The future of the coaching staff

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sam_ahm

Re: The future of the coaching staff

Post by sam_ahm »

Irrespective of how many they score in this series, Im quite convinced that Dion Myers and Wesley Madhevere have the potential to make it big at international level. They look really good.

They need good coaches to groom them

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Yea this is where a modern batting coach can really help

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

I understand Lalchand Rajput's contract expires at the end of August.

He's a popular man with the senior players apparently. And presumably he's popular with the ZC board as well because he is the least outspoken coach of all time. He isn't ever going to rock the boat.

But surely, surely, even ZC must realise the team is not progressing - and has not progressed - under his leadership. 3 years in the job with little improvement. I understand Rajput has been in the country since Christmas (due to Covid travel etc), but we must remember that for his first 2 years in the job he was barely ever in Zimbabwe and almost never attended any domestic matches in person.

We have to be realistic - we are unlikely to attract any big name. Anyone from the west probably isn't going to want to come and move to Zim, especially in pandemic times. Our best bet is probably someone from SA. I don't know who. Doesn't have to be anyone massive. But someone experienced with developing players. Even if thats someone from a province or something. Being from SA probably means they can be here for the domestic season as well without having to relocate. Let's hope ZC make a strong decision at the end of the Ireland tour. If they renew Rajput's contract then I give up.

I mentioned in one of the match threads about Matsikenyeri as well. We have some great young batting talent. But is Matsikenyeri the man to help Wes turn his 50's into 100's? Is he the man to take Myers from good batsmen to world class batsmen? Is he the man to develop Shumba's short-format game? Or the man to develop Marumani's long-format game?

Matsikenyeri's Zimbabwe career consisted of 136 innings and never a single century. It is the equivalent of Chamu Chibhabha being our batting coach a few years from now.

Marshmallow

Post by Marshmallow »

Bangladesh bowling coach: Ottis Gibson (WI) , Batting coach: Ashwell Prince (SA) , HEAD COACH: Russel Domingo (SA)
Zimbabwe bowling coach: Douglas Hondo (ZIM) , Batting coach: Stuart Matsikenyeri , HEAD COACH: Lalchand Rajput (IND)
Which team has better coaching staff?
This tells the difference

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Another thought, if ZC wants Zimbos involved in the coaching setup, there are alternatives to Hondo/Matsikenyeri/Utseya etc.

We've just seen Shepherd Makunura win four consecutive Logan Cups with two separate franchises; surely it's worth trying him with some sort of role in the setup? (Not head coach obviously. I mean assistant, or U19, or pathway etc).

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

I think a lot depends on the next 3 T20s, and most importantly the Ireland tour, there are 3 ODIs and 5 T20s on that tour, if Zimbabwe win the series I think Rajput will keep his job, otherwise ZC should honestly reconsider.

In Rajput's defence, I'd say he has been a bit unlucky, last 6 months he simply hasn't had a full strength team. They've also lost Jarvis to illness and injuries... Desperately hoping the Ireland tour will have a full strength squad.

Donald

Post by Donald »

Should have beaten Bangladesh 2-1 really.

Hands down outplayed in first ODI. Second and third in acendency for much of match then let it slip.
Chatara is unfortunately not the bowler he was. If ngarava was injured chivanga should have got a game really.

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

Ireland beat SA recently. I do not see us winning there. The setup is definitely toxic there. There should be changes. The player changes have failed it is now time for the coaches to leave. Surely after so many defeats a player loses faith in his coach's teaching and the coach loses faith in his players for not learning. At this point nothing will work and the coach should make way for someone that has different methods that might actually work on this crop of players.

Rajput might actually be a good coach for Namibia and not necessarily for Zim. Streak actually had a decent run. Andy Flower might actually struggle whilst Rahul Dravid succeeds. I do not know what the director of cricket does, but he needs to understand where Zim cricket is and the types of players we have and match them with the right coach.

You have failed as a bowling coach when the team concedes so many extras consistently, bowl so many no balls in a game that should be about fine margins. When your bowlers cannot bowl a consistent line throughout an over, repeating the same mistakes bowling half the innings' balls on the pads and down leg. When you do not have plans against tailenders who can score big runs against you.

Like nothing happened the coaches will be in Ireland losing more games by repeating the same mistakes.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Not including the planned 'A' fixtures, we should have a gap of at least 3-4 months or so between the end of the Ireland tour and the arrival of Afghanistan for their tour. Perfect opportunity to make any changes after that Ireland trip.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

I have very little hope in ZC replacing the current coaches. It feels very much like it will be a case of the boys club staying on. Rajput has to go, not least for the performances, but it is unfathomable to have a coach of a national side not watching domestic cricket for 2 years.

If anything, I can see Hammy giving roles to his mates. There are definitely plenty of options in SA that would jump at the chance, but it's not like ZC to be logical and do what's in the best interest of the game.