Bangladesh beat West Indies by 95 runs in 1st test

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
Detective RDS

Bangladesh beat West Indies by 95 runs in 1st test

Post by Detective RDS »

Link:

SCORECARD
http://www.cricinfo.com/wivbdesh2009/en ... 01071.html

MATCH REPORT
http://www.cricinfo.com/wivbdesh2009/co ... 14146.html

Bangladesh has beat West Indies by 95 runs in the 1st test. It's the 2nd test victory of Ban after they beat Zimbabwe in 2004 at Chittagong. Although it wasn't the best West Indies XI missing the senior players for board and players dispute about their contract. But this new looking side also played well providing much conflict. Anyways, a test win is a test win. In this prospect the vice-captain of Bangladesh Shakib-al-hasan said before the match if Ban would win that match, first 2 months people would remind that it wasn't the best WI XI but after that they would forget. In the history, it will be written that Ban has beat WI in test.

It's the best answer of lossing against Ireland in WT20 2009. It proves that was just an upset. For the fact that it was a T20 match and anything can happen in T20. For an instance, Eng lost against Net, who expected that to happen! Test cricket is the real test of the temproment of the players. But I will blame former captain Ashraful for that loss entirely for surprising picking of bowling options.

Previously, I told that if Masharfe gets injured being a pacer then there would be a chance for Shakib to perform the leadership job. The wait wasn't too long for him at all. In the 1st innings, Mashrafe became injured while bowling. So, basically Shakib was the on-field captain on the remaining part of 1st innings and in the 2nd innings. So, full marks to him!

I also want to clear here some things. It was believed by many that when Ashraful plays well, Ban wins and when he doesn't, Ban losses. Ashraful scored 6 and 0 respectively in this test but BAN won. I explain that theory like...when most of Ban batsmen fire, Ashraful fails when Ban needs just a moderate score from him. But most of the time he failed to deliver.

There is no question about the potential of Ashraful as a batsman. But it has to come out. But Ashraful can't bring out. I also don't think that Ashraful is a poor captain. Under his captaincy, Ban won ODI's against NZ,SL and played close test against SL and NZ. But he has lack of confidence and self belief that Ban could won. While playing a close match, eventually he starts to look unconfident and throw the match to the opposition making simple tactical mistakes.

Notice Shakib as a team leader. Calm and thoughtful. It's a test of the mindset which a captain has to show and I think Shakib has performed it with perfection.

Again, I will praise Ashraful for the wicket of Miller, he delivered the break through to Ban. At least the leg spin of Ashraful is working. That's also sufficient!

Thanks to the man of the match Tamim Iqbal for his maiden century (128) in the 2nd innings and Zunaed Siddique (78). They had a 146 runs partnership. Debutant Mahmudullah for his 5 wicket haul in the 2nd innings. Last not the least Shakib for his all round performance and captaincy skills. And Mashrafe also because he was always with the team being an adviser/supporter. Also to the coach Jamie Siddons.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Bangladesh beat West Indies by 95 runs in 1st test

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Great win for Bangladesh, since I heard West Indies were fielding their second eleven I knew Bangladesh would record their second win. And probably their third, if WI take the same squad into the next match.

West Indies couldn't expect to field a team of debutants against any team and win. Even though Bangladesh aren't high in the rankings, their players have experience. Mashrafe and Ashraful probably have around 100 Tests between them... ironic really that these players hardly played a part in the win!

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

Well said, brmtaylor.com admin.

I guess, this strike of the top of players of WI will be long. West Indies will retain their same squad for the 2nd test (http://www.cricinfo.com/westindies/cont ... 14523.html). Even I heard that the Champions Trophy squad will be announced from them and the players who will make themselves available for selection.

And the good news is that Shakib-al-hasan will lead Bangladesh in the 2nd test also but Bangladesh will miss Mashrafe but I hope the spinners and the other bowlers will make up his absence like they did in the 1st test (http://www.cricinfo.com/wivbdesh2009/co ... 14489.html). But it's high time that Bangladesh should look for a test series win and achieve their third test victory.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

I reckon if the Zimbabwe ODI tri-series ends up going ahead, it will be India, Zimbabwe and West Indies. If West Indies are going to take that squad to the Champions Trophy they will want them to get some additional matches in. Could make for an interesting series to be honest; I think the gap between Zimbabwe, Bangladesh and West Indies is closing.

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:I reckon if the Zimbabwe ODI tri-series ends up going ahead, it will be India, Zimbabwe and West Indies. If West Indies are going to take that squad to the Champions Trophy they will want them to get some additional matches in. Could make for an interesting series to be honest; I think the gap between Zimbabwe, Bangladesh and West Indies is closing.
That makes it interesting. Also it's good for international cricket prospective. But I guess that marks a question over the two version of test cricket. Along with Zimbabwe, the first 5 sides in 1 versio and the other 5 five sides in the other version. I think, this plan is created by ICC president David Morgan. But personally I don't like the idea. The weak sides can definitely improve their cricket level by compatating against strong sides.

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

Detective RDS wrote:But I guess that marks a question over the two version of test cricket. Along with Zimbabwe, the first 5 sides in 1 versio and the other 5 five sides in the other version. I think, this plan is created by ICC president David Morgan. But personally I don't like the idea. The weak sides can definitely improve their cricket level by compatating against strong sides.
I did a piece on just that sort of idea three years ago: http://sandbox.zimcricketnews.com/2006/ ... -structure

A two-division Test system can work, so long as it's done in a way that isn't designed to protect those sides that feel they have a "right" to always be in the top tier. Unfortunately, that'll never happen.

anandikav

Post by anandikav »

the present west indies team which played in the ODI series against Bangladesh is secondary team only.. without top quality players WI struggles to manage for a win.