1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Pakistan | Harare

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Bulawayo Boy
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Pakistan | Harare

Post by Bulawayo Boy »

That was dire. Sad to watch. It is true we had injuries and we've always struggled at home vs Pakistan, but oi.

Were 3 debuts in one match a smart move? I know about the injuries but it just seems like a helluva risk.

Many, many years ago Andy Flower gave an interview to SA Cricket Action magazine stating that he believed that the best way forward for Zimbabwe was to bring in players extremely young and blood them. This would allow them to play against the very best from very young and improve, in the end granting them greater experience than their contemporaries. I wish I still had the article. (Note: he actually brought Taibu in at what...15, as his 'apprentice' - and what a good player he could have been without our bull dust politics!

I think the challenges are, still:

1. Not enough tests or international cricket being played in general. Alistair Campbell gave an extensive interview a while back on why we couldn't play more. Basically, it's too expensive. Couldn't we play more 'unofficial' tests vs Namibia, SA A, India A, maybe Ireland, Holland? If they aren't official we can use cheaper balls, not televise them, not pay for 5 star hotels, etc. But the guys would play more cricket. A lot more. Hell, aim for a series every month! What about Zimbabwe A vs Zimbabwe games to give them more middle time?

2. Club / franchise cricket / lower level cricket - is it me or are standards lower now? More coaching support is needed from ZC.

3. In my view (sorry Googly) - cricket is still not being played widely enough in Zimbabwe. I truly believe that if you become a teacher in Zimbabwe you should be required to hold coaching certs in soccer and one other sport - with cricket the preferred option. But it could include netball, athletics, etc. That would mean within a generation cricket knowledge would exist is every single school in the land - and we know how obsessed Zimbos are with regards to going to sodding school! Catch em young!

4. Make cricket the mandatory summer sport in all boys schools countrywide. Equipment will be a problem but the Indians all play tape ball cricket. Why can't we?

5. Why do our batsmen move around the batting card so much? Can't the coaching team decide a batsman's career position, train him to play there, and then play him there? Chopping and changing breeds uncertainty.

6. Our board. Oi. What the hell are they up to? Like seriously. I'm not being sarcastic. What are they doing?

7. What's going on with our physical conditioning? We seem unfit. Surely this should be priority? If we can't afford more trainers make the lads train with the army, preferably the paratroopers. Talk to Mazaiwana and BEG him to help. Select the best 30 cricketers as a 'platoon' and send them to Andre Rabie barracks to be conditioned. They'll put them through the mill, and they'll feel like shit, but you'll have ultrafit fellas at the end.

8. Mental conditioning. Dear Lord. Cricket is 90 percent mental. If we refuse to focus on this we'll never improve. Can't this be looked at?

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

It obviously was not a bad pitch to bat on. I get many will say that this is a B team and yes I can give some leniency to that, but that many of the guys who would be in the A team failed as well negates the B team excuse.

Our batting was exposed in Afghanistan series, and so was our ability to get breakthroughs when we needed them. None of those things were fixed and they happened badly in this test too.

We are well out of our depth in tests and you can bet the Aussies would be looking at this and wondering why they should play us in a test match. We need some serious change and it has to start with the coaches.

zimlover
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by zimlover »

With Little to very few Rhodesians left in the system,This is exactly what you should expect from the Black Populace left in Charge of Cricket in Zimbabwe.

They need to start investing in Rhodesians period!

Most Rhodesian cricketers would never accept this kind of standard.

So we are left to contend with Mediocre Black talent that has no drive or Will to win and fight for the Pride of the Country.

What we have is a Group of individuals who continue to run with the status associated with being a Director and Chairman of ZC, with no interest in growing the sport but only Maintaining it to a level that they continue to receive they pay cheque and drive around in top of the range vehicles and live in affluent suburbs.

My messages is simple let the Rhodesians participate or continue to expect this current standard as the norm.

If the remaining Rhodesians were to set up Parallel structures that run cricket locally ,they will be able to set up a team that can contest at a standard better than what ZC have in place.

Don’t frustrate the Rhodesians kids let them play,their grandparents and great grand fathers helped attaining Full members status.

ZC must open their eyes and let some of these Rhodesians kids participate,stop frustrating them.

eugene

Post by eugene »

Given Rhodesia ended in 1980 I'm thinking any current-day Rhodesians might be a bit old for international cricket?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Zimco

Post by Zimco »

:lol:
eugene wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 4:06 am
Given Rhodesia ended in 1980 I'm thinking any current-day Rhodesians might be a bit old for international cricket?

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

My thoughts from the match

Kasuza is going to be Vusi/ Hami/ Regis frustrating type player! He looks so assured at the crease but always gets out once he’s settled.

Tari finally starting to show signs he could be a successful test batsman in this innings, that run-out was so bad and at such a bad time.

If everyone was fit I’d have no problem dropping BT, he plays for himself and doesn’t care about the match scenario or the teams needs.

Blessing is now averaging 22 with the ball!!! I know it’s early days but that’s impressive, I’m looking forward to watching him bowl against Bangladesh, hopefully on juicy pitches.

For the next test this is the side I’d go with

Kasuza
Tari
BT
Williams (if fit)
Kaia
Shumba
Regis
Chisoro
Tiripano
Blessing
Nyauchi
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Zimco

Post by Zimco »

jaybro wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 8:21 am
My thoughts from the match

Kasuza is going to be Vusi/ Hami/ Regis frustrating type player! He looks so assured at the crease but always gets out once he’s settled.

Tari finally starting to show signs he could be a successful test batsman in this innings, that run-out was so bad and at such a bad time.

If everyone was fit I’d have no problem dropping BT, he plays for himself and doesn’t care about the match scenario or the teams needs.

Blessing is now averaging 22 with the ball!!! I know it’s early days but that’s impressive, I’m looking forward to watching him bowl against Bangladesh, hopefully on juicy pitches.

For the next test this is the side I’d go with

Kasuza
Tari
BT
Williams (if fit)
Kaia
Shumba
Regis
Chisoro
Tiripano
Blessing
Nyauchi
Do we need chisoro if Williams plays. Because we need another batsmen to strengthen the weak batting.

Kasuza
Tari
Bt
Williams
Kaia
Wes
Shumba
Regis
Tripiano/jongwe
Blessing
Nyauchi/Ngarava

Means we bat to 9 with this proposed side. It's at Harare right?
Williams should only play if fully fit. Why aren't we playing nyauchi, Ngarava and blessing all together?

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

zimlover wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 1:13 am
With Little to very few Rhodesians left in the system,This is exactly what you should expect from the Black Populace left in Charge of Cricket in Zimbabwe.

So we are left to contend with Mediocre Black talent that has no drive or Will to win and fight for the Pride of the Country.

What we have is a Group of individuals who continue to run with the status associated with being a Director and Chairman of ZC, with no interest in growing the sport but only Maintaining it to a level that they continue to receive they pay cheque and drive around in top of the range vehicles and live in affluent suburbs.

My messages is simple let the Rhodesians participate or continue to expect this current standard as the norm.

If the remaining Rhodesians were to set up Parallel structures that run cricket locally ,they will be able to set up a team that can contest at a standard better than what ZC have in place.

Don’t frustrate the Rhodesians kids let them play,their grandparents and great grand fathers helped attaining Full members status.

ZC must open their eyes and let some of these Rhodesians kids participate,stop frustrating them.
Find me anybody under the age of 50, who actually still lives in Zimbabwe, who describes themselves as ‘Rhodesian’

You are so out of touch it’s unreal. Would bet my life you live overseas and haven’t been back for years.

Thankfully there’s very very few people with your attitudes left. What a sad little bore you are.

Your continued race baiting posts will kill this forum and turn a lot of good posters away.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 8:53 am
zimlover wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 1:13 am

Find me anybody under the age of 50, who actually still lives in Zimbabwe, who describes themselves as ‘Rhodesian’

You are so out of touch it’s unreal. Would bet my life you live overseas and haven’t been back for years.

Thankfully there’s very very few people with your attitudes left. What a sad little bore you are.

Your continued race baiting posts will kill this forum and turn a lot of good posters away.
Heads up, your giving him the reaction he’s wanting.
Goes for everyone.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

ZIMFAN

Post by ZIMFAN »

Re Myers (and others like him). ZC needs to find a way to engage with these cricketers while they are studying. I still think for a select few you offer to pay their uni fees on the proviso that they come back and sign up for ZC for two years minimum (or repay ZC in full).

If you did it on a case by case basis it would not be prohibitively expensive (eg in the last few years maybe only Murray and Myers).

One thing Taibu was so good at during the Rising Stars thing. He was prepared to look at everyone. Also, I would relax the Logan Cup rules. It didn't apply to Mire. So for Myers you go away and study. Play club cricket in the UK but when in Zim play here and we will pick you.