Match Thread: Afghanistan v Zimbabwe 1st Test (2nd-6th March)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: Match Thread: Afghanistan v Zimbabwe 1st Test (2nd-6th March)

Post by Jemisi »

Prince isn't great but who else is there to try and hold the top order together?

The criticisms seem fair but until Byrom comes along or something...

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

I think people need to realise, there isn't a Justin Langer and Matthew Hayden putting on double hundred partnerships opening hte batting back in Harare. Since Zim's re-entry into test cricket 2011, only Tino & Hamilton have looked slightly comfortable opening in Tests, we've had Chari & Chamu before so I'm not feeling too upset with Kasuza & Prince.

Yes they are both cautious, but we longed for years to have a Terry Duffin type player protect BT from the new ball, now we got a couple and all of sudden we want Vusi back in there trying to take on the fast ball?

Yes Prince isn't the most attractive batsman in style or appearance, but he's scored two half centuries so far opening from 7 innings, which I'd assume is pretty good for Zim standards. Kasuza looks a much better player and is a lot younger, after two good innings to start his career he's failed 3 times and needs a score, but I'd definitely be sticking with him for the next couple of home series.

The other options are going back to Chari or Chamu, or trying a middle order player like Tari, Moor or Burl. Or the other option would be opening with Ervine & BT when they come back, considering they're in the twilight of their careers it does kind of make sense to leave the likes of Tari, Burl & Wes in the middle order.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

As for the current state of the match, Zimbabwe are on top but they need a decent 1st innings lead, a lead that they could possibly bowl Afghanistan out for without batting again. I think this is our Zim need to approach today, pretend they're batting in the 3rd innings and they're trying to set a match winning total to defend. This way even if they fall short of such a total and they do have to bat again, they won't be chasing much. If they get a 50-run lead here then decide 'oh well that's a decent lead lets just go for it' then get bundled out, Afghanistan still have the ability to come out and score 200 which would leave Zimbabwe chasing 150 to win which IMO will be tough.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Kasuza is literally a year older than Burl and Musakanda. We should be backing him . The big 4 will be gone in about 2 and a half years. We need to start backing other players

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

In their entire test history I don't think Zimbabwe has ever had a reliable opening combination, at least not that I can remember.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Jemisi wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:44 am
Prince isn't great but who else is there to try and hold the top order together?

The criticisms seem fair but until Byrom comes along or something...
I get this point, which is where the criticism has to come of ZC. They need to be active in producing talent and identifying issues, not just be like, "who else do we have?"
jaybro wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:48 am
I think people need to realise, there isn't a Justin Langer and Matthew Hayden putting on double hundred partnerships opening hte batting back in Harare. Since Zim's re-entry into test cricket 2011, only Tino & Hamilton have looked slightly comfortable opening in Tests, we've had Chari & Chamu before so I'm not feeling too upset with Kasuza & Prince.
I'm not really asking for a big hitting pair, i'm asking for a consistent pair that can knock the ball around and get runs. We don't need a 5rpo pair, but a pair at even 3-4rpo would be good. At the moment, we sometimes fall under 2 with our current lot, and it seems they both just stick to the idea of hunker down and just protect the wicket. That is not how you win cricket matches as an opening pair.

It's good to have a cautious approach at times, but be smart about it. Prince doesn't fill me with much of someone who does that.
eugene wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:21 am
In their entire test history I don't think Zimbabwe has ever had a reliable opening combination, at least not that I can remember.
We've definitely had quality openers, Flower, Campbell, Johnson, Carlisle. Vermuelen was quality too before the head knock and the arson. Definitely had a lot more confidence in those guys.

Interesting to note that Raza and Hammy hold the record for highest partnership in ODI for the 1st wicket, and highest in test for the 2nd wicket.

zimlover
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by zimlover »

Burl looks out of his depth he is starting to be a Maruma type of player I wonder when they will drop he for PJ Moor he is much better than Burl,he was a sitting duck.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

With Prince,
Is he really a better batter than Nathan Lyon?
Just blocking isn’t that hard for a bat to do against pace. It’s a single minded mindset. The skill beyond is to play shots and not get out.

He once again gave up so many scoring opportunities.

If he can somehow overcome it and grid out consistently 30/40s he can stay, but I think he’s just a sitting duck once the spinners come on and he can’t just play that blocking game with fielders around him.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Zimco

Post by Zimco »

I have always thought chakabva has looked a good test player and I feel sorry for him that Zim has played so few tests.

Zimco

Post by Zimco »

Pujara mostly blocks and he is a great player. But he does defend well against spin and doesn't really struggle against them