Inaugural ICC ODI World Cup Super League | Tournament Thread

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
Kriterion_BD

Re: Inaugural ICC ODI World Cup Super League | Tournament Thread

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Ireland will collect a lot of points from wasgouts at home. That is the reality and gives them a distinct unfair advantage vs ZIM, NED, and AFG. ICC should use win loss ratio or win % of compeled games instead. But then again its just 1 team out of 13 that has such terrible weather.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Ireland just knocked over a full strength SA and with 15 points secured, cannot lose the series. With the Dutch winning 2-1 over Ireland and the Afghans starting 3-0, immense pressure early in the tournament for Zimbabwe if they want to avoid finishing last place. that win in Pakistan in the super over was clutch.

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:46 pm
Ireland just knocked over a full strength SA and with 15 points secured, cannot lose the series. With the Dutch winning 2-1 over Ireland and the Afghans starting 3-0, immense pressure early in the tournament for Zimbabwe if they want to avoid finishing last place. that win in Pakistan in the super over was clutch.

Cricket has really become competitive in the lower echelons. The Dutch winning so much is particularly suprising since I dont think they`re even that South African dominated

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

slcricfan1 wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:41 pm
Cricket has really become competitive in the lower echelons. The Dutch winning so much is particularly suprising since I dont think they`re even that South African dominated
I think the credit has to be with the now defunct World Cricket League system which ran continuously from 2006 to 2017 or so. Teams like Ireland, Afghanistan, Nepal, Scotland, and Netherlands had a formal structure in which to learn, develop their games, and compete with teams at their level. It took time, but I think the fruits are beginning to show.

The new system with League 2 and the Challenge League will achieve the same thing for the next 17 ranked sides (14-30). Its a different format and name, but achieves the exact same thing as the WCL system did before it. Its good thinking from the ICC for once.

Expanding future World Cups to 14 teams will further enhance this. I would say the ICC should give the top 10 ranked sides in the Super League auto qualification, and then have the last 4 spots filled via the WCQ which should be expanded to a 12 or 14 team tournament.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Guys as it stands there is a very realistic chance of more than 1 team from the top 9 will be forced to play the qualifiers.

Last time it was West Indies but this time it may be 2 or even 3, Afghans have an easy draw and may just sneak into top 8, i dont know but looking at Pakistan losing to an England Reserve side and South Africa losing to Ireland anything is possible. Add to that the genuinely vulnerable teams - Sri Lanka and West Indies.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Ireland with a series draw vs SA and 15 points. Pretty decent performance from their POV. Really makes the SL interesting as we're nearing the halfway stage.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Zimbabwe desperately need some points. The 9 ODIs against Ireland, Netherlands, and a totally out of form Sri Lanka will be absolutely vital for them.

They've got 3 against Afghans, but Afghans have got their number, so I'm not having big hopes on that.

India and Australia they don't stand a chance.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

sam_ahm wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:36 pm
Zimbabwe desperately need some points. The 9 ODIs against Ireland, Netherlands, and a totally out of form Sri Lanka will be absolutely vital for them.

They've got 3 against Afghans, but Afghans have got their number, so I'm not having big hopes on that.

India and Australia they don't stand a chance.
Finishing in the top 8 and outright qualification is probably off the table (albeit still lots of series to play). Realistically ZIM can expect to get 15 points in Ireland (1-1 draw with the guaranteed washout per series), 10-20 points from Netherlands, and another 10-20 from SL and 10 from Afghanistan. So thats a total of 45-65 points from 12 games.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

I don't know if all the scheduled series will go ahead, at the moment Netherlands and Afghanistan have played only 3 games and do not have any scheduled fixtures this year (I know Afg-Zim is scheduled but who knows what the situation in Afghanistan will be like) . Basically we are looking at them playing 21 ODIs each in about 12-14 months. That's unlikely.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Again Pakistan v West Indies series is in doubt due to COVID cases in West Indies camp.

It is a waste following the ODI Super league now, I don't think it will go through and it will come down to rankings as usual.

Zimbabwe need to be careful here, they are 14th in ODIs.. Need to pull off some wins and climb up that ladder.