who will be playing the BPL in between - these are the guys I'd like to see (in batting order):

1) Tamim Iqbal - was obviously missed vs India as he would have likely flourished vs India's second string bowling attack. That being said his form prior to injuring his groin was perhaps the worst its been in his illustrious career. Hopefully he makes a big comeback and has the hunger for runs still. He will have just turned 34 by the time the Irish arrive, and having already retired from T20s, I hope he can play on in both Tests and ODIs till 2027.

2) Zakir Hasan - looks a great find so far. Hit a century on debut and added a gritty fifty in the following match vs India. Looks good, but so too did Mahmudul Hasan Joy just 14 months ago, and he lost his spot in the team to Zakir. Unlike most Bangaldeshi newcomers, Zakir comes with a tremendous amount of First Class experience (70 matches before his Test debut), and this may end up giving him a decisive advantage.

3) Najmul Hossain Shanto - has had flashes of brilliance, but has mostly been ordinary thus far. I believe he has a tremendous amount of talent, and only one technique flaw (albeit a massive one), and so I would like to see him be persisted with. He averages a shade over 27 since he made his comeback in 2020, which isn't a good average, but its also not terrible either. Despite being a regular in the side for almost 3 years now, he has just turned 24 and plenty of batters have been mediocre in their first 20 Tests. Has the advantage of being vastly experienced for a player of his age.

4) Mominul Haque - made a solid comeback to the fold, breaking a near world record streak of 9 consecutive single digit scores when he hit 84 to single-handedly hold the innings together in Mirpur. His problems are more mental than they are of a technique nature as attested to by Russel Domingo himself. Having only been dropped twice in his career (back in 2017, and then again this past June), perhaps the third time's the charm for the diminutive former captain.

5) Mushfiqur Rahim - doubts about his ability are starting to surface amongst the fans. Long known as Mr Dependable for his abilities to accumulate runs in the middle order with a rare consistency, his returns of late have been meagre. However, he did hit 175 just one series prior vs Sri Lanka.

6) Liton Das - Has really elevated his batting in the past year, and headlined that with a sparkling 73 on a tough Mirpur wicket. He's been Bangladesh's leading run scorer since the WTC began in 2019, averaging a shade under 45 with the bat. Nurul Hasan's fumbles behind the stumps, means Liton is probably now also considered the best gloveman in the country.

7) Shakib al Hasan - despite having one score in the 80s, his unbelievably soft dismissals in both innings at Mirpur reinforce my belief that while Shakib is a great batter in his own right, he's not a top order scorer. He belongs in the middle order where his sub-optimal technique won't be as much of a liability. His bowling still seems to be as good as ever, and at his age and having a full bowling load, batting as far down the order might be the best for him. I would also like to see a more attacking batter bat at the 7 position, because as Shakib and Liton (and to lesser extent Nurul and Taskin) showed, a rapid scoring burst low down the order can often create pressure out of nowhere for the opposition bowlers and fielders.

8) Mehidy Hasan Miraz - really came on with the bat in the ODI series, and did well with the ball in the Tests. I think he's finally reached the Shakib level of being a genuine all-rounder, although all of his stats may not indicate it just yet. Eventually I think he's a guy good enough to bat in the top 6, and also lead the spin attack too. I would like to see him push his batting average to 30 plus over the next couple of years.

9) Taskin Ahmed - he's been around for a long time, but surprisingly this was just his first home Test. At the moment he's probably on par with Khaled Ahmed in terms of bowling ability, and both are bowlers who operate in the 135-140 kph range, although Taskin has gone quicker. But Taskin's improved batting gives him the advantage over the genuine bunny Khaled.

10) Taijul Islam - in away Tests would probably make way for Khaled or the next quick in the depth chart, but his bowling is as consistent as its ever been. Bowls with loop and can turn the ball prodigiously on the right surfaces. His batting ability is well below average, and so I have him at 10.

11) Ebadat Hossain - the lone express quick in a lineup of fast-mediums. Bowled well without luck in Chattogram before missing the Dhaka game with a back injury. Hopefully nothing serious as no news has been mentioned in the media. His bowling is still not as consistent as it should be, but this grou[ of pacers are a dedicated and hard-working bunch. His batting has improved leaps and bounds, and he might relegate Taijul to the #11 spot soon.

X) Nurul Hasan - lack of consistent runs and costly mistakes with the gloves renders him as the backup WK now.

X) Khaled Ahmed - has improved his bowling considerably this year, being second only to Ebadat for most Test scalps among the pacemen. Again, consistency is the goal.

X) Nayeem Hasan - bit surprised he wasn't even considered in the squad, but with 3 spiners ahead of him, it will be hard for him to crack the XI consistently.

X) Musfik Hasan - perhaps the leading domestic pacer in the circuit right now, young Musfik continues to hit the stumps and pick wickets with impressive consistency.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)