Series Thread: Ban vs WI ODI series

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
Detective RDS

Series Thread: Ban vs WI ODI series

Post by Detective RDS »

Bangaldesh has won the 1st ODI against West Indies by a good margine of 52 runs.

Scorecard:
http://www.cricinfo.com/wivbdesh2009/en ... 01073.html

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Series Thread: Ban vs WI ODI series

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

I thought the West Indies first choice players had made themselves available again?

Nonetheless a solid win for Bangladesh. I think Zimbabwe will be a bigger test for them than West Indies second eleven to be honest. I can't wait for the tour to begin :D

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

They made themselves available, but then weren't selected (http://www.cricinfo.com/iccct2009/conte ... 16306.html). I believe the striking players only made themselves available again after the deadline for naming Champions Trophy squads, so WICB are playing the new boys as they'll have to play them in the CT anyway.

Which means that if WI play in Zim in August, it'll likely be the weakened side we get to play against...

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

maehara wrote:They made themselves available, but then weren't selected (http://www.cricinfo.com/iccct2009/conte ... 16306.html). I believe the striking players only made themselves available again after the deadline for naming Champions Trophy squads, so WICB are playing the new boys as they'll have to play them in the CT anyway.

Which means that if WI play in Zim in August, it'll likely be the weakened side we get to play against...
I don't think the tri-series will go ahead in August if West Indies don't play their best team (or something resembling their best team), India and TV rights will dictate that.

I would have thought the ICC would have made an exception to allow West Indies best players back in the squad... they have made themselves available again, surely not allowing them to play devalues the tournament. Not that the Champions Trophy really ranks up there anyway :lol:

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:I don't think the tri-series will go ahead in August if West Indies don't play their best team (or something resembling their best team), India and TV rights will dictate that.
Agree.

And Bangladesh won again yesterday. Their biggest run chase ever. Irrespective of the quality of the opposition, their confidence will be sky high when they reach Zimbabwe :(

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

How strong is this West Indies team? Maybe someone who has seen parts of the ODI's can comment on this...
Could they be so poor that Bangladesh will fall into a false sense of security? Or are they stronger than Zimbabwe?

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:How strong is this West Indies team? Maybe someone who has seen parts of the ODI's can comment on this...
Could they be so poor that Bangladesh will fall into a false sense of security? Or are they stronger than Zimbabwe?
I have watched the whole series till now. I guess, the main fact is that the captaincy of Shakib al hasan. He is just a world class player. Changed everything in Bangladesh cricket. It wasn't the skill, Bangladesh was far behind in self belief and confidence. But after sacking Ashraful as captain, Shakib has lead Bangladesh upfront, I mean leading from the front. Even in the 2nd ODI, scored a crucial 65 runs and took 1/42 (10). His ODI batting average is now 34.1. Bangladesh has clinced the series after beating WI by 3 wickets in the 2nd ODI.

Scorecard:
http://www.cricinfo.com/wivbdesh2009/en ... 01074.html

Match Report:
http://www.cricinfo.com/wivbdesh2009/co ... 16699.html

Coming to the new look West Indian side, their batting was very poor. They really struggled against Ban spinners. Dale Richards is aggressive, I liked the way he bat but he isn't at all comfortable against spin. Andre Fletcher is inexperienced, Floyd Reifer is totally out of touch and really scared of spin. Exceptional is Travis Dowlin who scored 95 in the test and 100* in the 2nd ODI along with Dave Bernerd and Devon Smith, who was in and out in WI team for the last couple of years scored well in the ODI series. Omar Phillips who played in the test series and scored at 40 should have been named for the ODI's.

In the bowling department, Kemar Roach is an excellent find for WI side. He has got good pace, took 13 wickets in 2 tests and 5 wicket haul in the 1st ODI although he struggled in the 2nd ODI and was forced to get out of the attack after bowling 2 beamers. Other pacers, Gavin Tounge who debuted in the 2nd ODI, seemed allright. Nealon Pascal was very expensive in the 1st ODI. Darren Sammy and David Bernard both allrounders bowled quite well. But their spinners weren't ablt to done the trick. Ban played the spinners very well. Neither Nikita Miller or Rawl Lewis. Lewis was expensive, I think. Ryan Austin was unable to get wickets in the tests.

And in the fielding, WI was all over the place. They fielded very poorly.

Talking about the strength, WI was competitive throughout the series but were out played by Bangladesh. I am not so sure if this side is stronger than Zimbabwe. I haven't watched Zimbabwe playing since the ODI series vs Ban back in Jan. And I think we will watch a changed Zimbabwean side after the inclusion of Vermeulen, Coventry and Taylor (?). So, Ban vs Zim challenge will be a great contest above all !

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Detective RDS wrote:I guess, the main fact is that the captaincy of Shakib al hasan. He is just a world class player. Changed everything in Bangladesh cricket. It wasn't the skill, Bangladesh was far behind in self belief and confidence. But after sacking Ashraful as captain, Shakib has lead Bangladesh upfront, I mean leading from the front.
Agree completely. Shakib at the helm has made a huge difference. Their is tremendous self belief now. There is a performing captain.

This 2nd string West Indies team is miles better team than the 2nd string Zimbabwe side that was pushed in soon after rebel walkout. Few of the players were close to / part of ODI scheme of things anyway. But it is their inept approach and Tigers' new found confidence that has resulted in the current scoreline. So, by the looks of it, from Zimbabwe series point of view, this will be by far their toughest series against Bangladesh, despite getting back a few of the proven performers.

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

Bangladesh has whitewash West Indies (3-0) by beating them in the 3rd ODI by 3 wickets. Good batting display by Mahmudullah and Zunaed.

Man of the match was Mahmudullah and the skipper Shakib al hasan was named the man of the series.

Scorecard:
http://www.cricinfo.com/bangladesh/engi ... 01075.html

But eventually lost the T20. 4 run out's are not acceptable at all. It will really slow down the run rate and force the team to loss and that happened also.

Scorecard:
http://www.cricinfo.com/bangladesh/engi ... 01076.html

Auntu

Post by Auntu »

I hope that Bangladesh will take this form to ZIM to win the series.
It's Naeem once again! Tigers roars back!
banglacricket.com