Intercontinental Cup Thread (matches not involving Zim XI)

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Intercontinental Cup Thread (matches not involving Zim XI)

Post by maehara »

This thread for Intercontinental Cup matches that don't involve Zimbabwe XI.

Seems another side have come unstuck against Afghanistan - they've just beaten Netherlands in a real nail-biter in Amstelveen:
Netherlands 181 (de Grooth 54, Hamid Hassan 4/45) & 132 (Borren 63, Mirwais Ashraf 4/24)
Afghanistan 107 (Nowroz Mangal 41, Borren 3/21) & 209/9 (Noor Ali 56, Schiferli 5/57)
Afghanistan win by 1 wicket

That puts them in 3rd place in the tourney table, with everyone but Zim XI now having played at least two matches. Watch out Ireland, I think they have their eyes on the title already...

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Intercontinental Cup Thread (matches not involving Zim XI)

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Afghans will soon become the new darlings of world cricket. Hats off to them, they continue to impress and surprise us.

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

Afghanistan is really a good addition to world cricket nations. I must appreciate them as they are playing well/have prepared themselves well in difficult circumstances, I mean keeping in mind their political condition etc.

tawac

Post by tawac »

Detective RDS wrote:Afghanistan is really a good addition to world cricket nations. I must appreciate them as they are playing well/have prepared themselves well in difficult circumstances, I mean keeping in mind their political condition etc.
I reckon its a good thing Afghanistan in playing and playing well for that matter. I hope other nations wld just take Zimbabwe the same way, politics aside lets jus play the game.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

tawac wrote:I reckon its a good thing Afghanistan in playing and playing well for that matter. I hope other nations wld just take Zimbabwe the same way, politics aside lets jus play the game.
Problems like this don't help their case, though - they may find that getting visas to play in certain countries becomes next to impossible if players then refuse to return home after the series. Also an issue for Uganda at the moment.

arunkumarrr

Post by arunkumarrr »

Afghanistan team is really a good addition..

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

Afghanistan v Ireland is now underway, on neutral ground at Rangiri Dambulla International Stadium, Sri Lanka. At close of day one:

Ireland 324/7 (98 overs; Porterfield 78, Samiullah Shenwari 3/55)
Afghanistan yet to bat.

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

Close of Day Two:
Ireland 405 (118 overs; Porterfield 78, Samiullah Shenwari 4/75)
Afghanistan 263/3 (74 overs; Nowroz Mangal 84, Botha 1/14)

I'd give Afghanistan the upper hand here at the moment. In the tourney table, Afghanistan is currently level with Zim on points (Zim ahead on Quotient), so it would be to our advantage for Ireland to win - and that's not just my natural bias speaking. :)

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

maehara wrote:Close of Day Two:
Ireland 405 (118 overs; Porterfield 78, Samiullah Shenwari 4/75)
Afghanistan 263/3 (74 overs; Nowroz Mangal 84, Botha 1/14)

I'd give Afghanistan the upper hand here at the moment. In the tourney table, Afghanistan is currently level with Zim on points (Zim ahead on Quotient), so it would be to our advantage for Ireland to win - and that's not just my natural bias speaking. :)
Looks like Ireland are really missing the recently retired McCallam and the injured Boyd Rankin. BUt on the other hand it shows that our result against Afgahistan wasnt to bad since they have gone on the beat the Netherlands and now have the upper hand against Ireland.

And Ireland are also missing Paul Sterling on under 19 duty.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Afghans are chasing an unlikely victory. Ireland 202 all out, and needing 134 for a win, they are 29/1 now, with 105 more needed in 22 overs. An interesting finish on the cards...