1st T20I | Zimbabwe V/s Bangladesh| Harare

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: 1st T20I | Zimbabwe V/s Bangladesh| Harare

Post by secretzimbo »

CholeZimbo wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:34 pm
secretzimbo wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:17 pm
slcricfan1 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:14 pm

does chivanga pose that much of a threat?
Not sure tbh. He looked decent domestically and there's rave reviews about his time in SA. But I'm not sure. Worth giving him a chance though, considering how poor Ngarava/Jongwe/Chatara/Tiripano have been recently I think.
From what I have seen, he is terrible. But he has the tools and a good coach can guide him on how to use his pace. Dougy Hondo is not that guy. Who still bowls so many wides and no balls in this modern era? only Zimbabwe. It actually seems like a new bad habit that has started this season, the wayward legside bowling I have not seen in a long time from Zim.
This is our entire squad at the moment :cry: :oops:

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

I saw the score at 91/2 in 10 overs or something with a shock, and Regis going hammer and tongs. And now to see the scorecard and it is the same old story...

Rajkumar Sharma
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

CholeZimbo wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:40 pm
Rajkumar Sharma wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:10 pm
CholeZimbo wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:06 pm

If you were watching the game you would know that another 7 run over was going to make this tighter. Stop talking about those 8 wickets if you cannot explain what they mean in the end.
You are going out of the match situation. Suppose you gave Wes that over, he concedes 7 as you said, so it makes 133 /2 with 19 to get in 12. Still it looks very much achievable, as one six or four would have reduced the 7 runs difference between balls and runs required.
Then you even bring in Blessing to bowl the 19th over where he can go for another 7 leaving 12 in the final over and have a good chance. Again my point is, get to the final over with something, your wickets in hand story is irrelevant and you know it. Even the best batsmen in the world can panic. That is why the old saying goes, "Do not leave yourself with too much to do in the final over"
So you dont think Naim batting on 50 or Riad / Narul cant score more then 7 against Blessing ? Why do they will set 11 runs for last 6 balls ? Are they fools ? Why not they will attack Blessing and score maximum in 19th over and reduce the target less in the last over ?

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Rajkumar Sharma wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:01 pm
CholeZimbo wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:40 pm
Rajkumar Sharma wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:10 pm

You are going out of the match situation. Suppose you gave Wes that over, he concedes 7 as you said, so it makes 133 /2 with 19 to get in 12. Still it looks very much achievable, as one six or four would have reduced the 7 runs difference between balls and runs required.
Then you even bring in Blessing to bowl the 19th over where he can go for another 7 leaving 12 in the final over and have a good chance. Again my point is, get to the final over with something, your wickets in hand story is irrelevant and you know it. Even the best batsmen in the world can panic. That is why the old saying goes, "Do not leave yourself with too much to do in the final over"
So you dont think Naim batting on 50 or Riad / Narul cant score more then 7 against Blessing ? Why do they will set 11 runs for last 6 balls ? Are they fools ? Why not they will attack Blessing and score maximum in 19th over and reduce the target less in the last over ?
None of us have a crystal ball. Both your scenario and Chole's scenario are feasible. Anything can happen in the last two overs of a T20 - we've seen that time and time again.

There's a high chance that whoever bowled, we'd still lose from that position. You are correct.

But equally there would be a slightly higher chance of a remarkable surprise Zim victory if anyone other than Ngarava bowled that particular over. I'm not saying it's very likely. For sure Ban would have still been strong favourites. But there would have been a chance for Zim still. I believe most captains in that situation definitely would not have given the ball to Ngarava.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

CholeZimbo wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:21 pm
The way our cricket is run is very dangerous. Also cricket is not big enough in Zim to attract any media and fan pressure to demand results. The coaches have no incentive to do better. It just seems like people just easily go about their business, get paid and life goes on. It is a very toxic situation. The level of underperformance has gone on for a very long time. World cricket is very tired of Zimbabwe now. Even umpire decisions go against us cause it does not really matter at the end of the game.

Having said this, do we have anyone on this forum with connections top major press journos in the country? Because this story has to be heard. Real fans are sick and tired of this and questions need to start being asked and thrown to the right people and we deserve to hear their side of the story presiding over this nonsense. In any other country and any other sport, you cannot have such results and be in a job. We are a special case and we need proper coaching. Special case children are taught by special case teachers in special classes and the coaches we have are not fit enough to coach this team.

Someone has to get us through to the right people to ask questions because Zim cricket is dying very fast now and when changes will eventually be made it will be too late. The board thinks this is their personal elite project and are so detached from the fans. We cannot take this regression anymore and the rot has to stop. After this Stuart Matsikenyere is not going to face any tough questions and his life will move on. People on this forum are genuine cult fans of this team and deserve better. I have personally never met anyone who religiously follow ZC like we do and we need to have a real life presence to have things changed or at least be heard.

It is so annoying to be in these situations every game and hear the commentators always preaching the simple things like not bowling down leg but it continues. Someone get us in front of the people in charge to ask questions. ZC does not own Cricket in Zimbabwe, the fans do and at this point we are tired.
Yeah.....wishful thinking mate. :cry:

As for journos, unfortunately thats not how local journos operate in Zim. If a journo asks an uncomfortable question or writes a scathing article, they can kiss goodbye to ever getting an ounce of info from ZC ever again and probably uninvited to any briefings and players unofficially banned from speaking to them. This isn't anything unique to cricket btw. It's the same with most national organisations. Welcome to Zimbabwe :( . There's a few international-based journos who might be able to put the pressure on, but they will probably just be dismissed as Rhodesians or traitors anyway.....

Cricket isn't dying in Zim though. There's probably more black kids playing cricket and following cricket now than there ever has been from what I see around. We might be shit internationally, but the game is still at much the same grassroots level as at any point in the past 10 years. I don't see any (recent) decline.

I don't blame the players. Again, I think we've got enough talent. Against all the odds we continue to produce talent. Again much like the country - a country full of talented and fundamentally good people but with shit leadership.

I think we have a small number of potential world-class talents and a good bunch of other players who are decent enough too. I'm not mad at (most of) the boys on the field today.

Im not even mad at the selectors. I think selection this year has been better than previous years (albeit still not perfect).

I'm not even mad at ZC (yet). There hasn't been a crisis or a disaster at board level for a while at least. The organisation seems to have got its house in order financially and things seem to be pretty smooth. The core players seem relatively happy. Ultimately that's a good thing for the game. Look at some of the disasters within ZC over the past few years, and then look at the current situation. I know which I'd prefer. Good things have happened on the ground at grassroots level in the past 12 months too, that shouldn't be discounted.

The problem overwhelmingly is the coaches. I'm convinced of it.

We've had (by our standards) a huge amount of cricket this year. Fair enough they aren't going to change coaches right in the middle of this busy period, due to the amount of cricket. Also the fact that Covid is way way way worse in Zim right now than any official figures are telling you. Who is going to move here and be our coach right now anyway?

After the Ireland/Scotland series is the perfect chance for a rethink and to bring new coaches in.

I remain hopeful that ZC and Hammy will make the right decision then. If they don't, then I join you in giving up on the current lot and fighting for a revolution haha! But let's see what happens in September.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Xlife wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:16 am

Nonsense... The youngsters coming through now are arguably just as talented, perhaps even more so. The future looks bright, especially if guys like Muyeye can be persuaded to play for Zim
Everyone is definitely entitled to their opinions, but it's a bit silly to make such bold claims. You are arguing that these players are more talented than the 2nd best player Zim has ever produced.

As for the match itself. I am not surprised. We get to our T20 par of 150, when it could have been so much more, but school boy errors and poor decision making again has cost us. It's the same old story every single time. The same mistakes and the same errors.

The coaches are just not good enough. It's quite simple. Secondly, the players need to take some ownership too. They need to start applying themselves properly. They can't keep making the same mistakes. The coaches may not be doing their job, but surely the players can figure out if they have made a mistake or something and work on fixing it.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

We are as far away from Bangladesh as we ever have been. I think Bangladesh have more chance of beating Australia than we have of beating Bangladesh.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

eugene wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:52 am
We are as far away from Bangladesh as we ever have been. I think Bangladesh have more chance of beating Australia than we have of beating Bangladesh.
True. I'll elaborate further in my next post later tonight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Rajkumar Sharma
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:38 am
eugene wrote:
Till Pakistan or somehow Proteas or Windies is possible. Full strength Windies beat Aus 2nd or 3rd string side 4-1. Beating full strength Aussie side by Bangladesh is an arrogant call.

Lower ranked side having good stat against Bangladesh is Afghanistan. As per odi records, Afghans won 2 and Bangladesh 3 in odis, and in T20I Afghans won 4 and Bangladesh 2, with 3-0 white wash against full strength Bangladesh. Afghans have also won only test against Bangladesh. In slow & spin friendly tracks Afghans can be more threatening team then Bangladesh.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Rajkumar Sharma wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:32 am
Kriterion_BD wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:38 am
eugene wrote:
Till Pakistan or somehow Proteas or Windies is possible. Full strength Windies beat Aus 2nd or 3rd string side 4-1. Beating full strength Aussie side by Bangladesh is an arrogant call.

Lower ranked side having good stat against Bangladesh is Afghanistan. As per odi records, Afghans won 2 and Bangladesh 3 in odis, and in T20I Afghans won 4 and Bangladesh 2, with 3-0 white wash against full strength Bangladesh. Afghans have also won only test against Bangladesh. In slow & spin friendly tracks Afghans can be more threatening team then Bangladesh.
Hey I haven't elaborated yet. But don't forget BD did beat full strength Aussie side in a Test in 2017.

Afghans have lost all 3 world cup games (ODI and T20) vs BD comprehensively from 2014-2019. In ODI world cups Afghans gave a very mediocre record, 1 win vs Scotland and 14 losses vs all other teams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)