West Indies in Bangladesh 2021

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
Kriterion_BD

Re: West Indies in Bangladesh 2021

Post by Kriterion_BD »

In all the doom and gloom forgot to give a shout out to Mominul who crossed 3,000 Test runs in the last game and is now 5th in the Bangladesh run-makers list. Also notched his 10th century to give him the lead on that list.

Averages nearly 42, but only 22 away from home - a record that he is surely aware of. The probable tour of Sri Lanka in April will present him with an opportunity of trying to better that average.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:46 am
In all the doom and gloom forgot to give a shout out to Mominul who crossed 3,000 Test runs in the last game and is now 5th in the Bangladesh run-makers list. Also notched his 10th century to give him the lead on that list.

Averages nearly 42, but only 22 away from home - a record that he is surely aware of. The probable tour of Sri Lanka in April will present him with an opportunity of trying to better that average.
Much like his spinners, Mominul is happiest at home on slow low decks, I thought he might do better in NZ where the decks don't have as much bounce or pace as South Africa but he hasn't really done that well there IIRC.

I do enjoy watching him bat in full flight, he's quite a 'pretty' stroke maker, probably my favourite BD batsman to watch in fact along with Liton Das and Souyma Sarker. I will say though there aren't many batsman I've seen struggle as much as Mominul does against the short ball, definitely doesn't like it rearing up at his throat, although not many do I guess
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:05 am
Kriterion_BD wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:46 am

Much like his spinners, Mominul is happiest at home on slow low decks, I thought he might do better in NZ where the decks don't have as much bounce or pace as South Africa but he hasn't really done that well there IIRC.

I do enjoy watching him bat in full flight, he's quite a 'pretty' stroke maker, probably my favourite BD batsman to watch in fact along with Liton Das and Souyma Sarker. I will say though there aren't many batsman I've seen struggle as much as Mominul does against the short ball, definitely doesn't like it rearing up at his throat, although not many do I guess
Incidentally Mominul did start off decently in both NZ and SA, with half centuries in his first innings in both countries. He's one of the hardest working guys in the side so I expect him to lift his away average to 30 at least.

I do enjoy watching Momin bat, although I rate him behind Mushfiq, Tamim, and Shanto in terms of batting aesthetics. Shanto really looks like a million bucks in Subcontinent conditions at least.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Alzarri having a blast here. Might get a hundred before Da Silva who's happy to just turn the strike over to the tailender.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Shambles by Bangladesh here, their bowling has been average throughout the series and now they’re under the pump. Letting Alzari Joseph score a rapid 80 odd in a test will hurt them.

Going to need a special Mushy innings here to save this test

Got the feeling Bangladesh were counting their chickens before the series and already thinking about collecting a 2-0 series win.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

I didn't see this coming, but honestly it shows that West Indies cricket does have the depth which is good to see.

Bangladesh often shuffle their spinners a lot, you've got to think if Naeem and Taijul are the best around!?

They've had many over the years who then just disappeared.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:45 am

Got the feeling Bangladesh were counting their chickens before the series and already thinking about collecting a 2-0 series win.
Definitely. I thought this would be a walk in the park series. It certainly looked that way the first 4 days of the series. The Windies suddenly flipped a switch on Day 5 in Chattogram. Not something you usually see in cricket.

This is still a good pitch to bat on, but with so few batsmen left, Bangladesh will face a struggle just to avoid the follow on now. All of the dismissals were incredibly soft.

The team think tank is in total disarray in terms of strategy. Mominul was appointed captain on an interim basis, but the problem is neither Shakib nor Mushy want the job, Mahmudullah is not in the squad anymore, and Tamim is as meek a leader as Mominul - so he was the only option which is why he's still got the job. I suspect he won't have it for too much longer if - as is looking likely now - Bangladesh get whitewashed here.

As for the spinners, yes, Taijul, Miraz, and Nayeem are the best spinners in BD. The problem is that they have calibrated their bowling to having Shakib at one end - its now apparent that Shakib is the glue that holds the other spinners together. On top of that, the captain doesn't know how to properly utilize bat pad catchers in subcontinent conditions because of the steady diet of white ball cricket domestically.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

The West Indies performance in this series has been quite pleasing. I hope they stick with a lot of these young guys.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

eugene wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:03 pm
The West Indies performance in this series has been quite pleasing. I hope they stick with a lot of these young guys.
They won’t have much of choice. Windies batsmen are even worse than I thought. Chase, Hope, and a couple others average under 30. Blackwood and even Braithwaite are barely above 30. They need Hetmyer.

Mayer’s, Bonner, and Da Silva are solid.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:27 am

They won’t have much of choice. Windies batsmen are even worse than I thought. Chase, Hope, and a couple others average under 30. Blackwood and even Braithwaite are barely above 30. They need Hetmyer.

Mayer’s, Bonner, and Da Silva are solid.
Da Silva definitely looks a solid prospect

Bonner also doing well, but looking at his career first class average which was 22 before this series!!!! That suggests he’s unlikely to continue at this rate.

Mayers as well has performed out of his skin, again his numbers suggest he will be a ‘flash in the pan’

Maybe the reason these guys with poor first class records are doing so well in this test series is because the bowling isn’t actually that good?