Why is Larry playing domestic and not being picked for internationals?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Flurzt
Supports: Mountaineers

Why is Larry playing domestic and not being picked for internationals?

Post by Flurzt »

He last played at 25 Apr in 2021. What is the excuse of not including him? He should be our main pair with Blessing and Nyauchi etc

His Last 10 games in domestic he is averaging 22.09

He has the most stellar record of any zimabwean bowler in terms of statistical quality and we are wasting him in domestic?

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Why is Larry playing domestic and not being picked for internationals?

Post by jaybro »

Flurzt wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 11:54 am
He last played at 25 Apr in 2021. What is the excuse of not including him? He should be our main pair with Blessing and Nyauchi etc

He has the most stellar record of any zimabwean bowler in terms of statistical quality and we are wasting him in domestic?
He looked way out of shape against Pakistan last year, the word is he is still not in great shape. But I also noted that his domestic numbers are good, so surely he’s still a chance to be picked?

I think test cricket might be a step too far for him now, but ODI cricket for sure.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Flurzt
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by Flurzt »

jaybro wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 12:00 pm
Flurzt wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 11:54 am

He looked way out of shape against Pakistan last year, the word is he is still not in great shape. But I also noted that his domestic numbers are good, so surely he’s still a chance to be picked?

I think test cricket might be a step too far for him now, but ODI cricket for sure.
Disagree Test Cricket is where Chatara is the best. Last Logan Cup he only got to play 3 innings but he averaged 10.33 with a 21 SR with 5 wickets.

Chatara needs to be paired with Blessing to see the true potential of our pace attack

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

He's unfit, don't know whats happened to him. He did manage good numbers this season still but on the streams I saw he didn't look his usual self still.

I think the selectors have moved on. Ngarava has more potential long-term and they like Chivanga for his pace. I think Chatara is quite far down the pecking order at the moment tbh.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Having Brad Evans on standby and not Larry says it all

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

1- hes fat (usually a sign you don’t care enough. Elite athlete ffs)
2- his body is made of glass and has been broken and sticky taped together
3- The above has probably almost certainly meant hes lost 5km or so, so he’s no longer the fast bowler who has just a little more zip than his colleagues, he’s probably now middle of the pack
4- Hes old, sorta. He’s in that twilight age for a paceman. Of course it wouldn’t be an issue if he kept himself fit, but as we know.....
1- hes fat (usually a sign he doesn’t care blah blah).
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

I don't know.

Philander was always a bit portly as well.

It's more that he keeps getting injured and his pace was one of his skills.

Does he swing it like Anderson or nip it like philander? Once you lose your pace you have to have other skills.

But he seems to be getting wickets at domestic so its probably more his injured body can't put together enough games. Maybe for Bangladesh he will be back. A 30 year old even with chatara's body could theoretically play for another couple years.

So many injured for Zim? is it a coimcidence or has the physical training been lax over covid times? With all this cricket we are having and we play the same players (many who are old) we actually might be over playing players for once 🤯
Last edited by Zimco on Sun May 02, 2021 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

When you play for a team like Zim against opponents like Pakistan in a test match you have to expect to bowl possibly up to 30 overs in a test with 2 innings. I don’t know if Larry has that in him anymore.

I expect to see him in the ODI side. If Chatara lost some pace imagine Jarvis now after Covid

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Zimco wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 7:13 pm
But he seems to be getting wickets at domestic so its probably more his injured body can't put together enough games. Maybe for Bangladesh he will be back. A 30 year old even with chatara's body could theoretically play for another couple years.
Won't be in the Bangladesh squad I don't think. Recent selections suggest all of; Muzarabani, Ngarava, Chivanga, Jongwe, Tiripano and Evans are all ahead of him in the pecking order.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Heard Evans is heading elsewhere.
Shame