2023 ODI World Cup | Preview Thread

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
Kriterion_BD

Re: 2023 ODI World Cup | Preview Thread

Post by Kriterion_BD »

eugene wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:48 am
Following football in Bangladesh must be tough, the national team is completely irrelevant, even in Asia, and I can't imagine the domestic league has much going for it.

I guess in the 2000s top tier international cricket was still a novelty. I think cricket's popularity is declining in most parts of the world - the T20 hype disguises the decline, but in all honesty I think far fewer people care about cricket now than they did 20 years ago.
People in Bangladesh love Argentina or Brazil far more than Bangladesh in football. Its actually kind of pathetic once you stop laughing about it. Bangladesh routinely loses in football to not just Nepal or Qatar, but to teams like Maldives and Singapore too. Literally, one of the worst FIFA members out there, lol.

And yes, cricket seems to be far less relevant now than years gone by. I was in England for the 2019 WC and all around London there was ZERO indication that there was a world cup going on. But there were plenty of ads for the NFL and NBA.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

It is a bit hard to get excited these days for cricket. If you aren't interested in meaningless T20 Franchise leagues there are a only a handful of international fixtures left where one sees the best players outside of the quadrennial tournaments.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:55 am
I was in England for the 2019 WC and all around London there was ZERO indication that there was a world cup going on. But there were plenty of ads for the NFL and NBA.
Really?! The first sentence you are right, but as for lots of ads for NFL or NBA? I spend lots of time in the UK and most of my extended family and friends live there. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who enjoys any of the American sports, they are almost non-existent over there (and indeed, in most countries). They have the big glamour NFL matches at Wembley each year where people go 'to be seen', but I'm guessing most of the poms have no idea what is really happening on the pitch :lol:

Cricket is certainly not as popular in England now as it was 20+ years ago, but it is still probably 1,000x more popular than NFL and especially basketball!

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Cricket has certainly lost ground in most countries though for sure. It used to be broadcast on free to air TV in England/Australia/SA every weekend, and now it never is - it all went behind a paywall 15 years back and that is surely a massive reason.

Cricket has put all its eggs in the India basket, and continues to do so more and more. It will have to desperately hope that the sport never falls out of fashion in India or else it's truly fucked.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Happily I've seen more people talk about cricket in Zimbabwe in the last six months than probably the last 6 years :lol: Let's hope it continues!

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

secretzimbo wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:17 pm
Kriterion_BD wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:55 am
I was in England for the 2019 WC and all around London there was ZERO indication that there was a world cup going on. But there were plenty of ads for the NFL and NBA.
Really?! The first sentence you are right, but as for lots of ads for NFL or NBA? I spend lots of time in the UK and most of my extended family and friends live there. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who enjoys any of the American sports, they are almost non-existent over there (and indeed, in most countries). They have the big glamour NFL matches at Wembley each year where people go 'to be seen', but I'm guessing most of the poms have no idea what is really happening on the pitch :lol:

Cricket is certainly not as popular in England now as it was 20+ years ago, but it is still probably 1,000x more popular than NFL and especially basketball!
OK I exaggerated a bit. But I saw a few posters outside pubs reading “we broadcast NFL games”. And I saw zero about the cricket World Cup. That’s a disgrace.

I was at the Bangladesh vs NZ game at the Oval and the Bangladeshi kid who was working the catering venue told me “he loved the NFL” when he realized me and my buddy were American Bangladeshis who loved cricket.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

secretzimbo wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:19 pm
Cricket has certainly lost ground in most countries though for sure. It used to be broadcast on free to air TV in England/Australia/SA every weekend, and now it never is - it all went behind a paywall 15 years back and that is surely a massive reason.

Cricket has put all its eggs in the India basket, and continues to do so more and more. It will have to desperately hope that the sport never falls out of fashion in India or else it's truly fucked.
Can't speak for the UK or RSA, but In Australia the majority of cricket is still on FTA.

Ever since Kerry Packer's World Series Cricket, the Home of Cricket in Australia was always Channel 9 which is a FTA station. This was the case until 2018 where Channel 7 (another FTA station) and Fox Sports won a joint bid to take away the rights from Ch 9.

The deal was that both would broadcast the Test matches and share the Big Bash, the only difference would be that Fox had and still have sole rights to the Australian Limited overs matches and also domestic matches such as Sheffield Shield & Marsh Cup 50-over.

There was the danger that all cricket might go to pay TV as the marriage between Ch 7 & Cricket Australia was a rocky one from day one, but after some marriage counselling they seem to both back sleeping in the same bed again.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Thats good to hear about Australia.

I don't think a Test match in England has been broadcast FTA since 2005.

Found some UK government stats, regular cricket playing participation has fell from 420,000 people in 2007 to 300,000 last year.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Less than 2 months to go before the WC and the schedule keeps changing...now Bengal Association is asking to change the PAK v ENG fixture.

Seriously, if India has so many logistical hurdles and security concerns, they should not be hosting major ICC events.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

India seem a bit of a disaster as hosts, how can anyone plan to attend matches when the dates are constantly changing?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes