What will be the Asheas squad of Australia?

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
Detective RDS

What will be the Asheas squad of Australia?

Post by Detective RDS »

What do you think what will be the Asheas squad of Australia?

My prediction:

BATSMEN

1. Ricky Ponting (C)
2. Micheal Clarke (VC)
3. Phillip Hughes
4. Simon Katich
5. Micheal Hussey

ALL ROUNDERS

6. Andrew Symonds
7. Shane Watson
8. Marcus North
9. Andrew McDonald

WICKET KEEPER BATSMAN

10. Brad Haddin

BOWLERS:

11. Mitchell Johnson
12. Brett Lee
13. Stuart Clark
14. Peter Siddle
15. Doug Bollinger
16. Nathan Hauritz

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: What will be the Asheas squad of Australia?

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Yes, I agree with that mostly. I don't think McDonald, Symonds and Watson will all get picked though. Probably 2 of those guys will get selected, which 2 I could not guess!
Last Ashes tour they took a backup wicket keeper, so I wouldn't be surprised if that happened again this time. As much as I'd like to see Luke Ronchi get picked, it will probably be Graham Manou.

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

Well, the squad is announced today.

Link: http://content.cricinfo.com/engvaus2009 ... 05109.html

Yes, Australia took a back up wicket keeper and it's Graham Manau. Luke Ronchi is better with the bat definitely although he isn't in the 25 contracted players list.

The most surprising thing is that, Andrew Symonds isn't in the squad. Well, he is having a good IPL tournament. Watson added to the squad, that's perfect. I thought that McDonald will be eleminated, after he scored 3 runs and bowled 3-0-22-0 agaisnt RCB in IPL (http://content.cricinfo.com/australia/e ... 92232.html). But he is still in the squad, probably for his last test against SOU where he showed good all round performance. It can be said that he has beaten Symonds in the conflict.

In the bowling prospective, they have taken Hilfenhaus not Bollinger. Hilfenhaus has 7 wickets in 3 tests at 52, that's really not good stats. On the contrary, Bollinger had a 5 wicket haul against Pakistan, unfortunate not to be picked.

Heard that, there was a possibility for Brad Hodge to be included in the side after his success for KKR in the IPL. Has got an average of 50+ in the test. But no space for him also, probably for the extra wicket keeper.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

The selectors would not be looking at IPL form, it is a completely different game to Test cricket.

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

I just thought that actually for the last year. I mean players like Shane Watson, Shaun Marsh earned call up in the national side after their IPL success last year, but they were called for ODIs firstly. Yes, test is a different game in comparison to T-20.