1st ODI Zimbabwe vs Ireland

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: 1st ODI Zimbabwe vs Ireland

Post by Jemisi »

Fell asleep before the wickets started falling. 😴

Happy to see a.good team win.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Haven't watched the game, but from what i've observed and seen....

1) The big 4 have proven their worth again. Yes we need to blood youth, but the way they are going about it is wrong, and the big 4 have shown their value and this to me tells me that the management know nothing, once again.

2) Yes, we would have liked to move at a quicker pace, however, at 3-101 in the 20th over, you kind of need to build a base. Craig and Sean identified over 250 as a winnable score, and built for that. In the end, they were proven right. We won fairly comfortably. Regis and Dion struggling too also shows that it was not the easiest batting pitch.

3) Blessing is by far and away our best bowler. The sad reality is we do not have any other consistent bowlers, and you need to have that extra edge to be a threat.

4) Wellington has proven me wrong, mostly for his economy. Like some have said, not a very lethal bowler, but sometimes your spin bowler does not need to be too lethal. If he can keep it up, no reason why he can't be our limited overs bowler, but definitely not for tests.

slcricfan1 wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:33 am
argh, whatever its tough adjusting. He`ll get better with time and hopefully some good coaching
How much time do you want to give, because the rest of the cricketing world is not waiting around....

Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic)
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic) »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:56 pm

I have to strongly disagree. Based on the match I watched today, that was very obviously not a good pitch for batting earlier in the day. Ervine himself said in the post match that they knew anything over 250 would probably be a winning score. We did very very well to get as many runs as we did.
It's a standard post Match comment...I wouldn't read much into it. The pitch was on the slowish side, but other than it was fairly flat. No excessive swing or seam or turn. It was probably around a 300 par score pitch. I feel like most games in Ireland see 300+ totals batting first. The pitches were quite flat just a few weeks ago in the South Africa series.

If Zimbabwe hadn't batted so cautiously for 25 overs they would have easily gotten 300. If Ireland hadn't collapsed they could have chased 266 pretty easily. That tells you the pitch was decently flat. Not a 400 wicket but flat.
The average score on this pitch is 230+ & the successful chase Ireland ever had is 237 only. So just assumptions that Irish could have chased 266
Zim Rules
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr Satendra Singh, Delhi, India
Twitter: @drsitu

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:11 am

1) The big 4 have proven their worth again. Yes we need to blood youth, but the way they are going about it is wrong, and the big 4 have shown their value and this to me tells me that the management know nothing, once again.

2) Yes, we would have liked to move at a quicker pace, however, at 3-101 in the 20th over, you kind of need to build a base. Craig and Sean identified over 250 as a winnable score, and built for that. In the end, they were proven right. We won fairly comfortably. Regis and Dion struggling too also shows that it was not the easiest batting pitch.

3) Blessing is by far and away our best bowler. The sad reality is we do not have any other consistent bowlers, and you need to have that extra edge to be a threat.

4) Wellington has proven me wrong, mostly for his economy. Like some have said, not a very lethal bowler, but sometimes your spin bowler does not need to be too lethal. If he can keep it up, no reason why he can't be our limited overs bowler, but definitely not for tests.

slcricfan1 wrote:
argh, whatever its tough adjusting. He`ll get better with time and hopefully some good coaching
How much time do you want to give, because the rest of the cricketing world is not waiting around....
the management do know the value of the big 4, which is why they play all the odis. T20s are pretty worthless these days.

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:11 am

slcricfan1 wrote:
who would you bring instead of myers? Btw I`d give 3 years

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic) wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:46 am

The average score on this pitch is 230+ & the successful chase Ireland ever had is 237 only. So just assumptions that Irish could have chased 266
At the 30 over mark, Ireland needed 132 off 20 overs with 8 wickets in hand and the requred run rate was only 6.60

Ireland collapsed and by doing so, they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. As a Bangladesh cricket fan, I'm an expert at identifying when teams manage to fuck up a perfectably chaseable chase.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:14 am

At the 30 over mark, Ireland needed 132 off 20 overs with 8 wickets in hand and the requred run rate was only 6.60

Ireland collapsed and by doing so, they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. As a Bangladesh cricket fan, I'm an expert at identifying when teams manage to fuck up a perfectably chaseable chase.
U right
But hey Blessing can through
Ngarava was on the verge of chucking and the coaches decided on Sean, Jongwe and Masakadza to carry us through..
Late runs by Jongwe and Madhevere with Raza help out..
I think switching Madhevere up and dropping Myers might help..just a thought..

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

Mueddie28 wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:25 am
Kriterion_BD wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:14 am

U right
But hey Blessing can through
Ngarava was on the verge of chucking and the coaches decided on Sean, Jongwe and Masakadza to carry us through..
Late runs by Jongwe and Madhevere with Raza help out..
I think switching Madhevere up and dropping Myers might help..just a thought..
yeah madhevere shoudlve batted higher

Mr Twig

Post by Mr Twig »

Jemisi wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:35 am
Fell asleep before the wickets started falling. 😴

Happy to see a.good team win.
Yeah me too. Kind of surprised when i woke up and checked the score.

It certainly helps when the big 4 are all playing. Myers and Madhavere are still a long way off but every game and every win helps.
Not to forget Muzarabani with some good backup by Ngarava and the spinners.

Rajkumar Sharma
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

Ireland & Netherlands, two odi series wins that can give Zim boost in that super league points table and a chance to avoid qualifiers.