Taylor vs Kaitano: between two extremes

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Taylor vs Kaitano: between two extremes

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:24 am
Individually, the two knocks look atrocious, but probably together, in a partnership, they were perfect foil for each other. It is possible that we ended without more damage because they both played that way together.

If Kaitano had rotated the strike and given it back to Taylor more often, there was no guarantee that Taylor would have still continued to succeed. The more you get to face in such a mood, the more high risk it becomes. So, the cooling down that was happening as he waited at the other end when Kaitano closed out an over was probably making sure Taylor's adrenaline rush was in check.

Also, from Kaitano's point of view, as he prepared himself for a blockathon knowing how Taylor would approach it, the fact that Taylor went about in such a manner meant that the BD bowlers had a hard time adjusting and could not afford to be more aggressive with fields even for Kaitano given what was going on at the other end. This worked well for him to continue his dogged defense.

If you look at it, it looks like an outstanding game plan, if ever there was one :)

While all this was happening, we were going along at nearly 4 an over on the 4th evening. We can look at 140/3 and feel that it could have been 200/2 or whatever else. It could also have become 90/5 had both of them perished trying anything different in their own games than what they did.

So, it is together, as a partnership, that we need to look at it, and it was one of the most enjoyable ones for me and also worked perfectly in the context. Ideally, if they had both made it to day 5, things would have been great, but this kind of a partnership was the best alternative to both the guys going at an SR of 60.

In that sense the most positive partnership under pressure I have watched post readmission was the one between Hamilton and Moor vs WI (in 2018?) where after we were 14/3 or something Moor came in and infused positivity and both of them played some delightful cover drives that are still etched in memory on the way to something like a 140 run partnership. Moor making 70 odd and Hamilton later going onto 140 odd.
Good post habibi
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

sloandog wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:06 am
Still think KT is getting unwarranted grief.
He showed mental toughness, something we've been lacking for a very very long time at the top.
When viewed through the scope of a mediocre, limited first class player who averages 20, he did everything that could have realistically been asked of him.
He’s a club player who wouldn’t be able to be a BT. So he did the only thing he could to stay in the fight.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:44 am
sloandog wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:06 am
Still think KT is getting unwarranted grief.
He showed mental toughness, something we've been lacking for a very very long time at the top.
When viewed through the scope of a mediocre, limited first class player who averages 20, he did everything that could have realistically been asked of him.
He’s a club player who wouldn’t be able to be a BT. So he did the only thing he could to stay in the fight.
Yeah, agreed. His career record is poor and he is obviously isn't going to be a long-term solution who'll command a place at the top of the order for years to come.

But he'll take a lot of confidence from his debut and he'll probably do a job filling the spot for a handful of Tests until we find someone better. We really don't have any other opening options tbh. Good for him. I hope he does well.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

My question is had Kaitano and Williams been out there together how closer would we have been to saving the match? Williams' 150 off 309 balls against Afghanistan is what we needed from BT to save the match

The match was lost. Batting like BT can only be done by BT. Kaitano isnt BT. He did his job as far as I'm concerned if the objective was to save the match.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cricke ... 3fmode=amp

AB once played 25 off 244 balls. Amla 37 of 278. David 12 from 96. It's all about context and the match situation.

Do you know how frustrated the bowlers must have been with Kaitano completely closing 1 end and BT completely smashing them on the other end?

As for BT the truth is he cant be asked anymore but his ability is unmatched. He is going to keep playing like that until he retires. Williams is showing a lot more character in his final playing years. Something not many people would have predicted.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Also I mentioned earlier I dont think anybody who isnt part of the old guard of the big 4 plus Regis, Don and Cremer has scored anything higher than 87 besides Mire's hundred. I could be wrong but I dont remember. I think PJ is next with a score of 83 in a test. I didnt include his 92 in the T20 against Singapore because its Singapore

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

TapsC2 wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:03 pm
Also I mentioned earlier I dont think anybody who isnt part of the old guard of the big 4 plus Regis, Don and Cremer has scored anything higher than 87 besides Mire's hundred. I could be wrong but I dont remember. I think PJ is next with a score of 83 in a test. I didnt include his 92 in the T20 against Singapore because its Singapore
Hey, SIngapore have beaten Zimbabwe.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

TapsC2 wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:03 pm
Waller's match winning 99* comes to mind years ago vs NZ in an ODI, but I get your point in general. Even Mire's 100 was in an ODI. Can't remember any other 80+ test score at all outside of this lot!

EDIT: Just checked. In the last decade, Outside of big scores by BT, Hammy, Raza, Williams, Ervine, Regis, Don and Cremer, we just have a 93 from Vusi, 88 and 86 by Chigs, 83 by Moor, 80 by Chari, plus that massive 163* by Mawoyo.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

I'll obviously be the outlier, but still think it was very silly cricket.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

https://www.sundaymail.co.zw/kaitanos-t ... e-decision

Just to show some of the sacrifices these guys make. Aa fans we are sometimes harsh not realizing the sacrifices being made. I totally support the idea of having only 45 decently paid players

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

Wow big decision to give up a hwange engineering gig in Zim. You can't play cricket if you are working in hwange I'd imagine. So I guess it was one or the other