1st ODI Zimbabwe vs Ireland

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: 1st ODI Zimbabwe vs Ireland

Post by zimfan1 »

TapsC2 wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:57 pm
If it doesn't rain and the conditions are similar then I think Burl for Myers would be a very good change because of the legspin. That's if Burl has recovered of course
Don't think he will play for the rest of the tour. A really bad sprain apparently.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

I have to strongly disagree. Based on the match I watched today, that was very obviously not a good pitch for batting earlier in the day. Ervine himself said in the post match that they knew anything over 250 would probably be a winning score. We did very very well to get as many runs as we did.
It's a standard post Match comment...I wouldn't read much into it. The pitch was on the slowish side, but other than it was fairly flat. No excessive swing or seam or turn. It was probably around a 300 par score pitch. I feel like most games in Ireland see 300+ totals batting first. The pitches were quite flat just a few weeks ago in the South Africa series.

If Zimbabwe hadn't batted so cautiously for 25 overs they would have easily gotten 300. If Ireland hadn't collapsed they could have chased 266 pretty easily. That tells you the pitch was decently flat. Not a 400 wicket but flat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

In reality Irelend are a one man team in the batting department. If Stirling fails then we will be on top. Only issue is that he is so damm consistent.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:56 pm

I have to strongly disagree. Based on the match I watched today, that was very obviously not a good pitch for batting earlier in the day. Ervine himself said in the post match that they knew anything over 250 would probably be a winning score. We did very very well to get as many runs as we did.
It's a standard post Match comment...I wouldn't read much into it. The pitch was on the slowish side, but other than it was fairly flat. No excessive swing or seam or turn. It was probably around a 300 par score pitch. I feel like most games in Ireland see 300+ totals batting first. The pitches were quite flat just a few weeks ago in the South Africa series.

If Zimbabwe hadn't batted so cautiously for 25 overs they would have easily gotten 300. If Ireland hadn't collapsed they could have chased 266 pretty easily. That tells you the pitch was decently flat. Not a 400 wicket but flat.
Absolutely ludicrous comment. You must have been watching a different match.

Average score at Stormont batting first in the last decade is 219.

andrewn9

Post by andrewn9 »

CholeZimbo wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:21 pm
jaybro wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:08 pm
Wellington still doesn’t impress me much, but that’s a big wicket
He has improved a lot this year. Remember how awful Cremer was in the first 10 years of his career.
Sorry but I'm not having that. Cremer was an excellent limited overs bowler for most of his career. It was only in the last couple of years of his career that he became more potent at test level.

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

andrewn9 wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:33 pm
CholeZimbo wrote:
jaybro wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:08 pm
Wellington still doesn’t impress me much, but that’s a big wicket
He has improved a lot this year. Remember how awful Cremer was in the first 10 years of his career.
Sorry but I'm not having that. Cremer was an excellent limited overs bowler for most of his career. It was only in the last couple of years of his career that he became more potent at test level.
Laughable. I’ve watched Cremer play for Zim since he was 18, so I won’t waste time here and encourage you to research his stats in his first 7-10 years.

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:56 pm

Some of us watch every minute of the game hey not the scorecard. Zim were not cautious but rather the pitch was very difficult to bat on for most of our batting innings and their spinners also bowled well to contain us. When the pacers returned that’s when we accelerated to a well above par score on that pitch. Will have to disagree with you on this one hey

andrewn9

Post by andrewn9 »

CholeZimbo wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:57 pm
andrewn9 wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:33 pm
CholeZimbo wrote:

Laughable. I’ve watched Cremer play for Zim since he was 18, so I won’t waste time here and encourage you to research his stats in his first 7-10 years.
You say he was awful in the first 10 years of his career. He literally played international limited overs cricket for 10 years. So if he was awful for a whole decade that doesn't leave much room for him to become the quality white ball bowler he undoubtedly was! :lol: You're wasted at zimcricketforums mate. You should be on the stage with this kind of material :lol:

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Wellington’s a Dibbly dobber offie and Cremerd craft was the highly potent yet difficult art of leg spin.
Can’t be compared.
The ceiling for a leggie is much higher.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Clinical win. Congratulations to the boys!