ICC world cup qualifiers

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
r@ndom

ICC world cup qualifiers

Post by r@ndom »

i was just wondering whether the forthcoming matches between the associates in South Africa are to be offical ODI's or just simply list A. With Ireland and Kenya playing it could affect Zimbabwe's ranking if they are offical one day internationals

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: ICC world cup qualifiers

Post by maehara »

The only matches that would affect the main ODI rankings would he any between Kenya and Ireland.

Matches between two of the six ODI associates (Kenya, Ireland, Scotland, Netherlands, Bermuda, Canada) have ODI status, other matches are all List A. Apart from Kenya v Ireland, games with ODI status would affect the separate Associate ODI rankings, but not the main ODI table.

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

For a bit of fun who does everyone think will win the qualifiers and who will be the top four sides progressing to the world cup

im going for

Ireland (just for maehara)
Canada
Netherlands
Namibia

I think Namibia are a good side with lots of promise, i haven't been impressed with Kenya recently so think they may drop out of the top four

andrewn9

Post by andrewn9 »

I'll go Ireland (winners)
Netherlands
Scotland
Kenya

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

There's actually quite a bit to play for in this, so let's cover it all.:)

- the eight sides (top 4 from each group) that qualify for the Super Eight stage will play in the Intercontinental Cup for the next 4 years;
- of the Super Eight, the top 6 finishers will have ODI status;
- and the quarter-finalists will qualify for the World Cup.

Group A: Ireland, Scotland, Canada, Oman, Namibia, Uganda
Group B: Kenya, Netherlands, Bermuda, UAE, Denmark, Afghanistan

So, I predict:
World Cup qualifiers: Ireland, Kenya, Namibia, Scotland
ODI Status: Canada, UAE
Intercontinental Cup entry: Denmark, Netherlands

I would like to see Uganda reach the Super Eight, but I think their group is too strong.
If I was betting on an "upset", then Afghanistan to qualify for the Intercontinental Cup instead of Bermuda.

Anyone else want to take a shot? Remember, 8 qualifiers in total, 4 from each group.

aydee

Post by aydee »

Ireland, Kenya, Scotland, Namibia...

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

World Cup qualifiers:

Ireland (Winner as they performed well in the WC 2007)
Kenya (Reached semifinal in the WC 2003 may be for luck but they reached)
Scotland (Have players in the English county cricket)
Netherlands (I think)

ODI status:

Canada
Namibia

Intercontinental Cup

Bermuda
Denmark

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

Ireland and Canada are currently two of the leading sides in the tourney - does that mean we can get Zim 'A' a World Cup place too? :D

Anyway. Current state of play is that Oman and Denmark can't proceed and are out of the reckoning.
Group A: Ireland, Scotland, Canada have qualified for the Super Eight; Namibia or Uganda will follow based on Wednesday's results.
Group B: Kenya, Netherlands, UAE have qualified for the Super Eight; Afghanistan or Bermuda will follow.

In Group A, Namibia play Ireland while Uganda play Oman, so my money is on Uganda going through - which would be a real shame for Namibia. They're far stronger at the 4-day game than the 1-day, but they're likely to be turfed out of the Intercontinental Cup based on their performance in a 1-day tourney.

In Group B, Afghanistan play UAE while Bermuda play Netherlands, so I tip Afghanistan to go through.

Any other takers..?

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

Bermuda lost in the final round of group matches, and lost their ODI status and place in the Intercontinental Cup with it. Namibia managed to sneak ahead of Oman and Uganda on NRR. So the Super Eight, and Intercontinental Cup qualifiers, arye:
Ireland
Kenya
Canada
Netherlands
UAE
Scotland
Afghanistan
Namibia

Ireland are so far unbeaten; Afghanistan and Namibia have yet to record a win against the other Super Eight sides.

Top 6 after the Super Eight get ODI status, top 4 qualify for the World Cup.

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

Well, well, well - this tourney isn't going to plan for some of the big teams. Current situation:

Ireland have qualified for the final & for the World Cup.
Canada have ensured ODI status for the next 4 years.

Everything else is still up for grabs, and will depend on the final round of Super Eight matches tomorrow - the most important of which will be Scotland v UAE, which Scotland must win to retain their ODI status. Given they were one of the pre-tournament favourites, that's not a good position for them to be in.

In theory, any of the sides could still qualify for the World Cup. The winner of Afghanistan v Namibia will almost certainly get ODI status, as will the winner of Scotland v UAE. Should be an interesting day's play...

UPDATE: Of interest to Zimbabwe is the result of Ireland v Kenya, which is a ranking ODI. If Ireland win & I've done my sums right, they'll go to 22 points in the ODI rankings, just 1 point behind Zim (Kenya would remain on 0). If Kenya win, Ireland will drop to 13 points, Kenya will gain 5.