Sri Lankan cricketers attacked by terrorists - 5 injured

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Sri Lankan cricketers attacked by terrorists - 5 injured

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2009/03/03/ ... 236063268/
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... AD96MCPE81

Jayawardene, Sangakarra, Mendis, Samaraweera and Paranavitana were all hospitalised I understand. :(
Thankfully none of the injuries are serious because the rockets missed the bus. But it sounds like Samaraweera sustained a hip injury, like others presumably because of debris and glass that was propelled.

I wonder how the ICC will react to this. Obviously no teams will play in Pakistan, and I reckon a few countries might think twice about playing them at all.

Detective RDS

Re: Sri Lankan cricketers attacked by terrorists - 5 injured

Post by Detective RDS »

"TERROR TARGETS CRICKET"

Key Facts:

* 2nd test Sri Lanka vs Pakistan cancelled.

* Attack held when Sri Lankan team started in the team bus for the stadium to play the day 3 of 2nd test.Attacked held nearby Liberty Market,Pakistan.

* 12 terrorists surrounded the bus and started shooting to the bus.

* Terrorists weared jackets and there was a flag of Pakistan over it.

* Terrorists armed with Rocket Launchers,Greneds,Hand greneds,AK-47 and many modern rifles.

Police: 12 terrorists involved.

* Walkie-takie,medicines,pistols,dry fruits and biscuits found also.

* Uproar in Sri Lanka government to send the team to Pakistan.

"We all dived to the floor to take cover" -Mahela Jayawardene.

" I dont regret playing in Pakistan" -Kumar Sangakkara.

* Sri Lanka team to fly to Colombo via Abu Dhabi.

"Gunmen targetted the wheels,then the bus" -Mahela Jayawardene.

Lahore: Jayawardene,Sangakkara,Mendis injured.

Another source says that 8 members of Sri Lankan cricket is injured.6 players and 2 other cricket officials.

"We applogise to Lankan government" -Pakistan sports minister.

Police: 12 terrorists involved in the attack on Sri Lankan cricket team.

* 4th umpire Ahmed Raja injured.

Lahore: Police arrests 4 suspect from Model Town area.

* Thilan Samaraweera and Tharanga Parnavitarana still in the hospital.

"Not seriously injured.Want to go home now" -Kumar Sangakkara

Lahore: 5 policemen killed.

* Same manner as 26/11,Mumbai terror attack.

* Assistant coach of Sri Lankan team is injured.

* Chaminda Vaas is injured also.

* 3 doctors to fly with Sri Lankan team to Colombo.

Punjab Governor: Attack by people responsible for 26/11.

* Army helicopters lifts Lankan players to Lahore airport.

"Indian players shocked,concerned about injured friends"
-Ravi Shastri,Former Indian player,Commentator.

"World Cup difficult in Pakistan in current situation"
-Sharad Pawar,Former BCCI president.

* Injured Lankan players safe.

* Pakistani players are safe also.

* It is a planned attack.

* Sri Lanka replaced India to tour Pakistan.

* India withdrawn Pakistan tour for the Mumbai terror attack.

* This is a black day for cricket.

* Impossible for Cricket to take place for 4/5 years.

* ICC to decide about WC 2011 venues within 48 hours(probably).

* Surely,Pakistan will be cut off to host WC 2011 matches.

* IPL season 2 doubtful also.

Source: NDTV,CNN,BBC.

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

More links about this incident:

(1) Sri Lankan cricketers injured in terror attack
http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/pakvsl/ ... 93212.html

(2) Gunmen remain at large after Pakistan attack on Sri Lankan cricket team
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/ma ... t-shooting

(3) Gunmen shoot Sri Lanka cricketers
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/7920260.stm

(4) 6 dead in attack on Sri Lankan cricket team
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/0 ... =hpmostpop

(5)Sri Lankan cricketers wounded in deadly Pakistan attack
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 61,00.html

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

It might not be a bad move to shift the 2011 World Cup to Australia and New Zealand. Bangladesh is in strife at the moment, Pakistan is experiencing major problems with terrorism, Sri Lanka is in the middle of a civil war... granted the situations in Bangladesh and Sri Lanka haven't really affected cricket yet (as far as I know?), but it seems that the situations are quite volatile. Really only India is viable at the moment, but is in the predicament of being surrounded by countries which are unstable. I think there has to be serious consideration given to switching the World Cup in Asia to 2015, and playing the 2011 edition in Australia.

I'm interested to know what other peoples thoughts are about this idea? Is it still logistically possible?

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

I am still trying to come to terms with what has happened today. This is outrageous. Even if they want to defend their attacks giving whatever nonsensical reasons they can come up with, Sri Lankan team must have been the last one to be on the receiving end. We can understand the illogical anger of terrorists towards England, Australia and of course India, but Sri Lanka? I am still at a loss. These are the guys who toured Pakistan when they did not need to, to make up for the losses Pakistan Cricket Board would have incurred due to the cancellation of Indian tour (it is another matter that Sri Lankan board itself is in the brink of financial collapse and stand to gain some money out of this unscheduled series).
brmtaylor.com admin wrote:I'm interested to know what other peoples thoughts are about this idea? Is it still logistically possible?
For me, whether it is logistically possible or not should not be a question at all. This is the only thing that is logically possible. It is better to shift 2011 down under and plan for 2015 in the subcontinent.
brmtaylor.com admin wrote:Really only India is viable at the moment, but is in the predicament of being surrounded by countries which are unstable
With general elections coming up in April and May, even India will be without an authoritative government for a couple of months at the very least. With neighbours Pakistan, Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka on the brink, we are bracing ourselves for some of the most insecure times in decades.

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
I'm interested to know what other peoples thoughts are about this idea? Is it still logistically possible?
Well,personally I want the World Cup 2011 to be held in subcontinent (Except Pakistan).But I think it's not possible in current circumstances.I am giving here some logics:

Pakistan, is surely out of calculation.It is impossible for Pakistan to host international matches unless there is any dramatical change in security concerns.Currently,Pakistan has to play away series and they can use the Middle East venues(Abu Dhabi,Dubai,Sharjah etc) as their home series.That's all for Pakistan.

India, problem occured after the Mumbai terror attack in 26/11/'08.Though England toured India after this for a 2 match test series but the security demand which includes commando also of England team managment was very long and high even more than any president of a country.After the Pakistan terror attack,doubtness is going over IPL season 2 also.But my prediction is that IPL seasn 2 will be held in due time.But if world cup matches are held in India,it will be very difficult for the BCCI to fulfil the all of those security demands and we know world cup is the biggest tournament of cricket and there will be many teams and persons related to cricket profession.I suspect it will very hard to maintain all of these.Moreover,terror threats used to come over Indian players also likes of Dhoni,Tendulker,Sehwag,Yuvraj.To host the WC 2011 matches,possible but will be very difficult.

Sri Lanka, there is fighting going over Sri Lankan military and 'Tamil Tigers'.Though,cricket isnt affected in Sri Lanka for this.But the ongoing dispute will be a concern indeed...

Bangladesh, the BDR affair is finished and every thins is now normal.It was an internal problem though the life the people was stopped for a while.The security of Bangladesh was never been questioned by any country and there is no terrorists in Bangladesh.Now the Premier Cricket League is also going in Bangladesh.So,there is no problem for Bangladesh at least...

Questons being asked whether the WC 2011 will be held in subcontinent or not after the Mumbai terror attack in India.The latest terror attack of Pakistan over Sri Lankan crickets has also lacked the chances of it.There will be no Pakistan,there is security problems in India,Civil war in Sri Lanka and a battle held recently in Bangladesh among the defence.

The main decision is to be made by ICC.There is a possibility of join hosting between Ind,SL and Ban.But I think the other boards will provide problems in it and will show security concerns.

So,I think WC 2011 will be held in Aus-NZ and 2015 WC in subcontinent in order to give some time to make the things better.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/srilank ... 93489.html

Samaraweera got shot in the leg. They think he might be out for a couple of months. Mendis who got shrapnel wounds in his head and upper body will also be out for over a month :( You have to put it in perspective though, thank God they are alive.

This is pretty despicable by Ijaz Butt - http://aus.cricinfo.com/pakvsl/content/ ... 93513.html - accusing Broad of lying when he claimed security was lax. I don't think the PCB or the Pakistani government is in any position to start slinging that sort of rubbish around. If Butt had half a brain he would lay low and keep his mouth shut - the PCB is certainly not the flavour of the month.

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

I agree with you,brmtaylor.com admin.Well,it's not a great surprise for me although.PCB always used to behave like this.But this is 100% true that there was lackings of security for Sri Lanka.Even it also came to light that some securitymen fleed away when the attack came over Sri Lankan players.Really shame!It's better to keep no securutymen.

The umpires and match officials complained that there was very less security for them.I am sure that there will be no international cricket in Pakistan for upcoming future days.

Another thing,the WC venues will be decided in the ICC meeting next month in Dubai.

As far as the injuries of the players are concerned,I heard that Samaraweera may have to go for an operation in his knees.Opener Tharanga Parnavitarana needs some more treatment.
I am also thankful to Almighty that they are all well after such an attack.Much credit must go to the bus driver,Mohammad Khalil.He drove the bus when there was shooting all around keeping in mind that Sri Lankan players are guest in Pakistan and he cant let them die.Brave approach indeed!

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

Thilan Samaraweera,Tharanga Parnavitarana and Ajantha Mendis will need at least 2 months to recover from injury after surgery.It wont suffer the Sri Lankan team as there is no international cricket during this period of time.

But this will rule Ajantha Mendis out of the first part of IPL season 2.