Ireland in Bangladesh 2023 | Test, ODI, and T20I series

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
Kriterion_BD

Re: Ireland in Bangladesh 2023 | Test, ODI, and T20I series

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Terrific fightback from the Irish boys. Ireland might just be my second favorite team now. Obviously, its easier to root for them because Bangladesh are still heavy favorites. Otherwise I'd be singing a different tune haha. If only the Irish top order had a half decent start to the innings, Ireland could potentially have been thinking of winning this Test.

Tector looks like the real deal. So polished and only just 23. Tucker too is class...really hope he gets a big hundred here to put BD under some pressure. IDK how he only averages 19 in ODIs.

I reckon 150 could be very tricky to chase in the 4th innings...and Ireland still with Adair, Tucker, and McBrine are only about 100 odd runs from getting to that mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:50 am
Terrific fightback from the Irish boys. Ireland might just be my second favorite team now. Obviously, its easier to root for them because Bangladesh are still heavy favorites. Otherwise I'd be singing a different tune haha. If only the Irish top order had a half decent start to the innings, Ireland could potentially have been thinking of winning this Test.

Tector looks like the real deal. So polished and only just 23. Tucker too is class...really hope he gets a big hundred here to put BD under some pressure. IDK how he only averages 19 in ODIs.

I reckon 150 could be very tricky to chase in the 4th innings...and Ireland still with Adair, Tucker, and McBrine are only about 100 odd runs from getting to that mark.
Would be quite embarrassing for Bangladesh if they were to lose at home to a very understrength Ireland team in their 4th Test
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:02 am
Would be quite embarrassing for Bangladesh if they were to lose at home to a very understrength Ireland team in their 4th Test
Would be par for the course though. We lost to Afghanistan at home with an almost full strength squad - only Tamim Iqbal out of that game. Lost to ZIM too, albeit missing a 2-3 first teamers at the time. We almost beat India in our last Test at this ground...but we've also lost to every team at home in recent years so whats with adding Ireland to that list? :lol:

I hope the Irish can post a decent target for us. Definitely don't want us to lose, but also want to see a good game.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Tucker falls for 108. Sensational knock.

Ireland were 13-4 and still 142 runs behind. This has been a phenomenal comeback regardless of the outcome of the match.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Ya it’s an impressive comeback.

It’s a shame their CEO has stated they have no intentions of hosting Tests in Ireland in the next few years at least. I’ve watched test cricket in Zim, SA, England and Aus so Ireland is an easy one to tick off next on my list if they ever do

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

secretzimbo wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:33 am
Ya it’s an impressive comeback.

It’s a shame their CEO has stated they have no intentions of hosting Tests in Ireland in the next few years at least. I’ve watched test cricket in Zim, SA, England and Aus so Ireland is an easy one to tick off next on my list if they ever do
I think they are working on developing their grounds and increasing permanent seating. That and also it just rains so much there that unless climate change creates droughts, it really doesn't seem like they will get many results which would be a major drag. Idk if Northern Ireland has better climate, perhaps they should just play LOI matches in Dublin and the Republic and play Tests in Belfast.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Hats off to Tucker, McBrine, and Tector. They just need to find a couple more consistent batters at the top...Campher I think can be one and of course Stirling who's out. Really hope McBrine can get to his century...thoroughly deserves it. What an achievement it would be if he also snags a 10-fer in the match!

Really love the fight and spirit from this Irish side. Definitely will root for them anytime they don't play Bangladesh.

I'd say Bangladesh are still ahead, but if McBrine can get the Irish to a lead of 200, its gonna be very tight.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Ya I think I read they are hoping to host some Tests in 2024 but it will most likely be in Bristol. That’s a big shame.

Their government has announced a new cricket stadium to be built just outside Dublin but that could be many years away I suppose.

Malahide is literally a village ground. They have to build all sorts of temporary stuff every time they play there so for a Test (which would probably attract a very small crowd Vs teams like Bangladesh/Zim/Afg) it’s a huge financial loss.

It’s like trying to host a Test match at Bindura!

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

It’s really hard to understand on what grounds they were given test status?

They don’t seem to have the facilities

They don’t have a deep player pool

They don’t have a first class competition

They don’t seem to have the interest from the general population to actually fund the growth of the game

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I’m saying that, I’m ok with them getting test status, but I assumed it would result in more tests between Zimbabwe, Ireland & Afghanistan.

But ultimately it hasn’t eventuated due to lack of funding etc. I’m Not sure what the ICC expected when they pretty much divided the test world with the Test championship. I would have thought they’d find some of the costs to have the other 3 nations play each other.

I’d love to see some Ireland v Zimbabwe Tests, there’s a really good rivalry between the two and I feel like they’ll be evenly matched for the foreseeable future.

Unfortunately for them, I feel Afghanistan will leave them for dead, they pretty much are already in limited overs cricket.