Zimbabwe Cricket Stats Quiz

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC2

Re: Zimbabwe Cricket Stats Quiz

Post by TapsC2 »

I was taking a closer look at Maruma’s stats trying to understand where it all goes wrong and I noticed he has 27 FC half centuries. To put it into context BT has 34, Regis 29, Ervine 28, Williams 23, Raza 21. The key difference was the conversion rate. BT has a staggering 32 centuries. Maruma the lowest with 8.

I guess Taibu was right that only a double century in the Logan cup should make somebody jump the line. We need to work on our standards because somebody with 27 FC half centuries in another setup wouldn’t struggle the way Maruma has

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Yes, just a random comparison. Manish Pandey - playing FC for Karnataka, has an average of 51 over 90+ FC matches, 19 hundreds with a top score of 238. Also known to be a crisis man. But most likely will never get an India test cap.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:21 am
Yes, just a random comparison. Manish Pandey - playing FC for Karnataka, has an average of 51 over 90+ FC matches, 19 hundreds with a top score of 238. Also known to be a crisis man. But most likely will never get an India test cap.
Isn't that a stark difference though. Pandey has played ODI and his stats suggest he is good enough for Test, but the standard of India is that high that a guy with his quality misses out.

In Zim on the other hand, our standard is, do you know what a bat is and can you hold it?

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Yeah, one should either have a solid domestic record (like, say, Ervine when he broke through) or should be oozing with potential so that we ignore domestic record and just pick them (like a Musakanda or a Madhevere) and see how it goes.

Taking the same comparison, it would be like picking a Mayank Agarwal with loads of domestic runs and a Shubman Gill with talent and potential in India's case. Both good choices, and how selection should weigh things. Not saying it is all hunky dory in BCCI's case, but indication of a good thought process in these examples.

In case of ZC, we simply don't seem to have a Mayank Agarwal or a Manish Pandey among the playing community. Simple as that. So, for us, the flavour of the season becomes the guy we try out. Roy Kaia, hence, seems deserving of a chance for being significantly ahead of others. For the Gill comparison, we are looking at Madhevere, Shumba, etc. Let us see how that one turns out. Given that the first type are definitely absent, we can only hope for the second type to succeed...

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

By the way, Jemisi, from your domestic records, can you bring up Rememberence Nyathi's Logan Cup stats from last 2 seasons? He has become one of the most consistent after being the whipping boy of the forums for a while :D

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

It will be interesting to hear you guys take on Forster Mutizwa. He had some of the best domestic stats but just had the door slammed in his face by none other than Taibu some personal issue there. But is seems the other selector also followed suite and completely ignored him. Seems he has retired now at 35 and has moved into umpiring. I really thought he had one or two more seasons in him.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

tawac wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:54 pm
It will be interesting to hear you guys take on Forster Mutizwa. He had some of the best domestic stats but just had the door slammed in his face by none other than Taibu some personal issue there. But is seems the other selector also followed suite and completely ignored him. Seems he has retired now at 35 and has moved into umpiring. I really thought he had one or two more seasons in him.
What was his issue exactly with Taibu? I never understood why the door was shut in his face. He even averaged 31 In ODIs but he only played 17 games. I don’t Know why Chakabva and Mutumbami got more chances than him

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Definitely wanted to see more of Mutizwa in the national colors for sure. Was very consistent domestically.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Most of the forum felt Mutizwa was hard done by. It was assumed he crossed somebody but I can't recall a verified anecdote.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:02 pm
By the way, Jemisi, from your domestic records, can you bring up Rememberence Nyathi's Logan Cup stats from last 2 seasons? He has become one of the most consistent after being the whipping boy of the forums for a while :D
I'll see what I can dig up Crimson. It feels like he has scored half his career runs in the last couple of seasons. I think he's made half of his centuries and fifties in the last couple of years. His average has moved from 15 to 24.