Promising youngsters

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Donald

Promising youngsters

Post by Donald »

The names madhevere Milton shumba dion Myers and younger schandendorff seem to be doing the rounds as potential big things in Zimbabwe cricket in coming years

Has anyone seen them play and are they much cop witj the bat? ( or in madhevere case ball too)

Mueddie28

Re: Promising youngsters

Post by Mueddie28 »

The world would be watching the U19 so that's when Zimbabwe will see for rebuilding...

kudet
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by kudet »

HE loves the game so much.

In this game, he finds solace, especially after the tragic loss of his wife, Karen, to leukaemia close to two years ago.

Now, he is getting fulfilment as a coach tasked to work with future Zimbabwean players.

https://www.sundaymail.co.zw/brent-driv ... s-future-2
He is loving it.

The domestic cricket season is expected to start this month and there will be a new team on the roster, the Alistair Campbell High Performance Programme Academy, which is working in partnership with Zimbabwe Cricket.

That team is being coached by the passionate Brent.

“Coaching is something I am really passionate about. It’s not just coaching for me, but getting technically professional cricketers and dealing with the guys mentally. Cricket is a game that is very individual, with 11 individuals playing as a team,” he said.

Brent played international cricket for 12 years, before hanging up his spikes.

It was like a calling for the 43-year-old who won the double as Mountaineers coach in 2014.

A veteran in junior cricket coaching with stints in Britian and Zimbabwe, Brent feels at home with his role.

He is also co-founder of Howzat Academy.

“I have been privileged with an immense job, and my job is to develop the cricketers. They also need to be developed as human beings, that comes first before they become cricketers,” he said.

“I have been making remarkable progress.

“A lot of guys have lost a lot of weight. Mentally, they are much better now. Without doubt, we will be the fittest franchise.

“Their growth as individuals has been remarkable, their cricketing growth has gone with that. This is crucial to achieve things like humility, hard work and integrity.

“In the past, most cricketers lost their humility way too early in their careers. No one is bigger than the game, no one is bigger than the team.

“And it’s not about just talking, whatever you say, you have to back that up with action.”

Brent’s boys, who are known as Rangers, will be playing against the Tuskers, Mountaineers, Eagles and Rhinos in the 2019/2020 season.

Will they cope?

“The beauty about having youngsters is that they are hungry to perform and advance to the next level. Our next challenge is to maintain that hunger

“I can’t wait for the guys to showcase what they have been doing for the past five months,” said a confident Brent.

Despite Brent’s love for cricket, he says family means everything to him.

“Life is all about balance. Sport can be equated to work. All the facets of your life are like juggle balls. That of your family is made of glass. If you drop that one, it shatters and you won’t get it back. That is the most important thing.

“To me, God is my other glass ball. l don’t want to drop those two.

“But, work is the rubber ball. If something happens at work, it will bounce back.

“I have three children. My oldest has just left school and is now working. Then, there is my young daughter and my young son, who is in Grade Five. I will never push him into sport, something that never happened to me.

“Unfortunately, my wife passed away a year and a half ago. It was a bad time, she had leukaemia.

“I got stuck with it (cricket), just got myself very busy, spent a lot of time with these guys. Trying to help out as much as I can and not spending too much time alone has really helped me,” Brent said.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

This thread hurts
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

“Unfortunately, my wife passed away a year and a half ago. It was a bad time, she had leukaemia.
I didn't know that. Terribly sad.

I obviously don't know Gary Brent at all -- but the work he did with the Mountaineers speaks for itself. The team never played better than under his reign.

jward

Post by jward »

Donald wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:13 pm
The names madhevere Milton shumba dion Myers and younger schandendorff seem to be doing the rounds as potential big things in Zimbabwe cricket in coming years

Has anyone seen them play and are they much cop witj the bat? ( or in madhevere case ball too)
I saw Dion Myers play once and was very impressed. In appearance he looks like a normal black guy, but he has a white grandfather and so picked up the surname.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

A black guy with a white name, that should keep everyone happy!
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Googly

Post by Googly »

Yeah Myers is the real deal alright. He’s only 16/17 as well I believe. I watched him play hockey a while back as well, exceptionally talented link, just one of those guys that is top of the class in all ball sports, damned good fielder, good bowler (back damaging action, but nippy) and a real class batsman. I’ll bet he’s smart as well, extremely well spoken. Perfect candidate for a scholarship. :lol:
I don’t mean that in jest either. If ZC were pro-active they’d pay/ part pay for him to spend a couple of years in the UK and let them polish him up. He’d come back here with 80 games under his belt, you can’t do that here.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Gary Brent is what we call a Madoda, a man amongst men. Pure quality. His wife’s family have had tragedy for sure. Karen’s mum was killed in a car crash which Karen herself was badly injured in, then her brother drowned in a spear fishing accident in Mozambique, he was an absolute legend, then Karen passed. Life has unsuccessfully tried to beat them down, yet they soldier on. Karen is survived by her dad and brother, awesome people, and a cousin who is now famous from the animation in Game of Thrones, whom they raised.
Nothing but respect for all these people.

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

Googly wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:34 am
Gary Brent is what we call a Madoda, a man amongst men. Pure quality. His wife’s family have had tragedy for sure. Karen’s mum was killed in a car crash which Karen herself was badly injured in, then her brother drowned in a spear fishing accident in Mozambique, he was an absolute legend, then Karen passed. Life has unsuccessfully tried to beat them down, yet they soldier on. Karen is survived by her dad and brother, awesome people, and a cousin who is now famous from the animation in Game of Thrones, whom they raised.
Nothing but respect for all these people.
Thanks.