2023 ODI World Cup | Preview Thread

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
sam_ahm

Re: 2023 ODI World Cup | Preview Thread

Post by sam_ahm »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:20 am
sam_ahm wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:40 am
Looking at how poor SL have been and the West Indies, I think as long as South Africa somehow manage to qualify directly for the World Cup, there is a good chance both SL and WI might miss out to two of Zim/Ire/Net.
Anything is possible. My money is on SA and SL to qualify, and if SA are not in the tournament then SL and WI just due to the fact that the major sides will use their big match temperament to win in the clutch. if SA get into a knock situation, all bets are off, however :lol:
Yeah that experience of playing so much more cricket will come in handy for SL and WI. Zimbabwe, suddenly look like the biggest threat to both those teams because of home advantage and also the kind of current form and momentum Zimbabwe are carrying.

Ireland come across as a slightly more mentally stronger team , they dont panic and dont get intimidated against big opponents, they were the only team to beat Eng at the T20 WC more than the result what impressed me was that they never looked intimidated by the english team and took the fight head on, also they have West Indies' number, so it is going to ve very interesting for sure.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

sam_ahm wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:56 am

Yeah that experience of playing so much more cricket will come in handy for SL and WI. Zimbabwe, suddenly look like the biggest threat to both those teams because of home advantage and also the kind of current form and momentum Zimbabwe are carrying.

Ireland come across as a slightly more mentally stronger team , they dont panic and dont get intimidated against big opponents, they were the only team to beat Eng at the T20 WC more than the result what impressed me was that they never looked intimidated by the english team and took the fight head on, also they have West Indies' number, so it is going to ve very interesting for sure.
The Irish do seem to have made the Windies their bunny. They also always slay a giant in every tournament. On the other hand, in recent times Ireland has become Zimbabwe's bunny team. Zimbabwe have also made SL their bunny team.

Very little separates Sri Lanka and West Indies on the one hand...and very little separates ZIM and IRE on the other. A couple of upsets and we might a very different scenario than what happened in 2018/19.

Its gonna be hella exciting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

No one is coming close to India in an ODI on their turf
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

India will be hot favorites, that's for sure.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

India definitely strong favorites to win...even if they end up missing 1-2 key players they have more than enough bench depth. I give them a 75% chance to win as the pre-tournament faves. I think Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Australia will be the other semi-finalists.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

I'll be surprised if Bangladesh make it that far mate! Good team but they will struggle against the big guns. May find themselves finishing mid table like 6th.

I think the four semi finalists will be India, England, Australia and Pakistan. I'll give South Africa an outside chance as well for making it to the top 4.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

sam_ahm wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:29 am
I'll be surprised if Bangladesh make it that far mate! Good team but they will struggle against the big guns. May find themselves finishing mid table like 6th.

I think the four semi finalists will be India, England, Australia and Pakistan. I'll give South Africa an outside chance as well for making it to the top 4.
Really depends on the form of Tamim, Shakib, and Mushy. They will all be mid-30s in age. If that trio fires though, the pitches in India should favor Bangladesh against all teams except India and Pakistan.

pillowprocter

Post by pillowprocter »

Honestly, feel like it'll be the same semifinalists as 2019.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

pillowprocter wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:41 pm
Honestly, feel like it'll be the same semifinalists as 2019.
I expect spin to be a bigger part of this tournament and consequently I suspect the Asian nations will fare better than the non-Asian ones.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

By beating England, South Africa are definitely through. Sri Lanka won't win a single game vs NZ and what little chance Ireland had vs Bangladesh is now gone due to the series being played on a neutral venue.

So its almost sure to be WI, SL, and Ireland to join Zimbabwe as the full members in the Qualifiers.