ICC World Twenty20 (2009)

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

ICC World Twenty20 (2009)

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Netherlands beat England :D
I only watched the England innings and woke up to the news the next day. The addition of Dirk Nannes adds a lot to their structure... Zimbabwe really needs to develop a 140+ bowler.

Scotland almost beat New Zealand. I saw the last bit of this game... did Watson (the Zimbabwean) bowl well or what! Superb bowling in a tough situation.

And the Aussies got hammered :(
Warner looked good though, proving he is not a one-hit wonder. A responsible innings too, it was enjoyable to watch.

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: ICC World Twenty20 (2009)

Post by maehara »

"It's only Netherland, we can rest a few players..." Whoops. :lol: :D
England are getting some whipping in the media today, let me tell you. And Scotland came very close to turning over New Zealand. It's turning out to be quite an interesting little tourney.

Admit to being glad that Bangladesh lost to India, though, as that makes Ireland's task a little easier - beat Bangladesh on Monday, which isn't too much to ask of them, and we're through to the Super 8. ::fingers crossed::

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

I did feel bad hearing Netherlands beat England.

I watched the innings of England. They started aggressively making 100 odd runs in about 12 runs but the later they were to slow in batting approach, I reckon. Probably for the fact they missed Kevin Pietersen for achilles injury. I did find some mistakes in selection. Robert Key is a test match kind of player and I don't he is suited nicely in T20 format despite he could have done well in county cricket. Eoin Morgan is also slow, believes in building innings. Dimitri Mascarenhas should have played the match, it was a mistake to eleminate him. He did well for Rajasthan Royals in IPL. The spinners always stops the run flow in T20. England should have gone for an extra spinner, Graeme Swann, he did well in the ODI's.

But the good thing is that they have come highly against Pakistan by eradicating their mistakes which they did in the last match, playing XI selection. KP blasted 58 and Pakistan crumbled to chase down 186 but finishing 130+ losing 7 wickets in 20 overs.

South Africa is my favourite. New Zealand my second favourite. Also supporting Australia though they lost not against WI but against Chris Gayle. England for Kevin Pietersen.

Bangladesh, if they loss against Ireland, I am surely going to kill Mohammad Ashraful.

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

Detective RDS wrote:I did feel bad hearing Netherlands beat England.
Not a bit of it. Complete arrogance on England's part, and they thoroughly deserved to lose.
Bangladesh, if they loss against Ireland, I am surely going to kill Mohammad Ashraful.
Can't agree with you there, either - Ireland can surely win this, although they need to pick up the pace a little at the moment...

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

Bangladesh 137/8 (20/20 ov)
Ireland 138/4 (18.2/20 ov)
Ireland won by 6 wickets (with 10 balls remaining)

::does happy dance::

Some strange bowling decisions by Bangladesh, though...

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Congratulations maehara. Didn't see the game... what were the bowling decisions like? Surely it wasn't like the time when Utseya (or Masakadza?) miscalculated and left Gary Brent an over or so short?

I remember seeing that Shakib bowled really well against India a few days ago. Between him and Mortaza I'm surprised they didn't hold Ireland off.

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:Congratulations maehara. Didn't see the game... what were the bowling decisions like? Surely it wasn't like the time when Utseya (or Masakadza?) miscalculated and left Gary Brent an over or so short?
Pretty much. Stuck with the text commentary - I'm in work - but if CricInfo tell the truth: Ireland were coping rather better against pace than with spin, but Bangladesh were using pace bowlers at the death when they did have spin bowlers with overs to spare. Debatable whether a bowling change would have been enough to save Bangladesh's blushes, though.

andy24

Post by andy24 »

this is great for cricket, if two assoites make it through to the super 8s

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:Congratulations maehara. Didn't see the game... what were the bowling decisions like? Surely it wasn't like the time when Utseya (or Masakadza?) miscalculated and left Gary Brent an over or so short?

I remember seeing that Shakib bowled really well against India a few days ago. Between him and Mortaza I'm surprised they didn't hold Ireland off.
Ashraful should just resign as captain. I would rather give the captaincy to Shakib. He is a thinking cricketer.

T-20 is a spinners game. Mashrafe is a bit crumsy at the death, we know about the last ball 6 incident by Brendan Taylor and he also gave away 20+ runs in the last over for KKR. So, it okay to finish his quota at 15/16 over.

At the death spinners should be given to bowl. They can stop the run flow. Rubel Hossain was expensive in that match. He shouldn't be given to bowl at the death either, only for his poor bowling in the last over against Murail Bangladesh wasn't able to earn a tri series title back home early in this year. Despite he has goy good pace and bounce.

With two overs being left at the match, Ashraful gave Rubel to bowl. But Shakib and Razzak both had an over left each. (http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/355997.html). I don't know why he can't understand it's clever to bowl the spinners at the death, not the pacers. Pacers just gave the runs away.

Finally, I can say it's a very very poor captaincy and I am very disappointed with the effort of Ban. Even coach Jamie Siddons says that these Bangladeshi players lacks simple cricket knowledge. They should work in it. T20 2009 has harmed the reputation of Bangladesh really.