Colin de Grandhomme is now in NZ test squad!

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Colin de Grandhomme is now in NZ test squad!

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Mr Twig wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:53 am
65 off 37 so far. About time he scored some runs.
Yeah, he's had a wretched season with the bat. Especially at UAE when the ball was not coming on to the bat. Much needed comeback to form pushing declaration.

With the ball though, he's been very disciplined and has enjoyed some success - has had a better time of it compared to even Wagner.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

CDG seems to be benefitting from his team mates carrying the slack left by him, the fact the entire Kiwi top 6 have been making runs and the bowling double of Southee and Boult have done so well have really covered over the fact that CDG hasn’t been making runs or taking wickets.

I think if the side wasn’t winning so much he would have dropped by now.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

jaybro wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:34 am
I think if the side wasn’t winning so much he would have dropped by now.
He hasn't failed that regularly to be dropped in my view. He ended the last season well and It is just that he has had a slow start to this season. He might have issues though when the ball does not come on the the bat. His trigger happy approach was exposed in UAE. But there is no one even close to him in NZ challenging for that role. Anderson? Neesham? Bracewell? They have all been found to be less useful than CdG. CdG has that excellent bowling control that works really well as follow up to a burst by Southee and Boult. And with the bat, he can, and has, changed the complexion of a game in half an hour.

CdG in fact can walk into most test teams of today as the bowling all rounder except may be England and SA. Wouldn't you love CdG instead of Mitch Marsh? :D

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Hahah anyone is better than Mitch Marsh at the moment, but the reason Marsh & CDG keep getting picked is because both teams are desperate to have an all rounder in their side, and sadly for both Aus & NZ they don’t have any better options.

The reason Marsh cops so much heat and CDG hasn’t is because NZ are winning and the rest of their players are carrying the slack, whilst for Australia none of the top 7 are doing their job.

Marsh has actually played some good innings in the last 12 months, two hundreds plus an unbeaten 29* off a heap of balls to save the test v England whilst he also got a 90 odd in Durban. His bowling is actually worse as he barely ever takes a wicket, but since our bowlers are doing a great job.

Looking at their numbers over the last 12-18 months there isn’t much difference between Marsh & CDG
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Mr Twig

Post by Mr Twig »

Bit hard done by today by his captain. Almost certainly was going to score his second Test ton.

Googly

Post by Googly »

He certainly has some soft dismissals, which is strange because I’ve seen him play a few innings where he actually has touch and he’s not just a blunt instrument.
As a seamer the opposition go after him because it’s so hard to get Bolt and Southee away when they’re bowling well and unless you’re a puller you’re generally bobbing and weaving when you’re facing Wagner. When he comes on you can actually see batters breathe a sigh of relief and try and cash in, and often make mistakes. I enjoy watching him play because of the Zim connection, but I’m sure he’s more kiwi than zimbo by now. Has he got any tats yet? That’s when you know he’s crossed over :lol:

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

de Grandhomme's innings in the recently concluded test vs SL was THE difference between a tame draw and an NZ win. They must be rueing the fact that they did not pick him for the first test too...

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Colin de Grandhomme, only the second Zimbo to play an ODI world cup final, and now the only Zimbo to win the World Test Championship!

Congrats! I thought he would find it difficult to make it back to the XI given the exploits of Jamieson in his rookie season, but they found a spot for him in the final nonetheless. Did not have to do much though, but still a great honour and he has played his part in Getting NZ here.

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

CdG in woeful form and struggling to buy a run in BD... He might slowly start sliding down the pecking order for NZ selection across formats - but has been a very good career nonetheless.

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

What do you know? CdG is back in the NZ text playing XI! Didn't expect that. Given that other bowlers won't leave him too many opportunities to take wickets, needs to show solid batting form to stick around I guess.