State of SA

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimbos_05

Re: State of SA

Post by zimbos_05 »

Zimco wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:49 am
TapsC2 wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:28 am
zimbos05 wrote:
You are right. It is a vicous cycle but there is a reason I picked Ashwell Prince's account. He isn't black and he mentioned how his wife is Indian and he took offence to some derogatory words they were using to describe Indians of South African decent. That just shows how insensitive they were
Not disagreeing, but Indians in South Africa are hated on both sides by a lot of people for two reasons.

1) Hated by the whites because they were seen as black during apartheid and supporting Mandela particularly through Kathrada.
2) Hated by the blacks because they are now seen as the business men who are wealthy and making all the big deals, and leaving the black guys behind.
Both seem like petty/silly reasons. The fact is Indians will leave South Africa and SA will be worse off for it. It wouldn't be the first time Indians/other minorities have fled Africa
They're not silly reasons when you're being persecuted and attacked for them. Indians in Uganda definitely did not feel safe and definitely did not flee.

A lot of people don't want to leave Africa, but you can't blame them.

franco vazquez
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by franco vazquez »

sloandog wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:15 am
Boucher used to have people carrying his kit for him I heard as well. He was a real entitled prick in his youth, not so much now
That is something which all the senior players do, esp in Asian teams.

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

dale steyn has retired :(

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

I remember Steyn and DeVilliers test debut like it was yesterday.

The papers had been talking about this young electric quick bowler and the next Barry Richards with the bat. I remember getting up really early as a kid to watch that match and was mesmerised by Steyn. He just steamed in and looked to bowl as fast as he could, every single ball. He bowled Trescothick and Vaughn with two absolute gems.

Back then there was more emphasis on test cricket and ODI cricket and I think the quality was much higher. Happy memories.

Makes me feel really old :(

PieChucker
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by PieChucker »

I did some media work with the SA cricket team while it was under Graeme Smith's leadership. Have to say I was very unimpressed. One of the team sent me a video of Biff's team talk before a Test Against Australia. I'd liken it to a U15 rugby psych up. Lots of screaming and yelling at the players and plenty of swearing but very little substance or inspiration. While Smith was a very impressive competitor and batsman, his leadership skills were limited. A definite clique of Smith, Boucher and Kallis ruled everything. Of the tree, Kallis was the most likeable, pretty laidback and easy going. It was a play ground atmosphere with lots of psychological bullying going on. Makaya Ntini endured it all with good cheer, because he is an awesome guy and had a thick skin. He eventually earned everybody's respect, but I'm sure he felt it plenty. Its almost as if they were assholes first and racists by default. Their treatment of Paul Adams was shameful - and hard to understand, how could they not know?

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

PieChucker wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:15 pm
I did some media work with the SA cricket team while it was under Graeme Smith's leadership. Have to say I was very unimpressed. One of the team sent me a video of Biff's team talk before a Test Against Australia. I'd liken it to a U15 rugby psych up. Lots of screaming and yelling at the players and plenty of swearing but very little substance or inspiration. While Smith was a very impressive competitor and batsman, his leadership skills were limited. A definite clique of Smith, Boucher and Kallis ruled everything. Of the tree, Kallis was the most likeable, pretty laidback and easy going. It was a play ground atmosphere with lots of psychological bullying going on. Makaya Ntini endured it all with good cheer, because he is an awesome guy and had a thick skin. He eventually earned everybody's respect, but I'm sure he felt it plenty. Its almost as if they were assholes first and racists by default. Their treatment of Paul Adams was shameful - and hard to understand, how could they not know?
Now that is very interesting indeed..
I always thought Smith was a real leader of men, somebody who could inspire with his words. I can see Smith being a fiery character.
One of the worst episodes of racism was when Ngam was in the side in 2000. He experienced some horrific jibes and comments from his team mates

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

sloandog wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:07 pm
I remember Steyn and DeVilliers test debut like it was yesterday.

The papers had been talking about this young electric quick bowler and the next Barry Richards with the bat. I remember getting up really early as a kid to watch that match and was mesmerised by Steyn. He just steamed in and looked to bowl as fast as he could, every single ball. He bowled Trescothick and Vaughn with two absolute gems.

Back then there was more emphasis on test cricket and ODI cricket and I think the quality was much higher. Happy memories.

Makes me feel really old :(
Steyn is one of the finest quicks in cricket history. And apart from Marshall probably the only one under 6 feet tall. He averaged 22 in an era when all other fast bowlers averaged 30 or more. Compared to the current era where all the major teams have quicks averaging 25-27 or less now (Shaheen, Bumrah, Holder, Cummins, Hazlewood, Boult, Southee, Wagner, Roach, Anderson).

True legend!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

I expect Steyn to get announced as a youth coach fairly soon. No chance SA will let him not try and pass on his trade. One of the most lethal bowlers in world cricket. He was super fast, but man was he accurate too.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:10 pm
I expect Steyn to get announced as a youth coach fairly soon. No chance SA will let him not try and pass on his trade. One of the most lethal bowlers in world cricket. He was super fast, but man was he accurate too.
Get him to coach Zim!

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

sloandog wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:59 pm
zimbos_05 wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:10 pm
Get him to coach Zim!
Imagine him working with Blessing & Ngarava! We can dream......