Prematurely writing-off the new generation

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Tinah09

Prematurely writing-off the new generation

Post by Tinah09 »

Admittedly, the Ireland series has so far been a bitter disappointment for loyal Chevron fans, but I urge people to refrain from writing the kids off and reverting to pinning for cricketers who chose to leave and pursue county cricket.

It clear to all that the talent is there. Madhevere is an elegant batsman who, with good coaching can develop into a Hashim Alma-type batsman, Shumba needs to be moved higher up the order and paired with experienced batsman, he appears to be capable of both restraint and aggression. He is one of those batsman who you don't want over-coached and want to retain some of those rough edges. In Myers, I see a stubborn Steve Smith-type, a prize-wicket, but the guy has to put in hours in the nets, talent alone won't cut it at this level. These guys need good coaching, with all due respect Matsikenyeri isn't the guy who'll make these kids world beaters. Stuey was at best a below average batsman, with a largely forgetable career, I don't see how he can coach anyone to a level of greatness he never achieved himself. Marumani needs a lot of club cricket and A games, he is probably not yet ready for international cricket.

In the bowling front, Ngarava has shown that he can be an effective strike bowler in conditions suitable for seam bowling. All in all, we have a lot to work with, obviously the head coach and his staff must go, there are better coaches out there who can do way better.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Prematurely writing-off the new generation

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Who’s writing them off?
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Haven’t seen a single person write them off in terms of talent or potential.

We’ve been writing off the coaches, the management, the crazy selection ‘strategies’ only.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Looking at the title of the topic, I thought the original poster is actually boldly writing the entire new generation off! :) . Now, that would a controversial topic!

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Madhevere and Myers have the talent. They do need quality coaching and guidance, particularly from the senior players, and they will get that with the Big 4 likely staying on at least till the end of the 2023 WC campaign. They have the shots, and the self belief thats more than half the battle right there. The one big thing they need, is a hunger for runs. Just that pure greed to stay at the crease as long as possible and score as many runs as you can.

Haven't seen enough of Shumba, but the little I saw he didn't seem special to me.

As for Marumani...I don't rate him at present. He has so much to work on in his game (eg getting bat to make contact with ball), that I'm not sure he can cover all his bases to compete at international level.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Not a single person has written them off, but I do think the heights you are setting for them are a bit too optimistic, particularly with our current admin and coaching staff.

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:23 pm
Not a single person has written them off, but I do think the heights you are setting for them are a bit too optimistic, particularly with our current admin and coaching staff.
I think I`m a bit too optimistic. Hopefully, I do end up being right :D :D :D

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:23 pm
To be fair I think things were far worse when the likes of BT started but they turned out OK. I actually had to look up how the big 4 started and I saw that BT averaged 23 and 21 in his first 2 years and it took him 5 years to get his first century. It took Williams 10 years to get his first century.

Craig Ervine who was a lot older when he started averaged about 30 at the beginning but he got his first century in his 6th year. Similar story with Raza who was much older and he got his first century in his second year with the team.

Taibu got his first century in his 5th year just like BT. Hami after his debut century in 2001 got his next century 8 years later.

What this tells me is that we are in for a long journey. It also shows why at some point ZC will have to import a couple of batsmen. Chances are these kids won't be the finished product by 2023. It will all depend on how Burl, Tari and fingers crossed Murray (I don't know if he is coming to play this season or not) perform over the next 2 years. The centuries have to come from them or we are in trouble.

It also shows me how well Madhevere has started.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

TapsC2 wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:45 am

To be fair I think things were far worse when the likes of BT started but they turned out OK. I actually had to look up how the big 4 started and I saw that BT averaged 23 and 21 in his first 2 years and it took him 5 years to get his first century. It took Williams 10 years to get his first century.

Craig Ervine who was a lot older when he started averaged about 30 at the beginning but he got his first century in his 6th year. Similar story with Raza who was much older and he got his first century in his second year with the team.

Taibu got his first century in his 5th year just like BT. Hami after his debut century in 2001 got his next century 8 years later.

What this tells me is that we are in for a long journey. It also shows why at some point ZC will have to import a couple of batsmen. Chances are these kids won't be the finished product by 2023. It will all depend on how Burl, Tari and fingers crossed Murray (I don't know if he is coming to play this season or not) perform over the next 2 years. The centuries have to come from them or we are in trouble.

It also shows me how well Madhevere has started.
I don't deny any of the stuff you are saying. Wes definitely has the skill and talent, it's all about progression.

BT came on to the scene in the infamous 2004 walkout. Fortunately, BT was still a product of the system before. So he had the right coaching structure and development. The thing that differs for me with BT, it the mentality. He already had the coaching, the structure and the support to be a quality player. He developed his skill through that, but mostly his attitude helped him. He worked hard and always put in the yards and that is why he got progressively better. In what eventually became a shit system, he stayed good because of that.

Hammy could have had the same because he came from the same set up as BT, but he didn't apply himself. That T20 match against Australia in Cape Town always stands out for me. The mentality he showed is short of a quality player. Hammy was happy with content, not progression. He never really pushed himself nor applied himself, so he had a content career and never quite reached the heights he should have.

This is going to be a big thing for the kids. How they apply themselves both mentally and skill wise in terms of their development. The coaching structure and development structure is not there for them, so it is going to require a lot of hard work on their own. Their mental fortitude is going to be important in their development, and how they do develop. there is a lot for them to work on, but they can certainly get it right if they go down the right path and apply themselves.
Last edited by zimbos_05 on Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I don't deny the talent of the current generation, but these young guys aren't going to reach their full potential in current Zimbabwe setup - they simply won't play enough cricket. Playing 5 or 6 domestic matches per year and maybe 10-15 international games is a poor recipe for success, particularly when you consider how weak the domestic setup is. Any young Zimbabwean cricketer essentially hs to learn on the job.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes