Timycen Maruma

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Timycen Maruma

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

TapsC2 wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:19 am
The problem we have in Zimbabwe is our domestic wages aren't good enough to keep people around in the system without playing for the national team. I hope they can change this since they have cleared their debt.

There is no harm in having guys like Maruma, Zhuwao, Elton, Kaia, Shingi Maskadza and Mpofu playing in the domestic system. The problem is the difference between the domestic and the national contracts is so big that everybody is desperate to get one.

In an ideal world these guys play and the young guys also stick around without too much life pressure forcing them to leave. I would rather we even go extreme and have only 3 domestic teams with stiff competition and only 45 players on decent contracts. Everybody else can play in the NPL
Completely agree. That will rise the standard of both comps
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Yea I remember back in 2010 when the franchise system was introduced, players like Gavin Ewing were getting paid around 3K a month (US dollars). Now its more like 300

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:41 am
TapsC2 wrote:
The problem we have in Zimbabwe is our domestic wages aren't good enough to keep people around in the system without playing for the national team. I hope they can change this since they have cleared their debt.

There is no harm in having guys like Maruma, Zhuwao, Elton, Kaia, Shingi Maskadza and Mpofu playing in the domestic system. The problem is the difference between the domestic and the national contracts is so big that everybody is desperate to get one.

In an ideal world these guys play and the young guys also stick around without too much life pressure forcing them to leave. I would rather we even go extreme and have only 3 domestic teams with stiff competition and only 45 players on decent contracts. Everybody else can play in the NPL
How does the next generation of domestic bowlers learn anything by playing against a "batsman" with a Test average of 9 though?

Guys that have actually performed at international level, like a few of those names have, yes, absolutely it's good if they continue on for a bit at domestic level and pass on some knowledge. I don't really see much value in plodders clogging up the system though.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:23 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:41 am
TapsC2 wrote:

How does the next generation of domestic bowlers learn anything by playing against a "batsman" with a Test average of 9 though?

Guys that have actually performed at international level, like a few of those names have, yes, absolutely it's good if they continue on for a bit at domestic level and pass on some knowledge. I don't really see much value in plodders clogging up the system though.
The bowlers havent learnt to dismiss Maruma at domestic level so its irrelevant.
in my perfect scenario though Maruma is an NPL player that might get an odd domestuic game here and there when theres an international and A tour on

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Tinah09

Post by Tinah09 »

TapsC2 wrote:

Theres a lot of global T20 cricket going on (at least before covid19), providing lucrative opportunities for cricketers with sufficient talent and internationalexperience. Dwane Bravo, Gayle, Chris Morris etc barely play international cricket these days hopping from one T20 tournament to the next, earning more money that the Windies Cricket Board/SA Cricket could ever pay them. Hell, our own Raza and Blessing just returned from one of those global T20 tournaments. If the likes of Maruma, Chibhabha etc were good enough, they would be in those tournaments and not having to rely on Zimbabwe cricket alone for thier livelihoods. They have two decades of proven international failure between them during which Zim fell in rankings, failed to qualify for world cups...leading to low sponsorship and ICC grants..leading to a cash poor ZC...the cycle continues

zimbofan88

Post by zimbofan88 »

Tinah09 wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:00 pm
TapsC2 wrote:

Theres a lot of global T20 cricket going on (at least before covid19), providing lucrative opportunities for cricketers with sufficient talent and internationalexperience. Dwane Bravo, Gayle, Chris Morris etc barely play international cricket these days hopping from one T20 tournament to the next, earning more money that the Windies Cricket Board/SA Cricket could ever pay them. Hell, our own Raza and Blessing just returned from one of those global T20 tournaments. If the likes of Maruma, Chibhabha etc were good enough, they would be in those tournaments and not having to rely on Zimbabwe cricket alone for thier livelihoods. They have two decades of proven international failure between them during which Zim fell in rankings, failed to qualify for world cups...leading to low sponsorship and ICC grants..leading to a cash poor ZC...the cycle continues
Agree, guys like Chibabha in the last decade and Vusi before that were the main reasons we lost many games. We always had limited batting resources but there were few other good batters who could have replaced them. Finally, we have a hope with younger guys and hopefully they will raise our standards.

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

Another half century from Maruma and here we go again..

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

The path forward is 30 living wage contracts for our domestic cricketers. Add in 10-15 elite international contracts and you have enough players for three domestic sides. You could even reduce the number of contracts if you think a few gaps can be filled by age-group players who don't yet require a full time salary. I really don't buy this idea that every cricketer in the country needs to be playing in our highest first class competition, most of these guys should be in club cricket. To be honest we barely have the talent for three first class sides, but if you reduced it to just two teams you don't really have a competition at all.

I would not offer Maruma one of these centralised contracts, I have seen nothing from him internationally that suggests he is any more successful than about 20 other domestic batsmen could be with the same opportunities.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

eugene wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:13 pm
The path forward is 30 living wage contracts for our domestic cricketers. Add in 10-15 elite international contracts and you have enough players for three domestic sides. You could even reduce the number of contracts if you think a few gaps can be filled by age-group players who don't yet require a full time salary. I really don't buy this idea that every cricketer in the country needs to be playing in our highest first class competition, most of these guys should be in club cricket. To be honest we barely have the talent for three first class sides, but if you reduced it to just two teams you don't really have a competition at all.

I would not offer Maruma one of these centralised contracts, I have seen nothing from him internationally that suggests he is any more successful than about 20 other domestic batsmen could be with the same opportunities.
Agree
Lifting all these players up to a bloated 5 team comp tha draws up players when international and A/select games are being played just makes the Comp a club comp with a different name.
There needs to be a battle and a higher standard for Logan cup.
For me it’s clear and has been for a while that it should be a three team comp. there’s not the talent for three teams, but it’s either that or latch onto SA cricket which I’m told can’t really be done.
A 3 team comp pushes down 22 players who would otherwise be in Logan cup. And if those players were in a country like Australia, they would be club cricketers earning less, or same amount.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:06 pm
eugene wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:13 pm

Agree
Lifting all these players up to a bloated 5 team comp tha draws up players when international and A/select games are being played just makes the Comp a club comp with a different name.
There needs to be a battle and a higher standard for Logan cup.
For me it’s clear and has been for a while that it should be a three team comp. there’s not the talent for three teams, but it’s either that or latch onto SA cricket which I’m told can’t really be done.
A 3 team comp pushes down 22 players who would otherwise be in Logan cup. And if those players were in a country like Australia, they would be club cricketers earning less, or same amount.
I think there should be selections process like in the NBA draft-transparency
Also each team should field 3 or 4 players under 24 in its team